ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Anyone enjoy the hobby? It sure is booming right now. What sport do you collect? I collect baseball, basketball, and football but baseball is the only economical choice right now. Basketball card was prices are ridiculous! I've been trading and wheeling and dealing a tad also, but nothing major. I collect Cincinnati Reds, Eric Davis, Ken Griffey Jr, Cal Ripken Jr, Nolan Ryan, Michael Jordan and former Kentucky basketball players in the pros. I collect a lot of other stuff too but those are the big ones I can think of right now.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
i have basketball cards i know i have rookie cards of someone famous but i need to recheck it in my parents house hope my mom did not throw it haha

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Although I never really collected sports cards, I know several who did (mostly Baseball and American Football, but also some Hockey, Basketball etc.)

I do however, have memories of playing on the floor of our house with baseball cards (duplicates and not 1st edition of course). I'd arrange them out as if on a baseball field. Each card would go to their corresponding position (pitcher on pitcher's mound, baseman on bases, outfielders in the outfield etc.) and I'd play an actual baseball "game" out with a myriad of rules I had for determining what play and outcome occurred.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
i have basketball cards i know i have rookie cards of someone famous but i need to recheck it in my parents house hope my mom did not throw it haha

Haha. Yeah you better check the prices are insane right now. Still, stuff from the late 80s and early 90s usually isn't worth much but there are exceptions.

Although I never really collected sports cards, I know several who did (mostly Baseball and American Football, but also some Hockey, Basketball etc.)

I do however, have memories of playing on the floor of our house with baseball cards (duplicates and not 1st edition of course). I'd arrange them out as if on a baseball field. Each card would go to their corresponding position (pitcher on pitcher's mound, baseman on bases, outfielders in the outfield etc.) and I'd play an actual baseball "game" out with a myriad of rules I had for determining what play and outcome occurred.

That sounds fun and creative. Childhood was way cooler when you had to use your imagination to entertain yourself:)

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Has anyone had their collection graded?

If it has not been protected and there is some oxidation on one side - then is it junk and not worth spending the money on grading?

Thanks.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What's the most reliable source for pricing cards these days? Many years ago when I collected, there was a monthly magazine from Beckett.

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
currently buying the Tim Hortons canada 2021-22 upperdeck cards, I have 2 full sets and working on 3 and and fourth just need a few more hockey heroes and red die cut too finish them, also opened a Nathan Mackinnon jersey card I have yet to redeem dunno If I want to keep it or sell it on ebay yet..

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I Do Not Actively Collect Sports Cards...Anymore..

but as kid I use to love them...and they still hold a lot of value in my heart...memories...

I still have most of them just stored away in containers, almost all in very good condition.

Most are from the late 60's, 70's and 80's... I would estimate over 100,000 cards in total... rarely have I looked at them unless something special comes up like a new friend of mine one time mentioning that he was Marv Hubbard's nephew (Oakland Raider FB '69-75)... and I said oh yeah, I have some of his cards...lol. I had a pretty good idea of where the cards from that timeframe were and a week later, I displayed them for him. Kind of funny how I can still picture these cards from the late 60's and early 70's in my mind. I remember spending my paper route money on these cards and reading each card in its entirety... kind of crazy... oh well those were the days...

I grew up a Cincinnati Reds fan, so yes I have a lot of those cards...Big Red Machine days... Johnny Bench rookie card (1968) and Pete Rose cards.. and all the rest of the team..lol. Those were prized cards when I opened my $.10 pack of 10 cards...

On a non-card related note, as a kid I use to get to skip school every opening day to go to the Cincinnati Reds home opener... and I was at Riverfront stadium in the green seats and got to see a birds-eye view of Hammer'n Hank hit 714 and pull even with Babe Ruth...the ball cleared the wall just below our seats...I can still picture it...

But back to reality, yes, some of these cards are worth some money, but the vast majority are not worth much of anything... so no delusion of them being worth a lot of money... more just worth the memories... I have never sold a card...maybe when I retire and have some time on my hands I will sort through them and find a way to make a few bucks off them and pass them on to those that appreciate them...time will tell... I guess my worst fear would be that they would be sold at an estate sale for $100... yikes.. I hope that does not happen...lol

Thank You for Allowing Me to Walk Down Memory Lane!

And Thank You for the post ScooperNova and OMG, I see my Ribby Friend Normino has also posted in this thread!

Teddy

Last edited:
Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
but as kid I use to love them...and they still hold a lot of value in my heart...memories...

I still have most of them just stored away in containers, almost all in very good condition.

Most are from the late 60's, 70's and 80's... I would estimate over 100,000 cards in total... rarely have I looked at them unless something special comes up like a new friend of mine one time mentioning that he was Marv Hubbard's nephew (Oakland Raider FB '69-75)... and I said oh yeah, I have some of his cards...lol. I had a pretty good idea of where the cards from that timeframe were and a week later, I displayed them for him. Kind of funny how I can still picture these cards from the late 60's and early 70's in my mind. I remember spending my paper route money on these cards and reading each card in its entirety... kind of crazy... oh well those were the days...

I grew up a Cincinnati Reds fan, so yes I have a lot of those cards...Big Red Machine days... Johnny Bench rookie card (1968) and Pete Rose cards.. and all the rest of the team..lol. Those were prized cards when I opened my $.10 pack of 10 cards...

