Please recommend simulation software

Max 77

Max 77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi;
could someone please recommend a simulation software/App. I am a newbie, and at this point I am just looking to practice basic strategy, and positional play. The Apps seem to be mostly for entertainment purposes.

I have been considering “Poker Genious” however reveiews have been mixed.

I would appreciate any and all responses
Thanks
Max 77

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi;
could someone please recommend a simulation software/app. I am a newbie, and at this point I am just looking to practice basic strategy, and positional play. The apps seem to be mostly for entertainment purposes.

Thanks
Max 77

My Friend Nothing is better for training than dipping your toes right in with the most common sites available... They all have Play money/chips and getting stuck in will introduce you to the Poker World better than any simulation...

888Poker Best for freerolls

PokerStars Best for CardsChat Freerolls my opinion

PartyPoker Best for Play Chips

Enjoy and see you at the tables

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I believe the best option is to begin practice playing real money games , either freerolls or few micro sngs (generally on whatever you are better ) , after you have learned the basics of poker theory , and analyse the hands which you (and the other players) have played at hand replayer .
I don't believe in simulators , also not anymore in play money games (cause there everyone shoves/plays ATC , he has nothing to lose ) .

LanaRhoades

LanaRhoades

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to use the cardschat odds calculator.It is a usefull toll to start playing poker.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi;
could someone please recommend a simulation software/app. I am a newbie, and at this point I am just looking to practice basic strategy, and positional play. The apps seem to be mostly for entertainment purposes.

Thanks
Max 77

I have tried many poker simulation software and will be able to give you some great recommendations.

First, avoid any play money apps such as pokerstars.net, wsop, WPT or Zynga Apps. This is not how real poker is played, you will do nothing but pick up extremely bad habits. If you have been playing these apps, forget everything you think you learned from these apps going forward.

My first recommendation for a new player would be Advanced Poker Training.

Here you will play against AI opponents who are programed to play similar to various player types and ability levels. It does a pretty good job of simulating real-money poker games. It gives you a help button that gives you real-time advise on what it thinks the correct move is. It teaches a very basic Tight-Aggressive Strategy. It is far from a perfect strategy but it is a very good starting point to build from. I highly recommend it to anyone who is a beginner level player. You will recieve weekly reports on where you need the most improvement and gives great constructive feedback on your play. It has many modes of play such a SnG,MTTs, and cash games. It is affiliated with many top pros such as jonathan little.

My second recommendation is Poker Snowie. This is a much more advanced software program then Advanced Poker Training. You play against a very advanced AI that plays a game theory optimal strategy. This will not be the best way to simulate low-stake cash games. The strategy it teaches is very advanced and unless you know why it wants you to raise,call or fold, or have a basic understanding of GTO then you will get limited value from this software. It is great for a more advanced player to fine-tune his/her game against very tough opponents. Keep in mind Pokersnowie is cash game oriented, so it has limited use for MTT or SnG's.

I have never heard of poker genius before, I would be very cautious about this site.

Last edited:
albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
¿simulador?, why?
just play with fictional money in the room that you like.
applies what you learn by playing against other people is the best you can do for my taste

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
¿simulador?, why?
just play with fictional money in the room that you like.
applies what you learn by playing against other people is the best you can do for my taste

Fictional money play is a terrible place to learn the basics of play. With no guidance and no fold equity, you will just pick up bad habits and these games just do not play anywhere close to a real money game.

The simulators I have used are quite valuable as a learning tool. They give you instant feedback and advice on spots you are unsure about. Through repitition this will give you good habits, unlike playing fictional games where people play with any two cards and dont fold EVER.

Max 77

Max 77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank You

Thank You all for taking the time to post your advise, and comments.
MatMackenz, The “Advanced Poker Training “ looks pretty good, thanks again.

Good luck at the tables
Max 77

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fictional money play is a terrible place to learn the basics of play. With no guidance and no fold equity, you will just pick up bad habits and these games just do not play anywhere close to a real money game.

The simulators I have used are quite valuable as a learning tool. They give you instant feedback and advice on spots you are unsure about. Through repitition this will give you good habits, unlike playing fictional games where people play with any two cards and dont fold EVER.

sorry but I do not agree with you. if you are learning and following a line of play you can not take bad habits. no fold equity? why? y es exactamente lo mismo que el dinero real es el mismo servidor, I played a lot of time in fictional money and found people practicing and taking the game seriously. I also lost and won against people who play very bad or very well exactly like the game for real money.
a guided game can give you a wrong notion or make you believe that it will always be that way when in reality it will always depend on many factors, including your rivals.
I never used a simulator so I can give my opinion about it, surley it has its positive side

P

PickyBronco1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Odds calculator is a good option :)

R

rollotheclown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
holdem genius IS good

I happen to like poker genius. As far as play money being better the players there are the ones in my opinion most likely to random jam, throw money around not even bother in some
cases to attempt to range opponents even a litttle bit.
the bots on holdem genius on the other hand are programmed to play every hand seriously.
Of course like every other poker simulator even genius tends to be a tad bit on the gto side
just learn to integrate your own bluff-explotive type stragedy. First take all the hand hints
verbatim gradually learning to incorporate stragedy. My opinion