$0.10 NLO MTT: Early in tournament: What did I do wrong with set of jacks?

kartoqraf

kartoqraf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, everybody! This is my first post here! Thanks for the great forum!

So, here we go. Set of jacks vs a flush draw. Things do get crazy at this level, I guess, but I feel that if I had bet correctly, this could have been avoided. What did I do wrong?

After he called my raise on the flop, I thought he might have a Queen. Then he called my raise after Ace appeared on the turn, I thought he might have AK, and only when he raised my river bet I realized he might have been on a flush draw, but it was too late, so I called his re-reaise.

Since this was very early in the tournament, I had no stats on the villain.

PokerStars - $0.09+$0.01|20/40 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 42.88 BB
UTG: 72.25 BB
UTG+1: 42.5 BB
UTG+2: 78.38 BB
Hero (MP): 34.25 BB
MP+1: 55.88 BB
CO: 36.13 BB
BTN: 56.38 BB
SB: 36.75 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has T:diamond: J:club:

UTG calls 1 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 1 BB, fold, CO calls 1 BB, fold, SB calls 0.5 BB, BB checks

Flop: (5 BB, 5 players) J:heart: J:spade: Q:heart:
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets 5 BB, CO calls 5 BB, fold, fold, fold

Turn: (15 BB, 2 players) A:diamond:
Hero bets 10 BB, CO calls 10 BB

River: (35 BB, 2 players) 4:heart:
Hero bets 7.5 BB, CO raises to 20.13 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 10.75 BB and is all-in

CO shows 7:heart: 8:heart: (Flush, Queen High) (Pre 39%, Flop 25%, Turn 16%)
Hero shows T:diamond: J:club: (Three of a Kind, Jacks) (Pre 61%, Flop 75%, Turn 84%)
CO wins 71.5 BB

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold pre

Flop is good

Bet turn bigger, pot or just shove

check / call river as played

MisterLongFace

MisterLongFace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
flop bet looks ok to me, turn bet might be ok on a different board but by the turn there are a lot of hands you need to protect against here so overbetting on the turn i think was the way to go here. we don't know if villian would have folded to that but it would have made a call on the turn a very bad play for them, and that's all you can do really.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would be bet/folding that river. You get value from a lot of other hands that would just check back at this level and no one is really capable of turning their hand into a river bluff.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would be bet/folding that river. You get value from a lot of other hands that would just check back at this level and no one is really capable of turning their hand into a river bluff.

I like bet/fold, but 2/3 of your stack is in the middle...

R

RealChaser74

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding pre is the best option here but since you didnt a bigger flop raise would let you now where you stand. seeing as how there is an over card out there and 2 hearts you need to be worried about the villian here have 4 to a flush or even flopping a boat

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So's you know. Wasn't a set. It was trips, and trips are always vulnerable.

So on the flop, you're looking at a Fl draw and a possible boat.

I would have check/folded the river. Seemed to be an obvious Fl on the river.

You played this way too hard for what you had.

-

D

detourglr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pre flop.. Dont like the limp first of all. never limp but always make a raise,, if your hand isnt worth the raise than it aint playing... I break this rule myself, depending onthe speed of the table how aggressive everyone is and that..
Also I might not play 10-J in the middle postion.. but here again depends on what the other players are like.
Flop- I think you made a good bet.. If you would have raised preflop you could use the info what this player might call a raise with.. since it is a limp than it can be any two cards.. so could be flush and straight draw (K-10)..
Turn... Since you bet the pot on the flop... it is either bet the pot or check/fold.. Make them pay on the flush draw however if he had K-10 he would have the straight.
River... without the history of the villian.. I do not like you calling his all-in... he has either made his flush draw or he is representing a flush.. so you have to go on the Vilian history and determine if he would bluff in this spot. but without knowing anything I would have folded.. especially in a tournament setting becuase you would still have chips to continue on.
this reminds me of a saying that I head from a poker pro (forget with one).. folding is only a small mistake, calling can be a big mistake..

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Turn... Since you bet the pot on the flop... it is either bet the pot or check/fold.. Make them pay on the flush draw however if he had K-10 he would have the straight.
I'm confused :confused:
bet 'pot' or check/fold? Make them pay if they're on a flush draw but he might have a straight with KT? So which is it? Are you betting 'pot' or are you check/folding..... cuz they seem to be kinda the opposite of one another (this is the part where I became confused :confused: )

Z

Zin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your mistake was playing J 10 oop to begin with.

D

detourglr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm confused :confused:
bet 'pot' or check/fold? Make them pay if they're on a flush draw but he might have a straight with KT? So which is it? Are you betting 'pot' or are you check/folding..... cuz they seem to be kinda the opposite of one another (this is the part where I became confused :confused: )

I am saying this is the two options i think you have.. Bet partial of the pot ( 1/2 or 2/3 of the pot ) isnt an option in my book.. Cause if someone pushes you all in.. I think you are pot comited at that point.

K

kmbpoker

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
personally i would have pushed on flop ,online mind you not live. the reason being is if online players get a wiff of the flop they call allin. if they draw out so be it but i will try and felt em right from the get go.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I am saying this is the two options i think you have.. Bet partial of the pot ( 1/2 or 2/3 of the pot ) isnt an option in my book.. Cause if someone pushes you all in.. I think you are pot comited at that point.
"IF" you bet out 2/3 pot on the flop you will have only invested 4bb's (1bb + 3bb's) preflop so you've only invested ~10% of your stack.