$5 360 max trips on flop multiway pot 1st to act

Stefanicov

Stefanicov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok so ive hit a v nice flop and comfortable i am ahead how do i play it to get max value

pokerstars Game #9836392914: Tournament #49447258, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2007/05/10 - 00:54:33 (ET)
Table '49447258 35' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: crochunter88 (2135 in chips)
Seat 2: Einstein0909 (3075 in chips)
Seat 3: Stefanicov (2632 in chips)
Seat 4: rmbon (3497 in chips)
Seat 5: JUSTFOLD615 (875 in chips)
Seat 6: supermann121 (725 in chips)
Seat 7: JoeHockey (1675 in chips)
Seat 8: dumbfounded (4018 in chips)
Seat 9: TEEJER25 (2090 in chips)
Einstein0909: posts small blind 25
Stefanicov: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Stefanicov [7c Ad]
rmbon: calls 50
JUSTFOLD615: calls 50
supermann121: folds
JoeHockey: calls 50
dumbfounded: folds
TEEJER25: folds
crochunter88: calls 50
Einstein0909: calls 25
Stefanicov: checks
*** FLOP *** [7d Jh 7s] no draws so maybe slowplay

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
multi-way pot with 5 limpers...hmmmm.
What if one or two are holding a Jack? I would sometimes slowplay, but if another jack turns up on the turn, then It may be safe to say that your behind, now if the Jack had been a card lower than a 7 then its a definite slowplay,but as it stands, make a nice bet, maybe 2/3rd pot and the player/s left may be holding on to a jack.
and hope that the turn isn't a jack.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Curious hand with all those players involved in it. I agree with shinedown, I don't think I slowplay this against another 5 players, too much crap can happen. I know that the question you're asking is how to get max value and betting probably won't accomplish that, but you can't give free cards to hands like T9s or 98s which can happen if they all check after you. Sometimes its better to make a small profit rather than lose alot. Maybe one way to go is to make a smallish bet, pot is 300, bet like 100. But if they all fold don't get too upset about it.

Stefanicov

Stefanicov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok i dont get advice here there is no better opportunity to slow play really. Yes if jjack prs as shine says i will be done if i bet or not because jacks will call flop bet at this level. Yes letting in the inside drraws is a risk but tbh here with the number of players in the pot i dont particularly want to scare people off so taking down the pot cant be object number one it has to be to keep chasers in the pot

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi.

I think I bet

However I overbet the Pot. I think this represents a weak jack ( poor kicker) in the BB as much as a 7 to some people. Someone with a Jack will probably call or raise thinking they have you beat. If someone raises your overbet - go all in and/or call an all-in. I am surpised if anyone has limped JJ - as they would raise in early position and squeeze in mid late position. If that happens fine - instances will be far between.

If no one calls or raises, i am happy with the win now. Why.......

....I agree that you do not want to give away free cards with so many limpers. You can put most people on Suited connectors or small/middle PP's. What do you do if you see a 2,3,4,5,6, 8,9 or 10 in the next hand and you did not bet the flop? A boat or straight is a definate possibility (with 5 other players in the pot) for anyone who calls or raises you if you bet on the turn. You want to force those people out now.

the danger of slowing playimg here is that as long as a J does not hot the turn you are married to hand. You think you are in the lead. with 5 limpers its very possible you are not in the lead.

I think you want other people to make a mistake without exposing yourself to Bad beats. ( at least minimising the chances. ). Its amazing how many people will makes these mistake too. hence why the double bluff overbet.

Whats the second worst case ? You take the 300 chips straight away. Not a bad situation.

Your suggesting a check raise from the BB. yes - this will work - but people will know what hand you have once you have done it. People will however be confused by the overbet on the flop - as its unorthodox. You want to be unothrodox at times - especially when your leading.

......ok now to be slaughtered.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely slow play but this is one time where I think I might. Why? Well if nobody has a jack, 7 or PP they will fold to any bet most likely, so you want to give someone the opportunity to either bluff at the pot or hit something on the turn. If someone does have a J,7 or PP they will most likely bet and you can smooth call or raise depending on how many other callers there are. On the turn if nobody raised the flop you can then bet and they mostlikely won't but you on a set and might call or even raise with one pair.

Slow playing is very overdone online but this is one of those times I think it's fairly safe and worth the risk.

kadafi

kadafi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd want to get a few people out of that pot. I'd bet maybe 100-150 you might get called by one or two people and hopefully you might get raised by someone holding a j

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely slow play but this is one time where I think I might. Why? Well if nobody has a jack, 7 or PP they will fold to any bet most likely, so you want to give someone the opportunity to either bluff at the pot or hit something on the turn. If someone does have a J,7 or PP they will most likely bet and you can smooth call or raise depending on how many other callers there are. On the turn if nobody raised the flop you can then bet and they mostlikely won't but you on a set and might call or even raise with one pair.

Slow playing is very overdone online but this is one of those times I think it's fairly safe and worth the risk.

Sorry to be anal - but you have trips - not a set.

I think that in general Having a set is a far better position to be in as its normally disguised.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It must be me then, but I don't like the slowplay here against 5 opponents, no matter how safe it looks. If this gets checked around, which could happen, it's a recipe for disaster.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It must be me then, but I don't like the slowplay here against 5 opponents, no matter how safe it looks. If this gets checked around, which could happen, it's a recipe for disaster.

Other than another jack, what card could come on the turn that is a disaster? If someone has a jack or PP they will most likely bet not check around. So if it's checked around the assumption would be that nobody has a PP or a jack. If that is the case, what card can come on the turn that beats you? We can't play scared all the time and figure out the best way to collect the most chips not just get everybody out. I agree that slow playing is way overdone in most case but realisticaly it would take runner-runner to beat you and you can't play scared of runner-runner and expect to win the tourney. And winning is the object not limping into the money.

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I totally agree with you Joe -

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Other than another jack, what card could come on the turn that is a disaster? If someone has a jack or PP they will most likely bet not check around. So if it's checked around the assumption would be that nobody has a PP or a jack. If that is the case, what card can come on the turn that beats you? We can't play scared all the time and figure out the best way to collect the most chips not just get everybody out. I agree that slow playing is way overdone in most case but realisticaly it would take runner-runner to beat you and you can't play scared of runner-runner and expect to win the tourney. And winning is the object not limping into the money.

Hi

I think there is a big difference between a) running scared b) trying to force an opponent to make a mistake c) protecting yourself.

I agree that we want to win the touney, thats why I am happy to take a 300 pot and/or win a Bigger pot if someone makes a mistake by calling my overbet.

In this scenario even taking the pot down now moves the player to circa 3000 chips, a great platform to go on and win. You are not going to win the tny when the structures are at this level - but you might just lose it.

I am not saying your strategy will not work, and I do understand what your saying - all I am saying is I prefer an Overbet here. ( nothing personal ).

If you were to ask me what I would do with this flop at a later stage with blinds higher then my answer would likely slow play a check/raise all-in as people will be pot committed. But not now.

I guess there is no "right" answer here :eek: a good hand to discuss

Last edited:
Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I check as fast as humanly possible and pray someone has a J or is too attached to mid pair or even has a 7 with weaker kicker.

Yes protect hands but this screams for a check, if you're lucky it will play itself.

Monster.

Stefanicov

Stefanicov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok again i have lost the hh but i sloowplayed to the hilt and got paid by aj taking me to 6k chips i posted this one because there are many plays tht could be made when this flop comes and i have found out tht there are a lot of scared players at cc maybe some of u should not so much worry about getting outd=rawn and look at winnings maximisation why would you want to get to 3 k when u can get to 6k mtts are all about getting the maximum possible chips from each hand you play:D

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok again i have lost the hh but i sloowplayed to the hilt and got paid by aj taking me to 6k chips i posted this one because there are many plays tht could be made when this flop comes and i have found out tht there are a lot of scared players at cc maybe some of u should not so much worry about getting outd=rawn and look at winnings maximisation why would you want to get to 3 k when u can get to 6k mtts are all about getting the maximum possible chips from each hand you play:D

Kinda what I said.