Chips
What did you think of it

V

vivili171

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Biggest lack of respect for the king of football several Brazilian players did not go to the king's funeral

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have mixed feelings about this.

Yes, he's the greatest brazilian football player so brazilian players should honor him

But at time same time Pele himself didn't attend his own daughter's funeral

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What did you think of it

Perhaps they couldn't make it.

Thing is... todays generation are not compelled to honour past heroes. I think it would be disrespectful if team mates had not turned up (when they could have) because their generation understands why they would be doing it. To show their respect.

It's easy to criticize without knowing the facts. Some people just don't like funerals...they don't have to justify it to anyone.

I'm reading in some papers they are comparing Pele to Nelson Mandela or Mahatma Gandhi....I think people are getting carried away.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't think any of a current team should be expected to attend. If for example you have only met once or twice or maybe never, why should you go to his funeral. If the national team were all going together, officially, and some said no, then this is maybe different. But each human should be free to make their own personal choices!

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Pele deserves to be led on the last road by several legends of world football.

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think there is a difference between admiration and friendship. I would never miss a wake for someone close to me, but that wouldn't happen again just because someone was known in the profession. Do all successful businessmen attend funerals for people in the same profession whom they admire? of course not, and that's okay, because in football there has to be?

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe they were not invited/welcome. Maybe they could not get permission from their current situation to attend.

max82nik

max82nik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
They may not have made it in time.

The point is that today's generation does not have to honor the heroes of the past. I think it would be disrespectful if teammates didn't show up (when they could) because their generation understands why they're doing it. To show my respect.

It's easy to criticize without knowing the facts. Some people just don't like funerals... they don't have to make excuses to anyone.

I read in some newspapers that Pele is compared to Nelson Mandela or Mahatma Gandhi... I think people get carried away.
I think this is everyone's business. Who wants to go and who doesn't want to. You don't have to blame them for this.

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There you find out who is who.

No... you really don't

I know several people in recent years who lost a very good friend and their funerals clashed with a pre-booked expensive family holiday.

Crap situations like that frequently happen...such is life...is the best friend of 30 years that goes on holiday, rather than cancelling and attending, a bad person? Not a real friend after all?

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pele is a football legend. But there are many reasons why someone might not show up for a funeral. These may be serious reasons or not. But sometimes it's hard to say goodbye.

AdiS18

AdiS18

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
In my opinion??? Personally, I don't like funerals (but who does?) so I avoid going every time. Maybe the players who didn't make it to the funeral think like me. I strongly believe that funerals should only be in the family. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I think.