Can you be a winner online without a hud

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can make the money a lot of times in big online fields but usually only end up min cashing and occasionally going deep. I don’t use a hud so my question is can you be profitable at mtt’s without one?
If not are there quality programs that aren’t super expensive?

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
you already answered your question.
If you're winning player without HUD, then you are.

HUD will/can make you somewhat better player, or give you some inside info on some of the opponent.

I am using DriveHud, not expensive, and here on the Forum is John_A really good to answer any/all question people shoot at.
Here is the link:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-software-tools-61/drivehud-poker-hud-database-software-298263/

Some use Pokertracker, or HoldemManager.

You can get all 3 of them with try out and test for yourself.

GL

J

jamessmithx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are the any decent quality, free HUDs out there?

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I can make the money a lot of times in big online fields but usually only end up min cashing and occasionally going deep. I don’t use a hud so my question is can you be profitable at mtt’s without one?

Its an interesting question!

Of course some sites do not allow HUDS and I seem to remember Dara O'Kearney relating how he or some people felt that over relying on HUDS could lead you to misreading situations, that an intuitive feel needed in specific hands would be absent.

I do not use a HUD and was happy with results but then remained curious and of course think there could be something to be gained. So I tried to download various HUD Apps ( free and free trial) and none would work on my computer, I tried multiple times and just gave up.

I will give it another go for sure but I tend to think it might be like using player notes. On the level I play (bottom feeder) I attempted to make comprehensive notes for a period and then thought it redundant. Other than now branding a player as overly aggressive (or something sometimes less polite) there is no point in making notes on ranges or bet sizes at the level I play.

Of course I am sure player notes and a HUD are invaluable for higher ranked players. I just am not sure they would propel my game much at this level.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I tried using a HUD for most of a month. I found it distracting and deleted it last month. Now I go on memory and a few notes on insane maniacs.

So I don't use a HUD, but I am first in CC's leaderboard money this month. This is against a strong field, many of whom are using HUDs.

At certain points in a tournament, players should do a shift in strategy. Someone that limps early may use 3bets more near the bubble or ITM. Some play tighter early and loosen up later. Sometimes it depends on their chip stack. A player's open range could drastically change during a single tournament. HUDs don't work well when these shifts occur and can actually give Heroes bad information.

I think a HUD would be good for single table and cash games, especially when choosing where you want to play or when facing the same players often. In mtts, I believe they are less effective because of the players' variance on multiple factors.

K

Kush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been doing good in MTTs without using a hud. I'm sure it might give you an edge, probably more in SNGs than MTTs. Like thehangdude said about shifts in strategy during MTTs, it may hinder you. You also need a lot of hands on a player before you can take their stats to heart. Which is sometimes hard to get in MTTs. I just take really good notes on players and try to really play attention to the table. You can estimate players VPIP and PFR percentages pretty quickly with a little practice. Not necessarily the numbers, but generally how loose/ tight or aggressive. I've been shark scoping the players at my table and that helps identify the winning regs from the fish immediately and I adjust my strategy accordingly.

T

TongueLashin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mixed feelings about HUD

I tried a HUD for almost an hour one day. The clutter of stats and things was dizzying. I found this made it tough to see chip stacks sometimes and was highly distracting to me. I did benefit from that hour and was able to see what types of things a player can see about me. At this point I had a LOT of logged hands in database already. I was able to determine some key spots I am being exploited and do something different there. I found it to be a relief to have some idea what opponents using HUD's playbook says to do with me. I was able to capitalize on that knowledge in some huge pots at key moments. I am glad glad glad they are using the HUD and I am not.
Note: I only do micros in volume, but I am pretty consistent over the years.

F

Felipe Navatta

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Are the any decent quality, free HUDs out there?

I started using one called Hand2Note. They say it's only free for 30 days trial, but after this period continue to work well for micro stakes (less than 8 dolars buy in i think)

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are bad player, no hud will help you to be a winning player. I don’t use huds and I’m doing pretty fine in tournaments. I think that it’s better to invest in learning and improving game, rather than some technical helpers who can mislead you and make wrong decisions.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't play with HUD, I think that play with HUD is like fight with weapon, It's a advantage for who knows how to use, for who that don't know it will be useless.

A good player will be winner with or without HUD, but for the recreative players to play against who are using HUD is very dificulty.

Who are profitable only with HUD, and that don't know how to play without it are no good players, seems more like HUD interpreter.

There are some eaoecifics strategies for who use HUD, but you need to take care about some proibited third part programs, that can make you be banned of a poker room, they are always update the list of proibited programs.

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't use HUD and I don't think they should be allowed. However, it is a great tool, especially for those who play multiple tables, and that learning to use it can improve your results in the long run.
But it is certainly not a requirement for you to be profitable playing poker.

J

jamessmithx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started using one called Hand2Note. They say it's only free for 30 days trial, but after this period continue to work well for micro stakes (less than 8 dolars buy in i think)

Ill look into it, thanks

A

ankoum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not a winner but sometimes I do not lose even without hud. I use Android and I don't know any compatible hud.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If you claim that you could make good money, but you get only crumbs, then in the area of ​​the bubble you had a good stack that gradually disappeared. You collected it without any programs. Hence the conclusion: the cause of the failures lies in a completely different plane. Most likely you continue to play as you did at the beginning of the tournament, a little theory and you will understand that at different stages of the tournament the game also takes on a different character. the blinds aren’t noticeable in the tournament, the closer to the end of the tournament, the theft of the blinds is crucial, otherwise your stack will part even if you dare to avoid fighting. they can only be used in online poker, and live it all depends on the head, which means you need to rely only on yourself.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't use that stuff and make money.