On a non-card related note, as a kid I use to get to skip school every opening day to go to the Cincinnati Reds home opener... and I was at Riverfront stadium in the green seats and got to see a birds-eye view of Hammer'n Hank hit 714 and pull even with Babe Ruth...the ball cleared the wall just below our seats...I can still picture it...

But back to reality, yes, some of these cards are worth some money, but the vast majority are not worth much of anything... so no delusion of them being worth a lot of money... more just worth the memories... I have never sold a card...maybe when I retire and have some time on my hands I will sort through them and find a way to make a few bucks off them and pass them on to those that appreciate them...time will tell... I guess my worst fear would be that they would be sold at an estate sale for $100... yikes.. I hope that does not happen...lol

And Thank You for the post ScooperNova and OMG, I see my Ribby Friend Normino has also posted in this thread!

Teddy

If you got some value rookie crads you should sell them I seen an article earlier in the year people were leaning towards collectible during the covid 19 pandemic and the trust in money being low.. https://globalnews.ca/news/7650938/sports-cards-collectors-covid-19/

I also have this card https://www.radicards.com/baseball/jose-canseco-truth-or-dare-broder/ I just dunno if its a mint!

Last edited:
Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In brazil there is no such culture. In the past, albums were collected, but they weren't exactly sports cards.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to collect basketball and soccer cards, but they are now very retro compared to these new hypersuper jersey signed and ... etc cards. It has now become a huge business and it is incredibly expensive to buy such boxes. They are beautiful, imaginative but expensive.
I don’t even know exactly anymore, but I think the most expensive basket card is a card depicting LeBron James for $ 5.2 million change hands. :rolleyes:
Madness. :eek:

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Still shaking my head,when I was a young boy I had an uncle who worked for O' Pee Che, had every card from around 1967 till 1974 both cut and uncut sheets kept them stored under my bed for years and forgot all about them, time passed got older moved out, one day mom is cleaning decides to pull out this box looks at it says to herself Frank is an adult I'll just throw this stuff out, coulda cryied then and still crying now, the value of those cards would be through the roof

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Sorry everyone, im not getting notifications about replies or anything I used to get emails about. Not sure what happened.

Has anyone had their collection graded?

If it has not been protected and there is some oxidation on one side - then is it junk and not worth spending the money on grading?

Thanks.

It really just depends on what the card is and how badly it's damaged. I'm no expert but if you want to send or post a pic I'll answer the best I can. Grading, especially with PSA, is very expensive right now.

What's the most reliable source for pricing cards these days? Many years ago when I collected, there was a monthly magazine from Beckett.
I used to love beckett. The best thing to do now is search the card on ebay and filter to sold listings. 130 point is also a good resource.

Teddy

Great post. Thanks for sharing. I'm also a Reds fan and some of those cards you mentioned are a dream to me. I love cards from the Big Red Machine Era.

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will buy all the Wayne Gretzky rookie cards you have =) Conner mcjesus too ..cards are cool used to collect them as a kid

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my country, argentina, there is no such hobby here, cards are not collected since they do not exist. But I do believe that there are people who collect pokemon cards.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've actually been able to find some retail stuff on shelves lately. Im wondering when the market is going to correct itself. Theres going to be a lot of "investors" with modern day product who lose their rear ends.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I wasn't even aware people call them hold cards. I mean its not technically incorrect, but it isn't the accepted terminology. I don't think this is as much some controversy as a few people mishearing a word and repeating it. No shame in calling them either I suppose

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Way too many baseball cards from the 70s and 80s. Need to sell them at some point, but just never get around to it.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Walmart just started getting the Topps holiday edition in stores. It’s a good value compared to some other retail offerings.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Still, stuff from the late 80s and early 90s usually isn't worth much but there are exceptions,

Yeah, that’s when I was really collecting them. I do have a few that are probably still worth decent money like Dan Mario’s rookie card, Jerry Rice’s rookie card and Barry Sanders rookie card.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah, that’s when I was really collecting them. I do have a few that are probably still worth decent money like Dan Mario’s rookie card, Jerry Rice’s rookie card and Barry Sanders rookie card.
Yeah some of those probably are. I have a couple of the Sanders rookies and I don't think they are worth much ungraded, but they're worth something and nice cards to have. I'm not sure about the Marino but I bet its pretty good value. I'd love to have a Jerry Rice rookie and they can go for some decent money in good shape.

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love how cool the cards have become ..I mean back in the 80s when I started they were simple cards ,simple pictures ..wow compared to now the cards I see kids and collectors having ..not going to lie and downplay it they’re pretty awesome

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I went a lil over board this year I have 4 timmies hockey card sets, won a Nathan Mckinnon jersey card and ebayed the 1-12000 packs (1500 available) 1st round draft pic card and also bought the 1-12000 packs (1500 available) Wayne Gretzky tribute card.. although i dunno if the sets will be worth anything as the stats on the back are outdated and dont include last year stats when it was the covid lockdown!

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My boyfriend has over 50,000 cards of all the sports, starting lineup figurines and to tell u the truth dont know why he keeps them

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars