Ultimate Bet's Variance

cgeringer

cgeringer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing on Ultimate Bet a little over a month now. I'm enjoying the site a lot, although the variance is difficult to deal with sometimes. I normally play limit $.50/$1 with the occasional SnG tournaments. My first week and a half I won over $150, but since then, it seems like UB is paying off the donks. I've been noticing that other players will call with the lowest possible pair on the board, but hit their winner on the river.

Thanks to a nice run I've had this weekend (I've won the last 3 tournaments I've entered -- $5 SnG, $10 SnG, and a $5 18 person SnG) I'm up about $200 since I've started.

Has anyone else noticed the variance on UB? I suppose every other site has this. I've played on other sites such as PP, Doyle's Room and Full Tilt, but UB seems like you either hit all of your cards or you don't get any cards.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is that when UB sped up their software a few months ago, it now seems like the swings are bigger. In actuallity, there are just more hands being dealt per hour. So it just seems like bigger swings. A typical site deals around 60 hands per hour. I think UB is around 70-80.

Otherwise, I wouldn't say UB is any different than any other site.

medeiros13

medeiros13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing at UB more frequently lately and I've got to agree with the OP. I'm sure it's just because I'm running cold but bad calls have certainly been getting rewarded vs. myself

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is not rigged stop this conspiracy bs please

Beriac

Beriac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, I have noticed that there seem to be more river suckouts at UB on the first Monday following a month with an even number of days, while at Party there tends to be greater variance between 6pm and 8pm on days when the Dow Jones is up but the S&P 500 is even or down.

So, I feel where you're coming from...

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Actually, I have noticed that there seem to be more river suckouts at UB on the first Monday following a month with an even number of days, while at Party there tends to be greater variance between 6pm and 8pm on days when the Dow Jones is up but the S&P 500 is even or down.

So, I feel where you're coming from...

My god Beriac I have been noticing the same thing lately-- :eek: --uh excuse me I need to go shoot myself. Talk to you later.:D

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hey guys. I know we regulars have heard 5,738 "Such and such site is rigged!!??", but to a new member, they have no idea of the previous posts on the subject. And while I know you guys are just joking around, with no malice of intent, the new member might not see it that way. We wouldn't want a new member's first impression of CardsChat be that they'll get flamed when they try to ask an honest question, and thus scare away what could have been a potentially good contributing member. :)

Last edited:
F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Variance? I thought that was a money term similar to rake, etc......
Now you guys are talking about bad beats and such......
Now,.... I'm just a simple caveman lawyer but your strange words confuse and upset me.
What is variance and is it tied to +/- EV? (which I know is expected value).

Props to JQ for keeping us regulars in line......

Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Variance?
What is variance and is it tied to +/- EV? (which I know is expected value).

Generally it is how steady or reliable your return is in a particular type of game.

If you have high peaks and low troughs then your variance is high....
If you dont fluctuate much from an average return then your variance is low.

If you have a low variance over a large dataset (ie lots of hands or lots of tourneys) then you can rely alot more on this rate of profit (or loss) and thus you can predict better and need a not quite so deep bankroll.

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Welly, my variance goes from $25 (min deposit) to $100 (the most I ever seem to have in my BR) at the most. I can't get and maintain anything higher than that $100 threshold.

cgeringer

cgeringer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys. I know we regulars have heard 5,738 "Such and such site is rigged!!??", but to a new member, they have no idea of the previous posts on the subject. And while I know you guys are just joking around, with no malice of intent, the new member might not see it that way. We wouldn't want a new member's first impression of CardsChat be that they'll get flamed when they try to ask an honest question, and thus scare away what could have been a potentially good contributing member. :)

It's going to take a bit more 'sarcasm' for me to quit this great site. When I originally posted my message, I wasn't talking nor even thinking about a site being rigged, I was only referring to the variance (or the up's and down's of poker).

Thanks all who gave their opinions and/or critisms of my very first post! I look forward to many more. I enjoy reading others and what they are talking about on their sites.

zinzan1000

zinzan1000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Glad to hear it cgeringer, I am pleased you are sticking around.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's going to take a bit more 'sarcasm' for me to quit this great site. When I originally posted my message, I wasn't talking nor even thinking about a site being rigged, I was only referring to the variance (or the up's and down's of poker).

Thanks all who gave their opinions and/or critisms of my very first post! I look forward to many more. I enjoy reading others and what they are talking about on their sites.

You are a great sport!

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This is what we like to hear! Welcome to Cardschat!