P

padman400

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My thoghts on this are. Hud good for cash games. Torneys no good as people play very differently with a full stack to a short stack so how can a hud help.

I do use one on cash games when allowed but never bother in tournaments. Play mostly on PP and they are not allowed anyway.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My thoghts on this are. Hud good for cash games. Torneys no good as people play very differently with a full stack to a short stack so how can a hud help.

I do use one on cash games when allowed but never bother in tournaments. Play mostly on PP and they are not allowed anyway.

Agree with this. HUD for cash games, not so much for tourneys. I pretty much stick to basic stats for my HUD anyways such as VPIP/PFR. So many manics at 6 max games with VPIPs 60-90% that it makes calling them or shoving on them so much easier to determine.

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to watch a number of professional poker players on Twitch.io and I see a large percentage of them using a HUD. But I have noticed it's not for every decision. Generally the HUD is consulted when they are in a tight position and need more information than at hand, to really push their decision one way or another.

I think the real place of a HUD is for those that multitable. Once you have 4 or more tables going, it's unreasonable to think that you can pick up on the play styles of others at the table while splitting your attention to each table. Sometimes you just need that little extra to help you with a hand.

I don't use a HUD. I tried a few, but after a number of months of experimenting with HUDs, I found that 90% of the time I only really used to for a quick count of number of blinds an opponent or myself had. All Other information I had gleaned from just paying attention to the table.

That said, I do consider myself a winning player. Since my poker rebirth just over a year ago, I have a 110% ROI, A 17% ITM rate, and a 6.5% final table rate. These numbers are all in line with those of professional poker players tournament results.

And for those curious, I track all that data by hand with a spreadsheet.

So does one require a HUD to be a winning player? No. But it can help in certain situations like massive multi-tabling.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The old maxim: Be well prepared ends up being better than looking at the player's historical profile.

T

TongueLashin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Old related news

One of the best online pros I ever knew of, Annette Oberstad once won a small MTT or large SnG with only looking at hole cards once. Youtube it. She was only mediocre live-even with her WSOPE 1st at age 18- but her game was online MTT. She was beast on the leader boards at UB + Stars. Spend some time with post it notes over your hole cards. You won't need a HUD. You will BE a HUD. :)

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't use HUD and I don't think they should be allowed. However, it is a great tool, especially for those who play multiple tables, and that learning to use it can improve your results in the long run.
But it is certainly not a requirement for you to be profitable playing poker.

+1 I don't use it either, but I'd imagine that you would just be limiting yourself at a certain level. I mean, if everyone else can utilize its benefits, then you are just handicapping yourself by not having one. I don't play online much, so I don't use HUD. The only stats I would probably keep tabs on is the percentage of flops I am seeing lol. Simple I know, perhaps that is why I don't use HUD stats.

It is obviously helpful if someone can use it to make better informed decisions though. As for me, online I just use for practice and freerolls - if I don't get HUD stats in live poker, then I'm not going to practice with them because you play how you practice.

L

lolshovaments

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure you can.

Caio Pessagno didn't use HUD for a long time and he was the best online grinder in the world for months! Do you think guys like Viktor Blom use HUD? He won three tournaments in SHRB... hard field and he beat the guys.

HUD helps you if you are grinding same thing over and over, like ring games and SNG, where you have a great chance to face the same opponents here and there. And they don't change the style that much in SNGs, so HUD can help you in this situation.

But how you can use all data you have about some players if the style of play changes during a MTT, for example. Too much adaptation, overestimated tool for large fields.

E

eluwinka0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you easily can, because many sites are blocking all huds in their software which is very good for recreationals but also for real talented pros

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For sure its possible to be a long term winner without using a HUD, and some sites dont even allow them which makes the choise easy. But that being said on sites, that do allow HUDs, I certainly think, its an advantage to use them also for MTTs.

Like any other tool you just need to learn how to use it to avoid overadjusting based on questionable data. Its true, that tournament play change with stack sizes, ICM-pressure and number of players on the table, and this does blur HUD-data somewhat.

But even so if someone has only 3-bet one out of 78 opportunities, and now you face a 3-bet from this person, do you really think, he is messing around? Chances are, he has the goods, and it would be silly to not adjust the range of hands, you give action with.

A big misconception among many non HUD-users is, that HUD-users rely on the HUD for every single decision, they make at the poker table. But this is far from the case. The vast majority of decisions are based on stack sizes, hand strenght and board texture, and the HUD is only consulted for decisions, which are close and can go both ways.

But even so if using a HUD can help you find just 1-2 good spots more per tournament or get away from someones aces or kings as in the example with the tight 3-better, this already gives a significant boost to your winrate.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Most use a HUD , most of regs ,pros and novice players . They are essential for online poker , I might not like this , but this is the truth :)
You can win without a HUD , if you are good with odds and the gameplay , but a HUD helps very much , especially the more you know how to take full advantage of it :)

Winner Poker