$0.01 NLHE MTT Rebuy: QQ postflop

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played it perfect post. You got the table down to heads up which is a perfect situation with an over-pair. Only thing that gets there on the turn really is the flush draw. They could have had an 8 on the flop and just betting to think you only have high cards. I would have called and depending on what the river was, make a big bet.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me the main issue in this hand is your bet sizing especially preflop, where you went way to small. By going so small you invite multiway action, which is not ideal, and you also simply dont get enough value from your hand. Even on the flop I would probably go a bit larger to charge all those draws and second best hands, they can have.

The turn card was obviously not ideal, and at this point your hand has become a bluff catcher, so checking is the right play. Check-folding to such a small bet is very weak though. The spot sucks, and this is part of the reason, why you dont want to go so small and allow him to take position on you as cheaply as possible.

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me the main issue in this hand is your bet sizing especially preflop, where you went way to small. By going so small you invite multiway action, which is not ideal, and you also simply dont get enough value from your hand. Even on the flop I would probably go a bit larger to charge all those draws and second best hands, they can have.

The turn card was obviously not ideal, and at this point your hand has become a bluff catcher, so checking is the right play. Check-folding to such a small bet is very weak though. The spot sucks, and this is part of the reason, why you dont want to go so small and allow him to take position on you as cheaply as possible.

I agree on everything, having 3rd best hand in preflop, and with limpers before you, bet big preflop. Also, don’t give up that easy postflop, it will be easy to bluff you.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After an open limp, I think $350-$400 is a better raise size.

Once you check and villain makes such a small bet, I think you have to call the turn. Maybe call another small bet on the river (assuming no more hearts or straight cards). After your check, he could have a lot of worse hands than QQ that now think they're ahead.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello. Can someone help with analysis for this hand: https://www.boomplayer.com/en/31925034_71FB414B65. Should I play more aggressive postflop?

Thank U 4 Posting.

As was already stated a larger raise size preflop is necessary because your table is calling too often. QQ is best heads up and you want the button to fold.

Standard sizing is 3x + each limper that would be 400. That applies to standard villains that are not to tight not too loose. Your table was loose so you could size up. You will have to experiment with your player pool. Keep making larger raises on loose tables to see where the upper range is in order to get 1 caller.

Minimum you should be making this 500 preflop. If I thought the limper would chase with any Ax or suited Kx I would bet 1000 or even shove. You have 42 BB so if you can get the limper to call preflop for 10bb and then fold the flop that was a good result.

As played: Flop bet is great you are now heads up.
The skill you are missing is hand ranging. The first step in hand ranging is note taking.
So you should have been watching how the button plays and should have some notes on the button villain.

The basic note options are:

Passive-Aggressive-Tight-Loose-Skilled-Weak-Bluffs-Does not bluff-Chases hands-Traps-Straight forward play-Tricky play-over values top pair -etc....

Bet sizing notes are:

Small bets are weak not strong-or strong not weak-over bets made hands- under values made hands-does not bet draws or weak made hands-bet once then checks-etc...

So if you have no notes which you did not imply you did. Let us think about villain range based on board and actions alone.

Preflop bet sizing does not narrow button range at all.
So villain can have all AhXh KhXH QhXh etc etc.
Plus many many one heart hands AhJd etc etc

Flop sizing does not narrow villain's range as villain may float this flop with position.

Stack size plays a role here. Villain has 2x your stack so cannot be knocked out by a mistake, so villain could risk more in position. This is an important data point for understanding if this could be a bluff?

Turn board is 3s8h7h10h

If this is a thin value / semi bluff type of bet what hands could villain bet?

Ah10c-Ah8x-Ah7x -- Kh10x -Qh10x -Jh10x Jh8x 10x9h- 9h8x-9h7x 7x6h--any A10 K10 etc...

So the question for you is would villain only bet 500 with these hands? Is this a semi bluff sizing from this villain?

Is this a test the waters see if U will fold bet or nut value bet?

If you notice how many hands villain might bet here it would suggest you should call that turn bet for that sizing. Then decide on the river what to do.

So my suggestion is you take the time to think through villains hand ranges in this spot. A more thorough evaluation of this hand, as this was just a rudimentary example by me, will take some time, maybe even an hour. If you do this kind of hand range evaluation several times a week, in a few months you will be a range reading beast.

Note taking in game will help you refine your ranges and you will start seeing patterns in villain's ranges correlated to their actions.

