Who do you think is the best athlete in history?

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I am a big fan of football and I could name Maradona or Messi. I also have admiration for Jordan or Tom Brady. But I think the best sports athlete I ever saw is Roger Federer.
Maradona is the ultimate sportsman, a Nietzschean overman combining genius, lion and devil. I'm not sure he was was only human, maybe a demigod. His balls were huge when it counted.

D

DrBadBeat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bo Jackson in terms of sports prowess.

I think LeBron in terms of pure athlete even though I have Jordan as a better basketball player if that makes sense.

machinm19

machinm19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow this is hard, I would say Usain Bolt. What a great person too. I also worshipped Maradona as a kid he was honestly unreal. I could not believe my eyes at how good Diego was at football.

Whompus

Whompus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Jordan in basketball, Brady in football!!

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Micheal Jordan - If he played in today nba where there no blocking and got fouled all the time he prob get over 50 points per game

D

Danymanxd

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Carl Lewis throughout the political and cultural environment. 10 medals

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I refrain from answering, it's just that my list of the greatest athletes is very long:unsure:

Argonaut

Argonaut

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ancient World - Leonidas of Rhodes

Modern World - Jim Thorpe

F

Foldcallraise

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
As I have been following soccer since I was little, I put Lionel Messi of my generation, he is different, he does the simple and does well, despite the age at which he is far from his golden years, he is a very important figure in the world of soccer

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bo Jackson yes and let us not forget another 2 sport superstar Neon Deion Sanders the only athlete to play in a super bowl and world series he was also the only athlete to suit up in a football game (Falcons) and a baseball game (Braves) on the same day.

rucucu16

rucucu16

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think it is very difficult to choose just one, there were great athletes in many disciplines, Jordan in basketball, Maradona in soccer, Messi, Federer in tennis, Bolt in athletics and so we could continue all day

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Katinka Hosszú (swimmer), Maradona (soccer), Sergei Bubka (ukrainian pole vaulter), Mohammed Ali (box) and many many more...

juan1579

juan1579

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think it depends on each sport in soccer, Maradonna and Jordan in basketball.

S

stepashka321

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a bit wonder, why so many people nominate for athletes from basketball and football. In team games, psychology is so important, not physical development or technique , people who like to delve into themselves find it more difficult to fully realize themselves there.
Athletes from solo disciplines impress me more, let it be jamaican Usain Bolt. In vain, of course, he didn’t run the distance to the end at full strength in Berlin, so the record would have been better, and not 9.58 seconds on 100m.

Last edited:
722Wade722

722Wade722

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm not a fan of boxing, but he is the greatest:

Cassius Clay / Muhammad Ali
I’d have to agree, not only great in his sport but given the times and the politics he came up in and how he persevered only solidifies it for me.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great Question!
Personally - i would have to vote for Jesse Owens - for reasons more than just athletics.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Such a tough and interesting question. Like a few posters above, I also like Jim Thorpe but Bo Jackson and Dione Sanders are pretty close and Wilt Chamberlin was amazing. He is the ONLY person that they had to change the NBA rules for and after he retired from the NBA, he had a tremendous volleyball career. But, how about Micheal Phelps, Most decorated athlete in Olympic history. He certainly has to be a candidate. This is all with an American bias of course because I rarely get to see athletes from other countries play.

IronMike9000

IronMike9000

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Michael Phelps 100%
250 million play football with 3.5 billion fans, less than 1 million swim competitively the talent pool (excuse the pun) for football is far greater. If 250 million swam competively Phelps would be noting than a lifeguard. Messi is the GOAT.

IronMike9000

IronMike9000

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
I think Cristiano Ronaldo is one of the biggest references in modern sport, because his commitment, his will to win, his care and his professionalism is something unique, especially for football players today. He's an inspiration for life and I don't even like football, but he's speechless...
And Messi is better

AlphaCentauro

AlphaCentauro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a big fan of football and I could name Maradona or Messi. I also have admiration for Jordan or Tom Brady. But I think the best sports athlete I ever saw is Roger Federer.
Roy Jones Jr and this is a pure subjective opinion!