Should Poker be an Olympic Sport?

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely not, there is a reason, why snooker, darts, chess etc are not in the Olympics. For the simple fact, they are classed as games.

zorro222_zorro222

zorro222_zorro222

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
No, poker (like chess, checkers, etc. ) is an intellectual game and should not be included with physical competitions such as the olympics.

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You'd have to combine it with some other sport. Like skiing and skeet shooting to reveal your cards, or make the chips 50 lbs each. lol. Sorry I think this thread is kinda whack. I could just see some fat boozed up cigar smoking poker player up on the podium. Never going to happen.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Olympics for mind games would sure be a lot cheaper to host than regular olympics since the host country would not have to build the various venues. It could be that in the future the regular olympics are not held just because no country can afford to host them.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
As has already been detailed in other such threads, Chess whilst recognized as a 'sport' by the Olympics Committee for decades has never been invited to the games.

Similarly, Bridge, which has international leagues and global player rankings has also never been accepted after some intense lobbying. So, the idea poker would be accepted as opposed to Chess or Bridge is wishful thinking.

Personally, I find the idea of proposing poker (or e-sports etc. etc.) for the Olympics fairly ludicrous. The impression I get (fair or not) is such an idea is generally proposed by those who have never played sports at a competitive level.

PockerGod

PockerGod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think since poker is still considered gambling it will not. If it gets accepted as a game/sport like chess it could in the future. Esports like Call of Duty have been in the X games, so it is possible.

TirariAchref

TirariAchref

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
Poker is gambling i don't think that one day will be.

Luka22guro

Luka22guro

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How about poker in the Olympics?

Do you think it is possible in the near future, as his popularity grows in poker, that he will be represented at the Olympic Games?

P

pakyut

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker can't be an olympic event. Time consuming. Maybe it can be an olympic event if they change the game of poker to make it shorter like hyper tournament with 3 mins blinds. Maybe it's possible.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a good question...poker requires strategy, intelligence, study your opponents, understand how the game is going on...like other sports.
So, what´s your oppinion...should poker be an Olympic Sport?
Remember that: prizes will be medals, worldwide fame, but no money (you will receive money only if your country´s olympic committee or your country´s government do that).
for me that would be a dream! And it would also be a great way to detach poker from this image of gambling and money involved. Poker is much more than money or a game of chance. And it would also be a great way for players who are good but still don't have prestige due to lack of invention. They could be done as qualifiers during the year in each country so each country would choose its best players and then the final tournament would be played at the olympics. Like any other sport.:)

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker can't be an olympic event. Time consuming. Maybe it can be an olympic event if they change the game of poker to make it shorter like hyper tournament with 3 mins blinds. Maybe it's possible.

I don't understand your question of delay? many sports are time consuming and the qualifiers would do the job , there could be brackets and groups played on several days like different sports

S

stank12345

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No it can not be a olympic sport its not a test of physical prowess

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if it was what would be the point of all the tourneys on pokergo such as wsop and b how would they win any money??

C

CaptainXL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love the idea, a message to all the obsessive jocks. I wish.

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If poker is an Olympic sport, then it will be the only sport that doesn't require a referee.

Ragonesi

Ragonesi

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not at all an Olympic game, any sport you see there requires 100% skill & training and 0% of luck, Poker u need luck to win, you can be the best skilled poker player but if you only get 7 2 u never winning tournaments

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

Are you kidding? NO! Next thing you'll want to have NASCAR as an Olympic sport.

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think not, it's a bigger intellectual game

Kennemelo

Kennemelo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think sometimes it lacks spectacle, especially when it's a 100+ table tournament:)

M

Minakshi

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say yes but approval will be difficult

J

jj6m

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes Yes Yes it should be, could have medals for each variety of game.