VPN and maybe some trust issues sprinkled in

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learned something about myself this week. My account was suspended and I have been asked to verify my identity on the online site that I have been accustomed to playing over the past few years. Full disclosure, my issue was that I signed up for a VPN subscription about a year ago, which is a no no in the world of online poker. I get it. Still, I have the service running on my router at home,and while I could have made an exception for the poker site, I figured I would take my chances and wait until it became an issue, if it ever did. That day has come. This is a perfectly legitimate concern, of course, on the part of the online site given the potential for cheating, and other legitimate concerns, as well. While I applaud and respect their efforts to combat cheating, I respectfully had to decline the request for verification of identity. I just can't bring myself to submitting the required documentation. I'm a leisurely poker player and my modest earnings which remain on the site (a little over $200) has resulted from free roll efforts--no deposits, or withdrawals have been made to date.

In the final analysis, I have learned that I am just not willing to place my identity at risk by sending this information overseas to a company that I frankly don't know well enough to trust with it--irrational as this may be. I think it's fair to say that this is a 'me' problem. I chose to install the VPN in my home and opted not to make an exception for the poker site. Still, I am not willing to potentially place my family's financial security at risk.

So, my brothers and sisters, I have made my bed and will now be sleeping in it. I will be taking a bit of a hiatus from the world of online poker but that won't stop me from commenting here and there on this forum.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cool! I want to sleep too!

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
well, it happend what you expected, and you already know what you need to do.

They have really good reason to do like that, to combat cheating, scamming, bots, coliding, etc....

If you don't want to provide your info to them, that's your decission.
If that poker site is not trustworty, well, then don't do it.

:)

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live is better anyways. The end.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have a lifetime VPN subscription but I am so paranoid about it causing problems with poker accounts, that I only use the VPN as a browser extension and not on my default browser.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I have been verified several times on different sites. At the request of the security service, I provided all the necessary documents to confirm my identity. I passed all the verifications without much difficulty. I do not believe that providing such documents is a potential threat to me.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I appreciate the feedback. I have removed the software from my computer. Live poker only for me for a while. Maybe someday I'll have a change of heart, but for now, no can do.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Good luck with whatever you decide to play.

It is good to see the sites are capable of tracking that stuff.

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Large companies are required by law to maintain confidentiality regarding personal data but this is the risk of using the VPN. In case of any abuse you are not covered or protected by law. :pcguru:

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let’s say you build that 200$ to a 1000$ and wanted to withdraw. Will you still refuse to submit documentation for withdrawal purposes? Seems like you expect to lose that 200$ so therefore you feel it’s pointless submitting anything even if it’ll make your life easier

F

FelixTheLord

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why did you played if you already knew you'd never verify your identity on that poker platform?
My cousin used a VPN to play in belgium with me on pokerstars do you think he could get in trouble for using it only for a few days?

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm glad that you have the right attitude about this. Many others would have started a thread raging that the site scammed them.

You would never have been able to make a withdrawal without providing your identity to the site. They have to combat fraud, collusion, money laundering etc. For the same reason masking IP with a VPN is prohibited.

The lesson: Always be careful to abide by the Terms of Service. If your end goal is to pull money off the site, you need to be mindful of these.

Wish you the best.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many fair points and observations made above.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Hello.
I have been verified several times on different sites. At the request of the security service, I provided all the necessary documents to confirm my identity. I passed all the verifications without much difficulty. I do not believe that providing such documents is a potential threat to me.
That's because there is no risk of a threat.

:top:

Let’s say you build that 200$ to a 1000$ and wanted to withdraw. Will you still refuse to submit documentation for withdrawal purposes? Seems like you expect to lose that 200$ so therefore you feel it’s pointless submitting anything even if it’ll make your life easier
They have already suspended his account while waiting for verification, he won't be playing to be able to build it up unless he supplies the USUAL documentation that all online players do to be able to make a withdrawal.

:bandit:

O

olonare1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well glad to know that VPN's are banned as well. about 2 months ago, a friend of mine wanted to get into online poker. so i had him create an account and make his first deposite. he then came over to my house and we both logged in, he logged in with his computer and myself my computer. within moments of getting into a tournament his program stopped working and was notified that his account had been suspended and his deposit null in void.

we both believe it was due to both of us being connected in the same house, at the same time, playing the same freeroll tournament. but it was merely just to show him how to play and teach a bit while i was playing too.