Training myself to actually use HUD ...

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Twice in the last mulitable session I made the same mistake, pushing someone who raised my flop bet. Once in a limped pot with TP, once in a pot I raised PF with and overpair. In both cases I looked at the HUD stats but then didn't stop to consider; they were both not loose and not aggressive so I should have considered backing down. In both cases they had sets.

When I single table I rely first on watching the action, supplemented with HH and supported with HUD stats. I have an idea of how each player plays
_before_ any hand comes up and I check the HUD before I make my decision. So my image of each player is built up before the hand happens.

When I multitable I can't rely on that, but, I do have HUD, but I've not trained myself to stop, read HUD, then consider what it means for the situation. Instead I look at the stats, it doesn't confirm anything for me because I don't have a preconceived image for the player, and I ignore it.

Does this make sense? I think I just haven't developed the habit of thinking this way automatically.

So, I'm trying to come up with a method for developing this habit for me. Right now I'm considering:

1) playing as normal, but just trying to remember to check HUD and consider;
2) going down a level and doing more tables and trying to remember;
3) going down a level and cascading the tables instead of side by side so I have to rely on HUD and then trying to remember.

Any thoughts, or other suggestions?

NuRelic

NuRelic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the following thread:

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-rooms-10/what-benefits-multi-tabling-103950/

Munchrs and I have a debate about the same exactly subject. As you add tables to your multi-tabling sessions you'll need to tighten up and using things like HUD become much more critical because you begin loosing touch with the dynamics of the table. It isn't something that comes naturally (at least not for most people) but it is something that will come with practice. Good post and good points all around!

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's just a matter of practice; right now you're used to going through certain steps before making an action, and by adding more tables you're forced to use different steps and you're not used to it yet.

I think stepping down a level is fine. I'd really stress that multitabling will skyrocket your winrate, so practice it as much as possible.

I think I saw you were up to 25nl, so try going back to 10nl and just nutmine. Play nothing but premiums jamming them pf, and small implied odds hands (33, 67s etc) in those limping spots in LP. It'll be extremely easy to play, and you'll get used to playing 4+ or 6+ tables.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jamming, meaning betting aggressively.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK cool, so you're not necessarily advocating going all in before the flop :p

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, all I meant was stick to a very tight aggressive ABC type style, and occasionally get in cheap when you can with those implied odds hands.

Basically play a very simple, easy style so that NL can work on his multitabling as opposed to dealing with tough hands :)

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all.

I have read that other thread. And I've been (small; up to 4) multi tabling for a while at $10NL (the $25NL hands I posted were when I single table $25).

I realize that I'm losing an edge, just because of the way that I've trained myself to develop player images because it starts with watching, then adding HH, then adding HUD. If I want to multitable and use the HUD instead of just basing it on my knowledge of the play at that level in general, I need to train myself to actually read, process, and use the info.

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
another poin that i think is missed is trying to keep you HUD simple, the default works well. Once you become accustomed to analyzing these 3 or 4 stats then start to add extra stats 1 at a time.

Basically having a simpler HUD will make it easier to read and process the stats, the more you use your HUD the better you become at processing the stats and then you can add more stats as you like.