Hope this helps

:):)

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am going to respectfully disagree with everyone saying you played this fine pre and/or post flop. I see multiple mistakes from my viewpoint. Hopefully this helps.
Preflop is your first mistake - the raise sizing is too small for one limper in front. I would go minimum 375 - 425 is also fairly acceptable here. General rule of thumb for a preflop raise should be around "standard raise size (whatever your choice may be, mine is usually 2.5x) + 1 bb per limper + anywhere from .5 - 1bb for a "no limping" tax" - so here I would go "250 + 100 + 75 = 425" - make sense? Moving on

Post flop we go multi way which is def not ideal for QQ, but we made this bed by raising too small and now we have to lay in it - so checks to us and we bet about 40% pot...this is another bet size which is waaaaay too small. The 8h7h is pretty relevant and even though this is not the wettest board in the world it is also not one we want to be offering a good price to draws on - so we need to bet BIG here and give the draws a bad price to call - I would go about 725 - 800 (70 - 75% pot).

The turn I think is a mistake too. Checking the heart is fine - but why are we folding to such a small blocker style bet? If we are always giving him credit for hearts here and folding QQ then we are pretty much folding our entire range thus making us a super easy target. If I knew you were doing this with big overs, I would be making your life super miserable everytime a wet board comes out and you and I are at the same table.

Anyhow - it is absolutely a mistake to be folding QQ here - 99 takes the initiative to bet here, JJ bets this, JT bets here, AK with a heart bets here, AQ does the same when checked to. I think sets would have raised us already, so relatively we only lose to 2 hands being 96 and J9, how often to we run into those? We dont have to fear QJs or any other Qx hands as much - hell we block half the combos in existence and as I mentioned above we are beating a ton of hands that would take the betting lead when checked to. Even if he does have a flush for the price he played we cant fold here. HAVE to call.

As far as that goes when we call turn I would pot control and check-call all rivers that are not a heart, J, K or an A. Folding the turn just makes us super exploitable unless you had a solid note on this guy that he only bets the nuts.

Last edited:
SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After an open limp, I think $350-$400 is a better raise size.

Once you check and villain makes such a small bet, I think you have to call the turn. Maybe call another small bet on the river (assuming no more hearts or straight cards). After your check, he could have a lot of worse hands than QQ that now think they're ahead.

Thats true. Turn check call or check-push will be ok

Stevendewitt7

Stevendewitt7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am going to respectfully disagree with everyone saying you played this fine pre and/or post flop. I see multiple mistakes from my viewpoint. Hopefully this helps.
Preflop is your first mistake - the raise sizing is too small for one limper in front. I would go minimum 375 - 425 is also fairly acceptable here. General rule of thumb for a preflop raise should be around "standard raise size (whatever your choice may be, mine is usually 2.5x) + 1 bb per limper + anywhere from .5 - 1bb for a "no limping" tax" - so here I would go "250 + 100 + 75 = 425" - make sense? Moving on

Post flop we go multi way which is def not ideal for QQ, but we made this bed by raising too small and now we have to lay in it - so checks to us and we bet about 40% pot...this is another bet size which is waaaaay too small. The 8h7h is pretty relevant and even though this is not the wettest board in the world it is also not one we want to be offering a good price to draws on - so we need to bet BIG here and give the draws a bad price to call - I would go about 725 - 800 (70 - 75% pot).

The turn I think is a mistake too. Checking the heart is fine - but why are we folding to such a small blocker style bet? If we are always giving him credit for hearts here and folding QQ then we are pretty much folding our entire range thus making us a super easy target. If I knew you were doing this with big overs, I would be making your life super miserable everytime a wet board comes out and you and I are at the same table.

Anyhow - it is absolutely a mistake to be folding QQ here - 99 takes the initiative to bet here, JJ bets this, JT bets here, AK with a heart bets here, AQ does the same when checked to. I think sets would have raised us already, so relatively we only lose to 2 hands being 96 and J9, how often to we run into those? We dont have to fear QJs or any other Qx hands as much - hell we block half the combos in existence and as I mentioned above we are beating a ton of hands that would take the betting lead when checked to. Even if he does have a flush for the price he played we cant fold here. HAVE to call.

As far as that goes when we call turn I would pot control and check-call all rivers that are not a heart, J, K or an A. Folding the turn just makes us super exploitable unless you had a solid note on this guy that he only bets the nuts.
This is solid advice. My instinct says dude had Ah/8? I wouldve back raised to chin check him but thats my tag ass.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
C QQ in this step is a standard raise 3-4bb + b for each limp. You bet 260 instead of 600. Of course you made the call hand worse. 10j ss and caught a flush draw on the flop. Your stronger hand is weaker on the turn. We do not raise before the flop for that would raise the pot. In order to reduce the chances outplayed us in the next street.