Why I'm Thinking Of Quitting: An Essay

C

coljung

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah i guess everybody get good and bad days, the idea is to be able to recognize the bad ones soon enough so that you can stop before losing a lot of money.

My account is at zero now and i'm waiting a few more days before going back. As you, i began and the first week had 3x my deposit amount. Another week and its at 0.

That's poker.

AZE

AZE

DC Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a little depressing to hear that I just got lucky for a month or so and getting KK after KK busted is to be expected at times.

Not only is it to be expected, but KK is supposed to lose to just about any hand (even lower pocket pairs and hands like 2-3o) between 10-20% of the time, and it's supposed to lose to AKs about 40% of the time... The great thing about it is that about 60% of the time they are supposed to hold up, so if you keep playing them right, in the long run, you'll be a big winner.

I know it's frustrating, I'm on the same road you are - and I haven't even been on it as long - but you really have to try and keep a level head if you want things to pan out, so far the luck hasn't been with me for the past few weeks I've been giving a go at it...
I've had the best hand cracked a few dozen times when all the money goes in.

I've had boats lose to bigger boats that catch-up, I've had nut flushes loose runner-runner to quads (pocket 2's pushed all in when I hit the A-high flush on the flop).. I've also seemed to only manage the golden cards when it is least profitable... I flopped a straight flush and had NO action, I flopped back-to-back full boats in the SB and BB, and got a dollar for each... I flopped a 7-7-8 board when I held 7-7 and I couldn't get any action, and I didn't even bet hard at any of those hands, the opponents just didn't have ANYTHING in their hands and didn't try to bluff at it.

But I'm a little more used to the bad-rolls in a skill game than I would think most new poker players are. I spent the last few years of my life playing pool as a means of income, and if you think luck doesn't factor in when you're playing short races of 9-ball, you don't know anything about the game.