Tons of paired boards lately?

GreenJigster

GreenJigster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a lot on Bovada because of ACR's update. And I kid you not around 3/4 boards have paired in my last several session over the last couple weeks. It was happening some on ACR also. But here's what's crazy, I went an played live 1/2 and live 1/3 a few weeks ago and a lot of boards were pairing there too! I don't know what to make of it being as I have viewed hands like Full Houses to be rare. I tell you what I have gotten a ton of experience playing paired boards especially with pocket pairs. Just have to feel out the flop and turn. It's one of those things that makes a player a bit uncomfortable so I'm kind of hoping this phenomenon ends soon, but it has been good practice. If I find the time I am going to tally up how many boards paired and compare it to how many Full Houses showed down. I know it's not super rare like a Royal Flush but I seem to have only seen paired boards once or twice every fifty hands or so and now it's all the time. Or am I just that much of a noob to think that most boards don't end up pairing when the games I was playing at first just didn't have paired boards? I have a little saying in my head now "bottom card pairs the board" and about half of the time the lowest card pairs on the Turn kind of spooky :eek::eek::eek::cool:

Thoughts on this?

mrgupta

mrgupta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say there are two possibles reasons for this and it's probably a bit of both that you experience:
1) variance... Like the cards you are dealt, the board is also determined by variance. Sometimes you can see 5 ace high boards in a row, sometimes you won't see an ace on the board for 3 orbits. It happens, you cannot influence the cards that are dealt, so why even obsess about it.
2) cognitive bias... You see a couple of these paired boards and your mind starts to think, here we go again, when will this stop... Your mind is then fixed on finding these boards so hard, that it neglects a ton of other times the board was not paired. This happens to everyone... Say you run into a player that 3bets you 3 times in a row, raises once and you start thinking, wow this guy is such a maniac, but in reality, the guy just had it those times. You start making huge adjustments without a real reason and you get felted in a situation you really should not have been in the first place. Poker can be cruel that way sometimes.

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, this sounds like variance. When you play enough hundreds of thousands of hands online (tracked) and live (manually tracked) you will be exposed to all sorts of situations.

This is a stepping stone for you. After this, it will be harder to shock you off your game because you will have seen it all.

FlamengoBR

FlamengoBR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The low pairs are winning lately.I won yesterday with :6h4: :6s4: vs :kc4: :kd4: the :6d4: hit the river.

dzemer

dzemer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You've seen it a lot because you focused on that, few times happened and your mind remembered it and every time when its hapening again you dont remember situations betwen but only those which are common. Dont focus on that kind of things. Start to see everything just like it was a first time. Ive had many situations like the same pocket pairs in few rounds at one table, but when i analised all my hands it comes to me that was not hand by hand, only few hands earlier. Do not remember past hands, focus on that, what happens in that very moment.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The board never seems to pair when I have a set and I'm looking to make a full house. It seems that you have witnessed the boards that I'm looking for when I flop a set. I hope all the board pairs were in you favor when you were in the hands that it paired on.

GreenJigster

GreenJigster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The board never seems to pair when I have a set and I'm looking to make a full house. It seems that you have witnessed the boards that I'm looking for when I flop a set. I hope all the board pairs were in you favor when you were in the hands that it paired on.

Haha nah man. Im actually still seeing a lot of them. Making +EV plays with top pair on a paired board with mixed results. Keep getting felted by sets. So I will lose a buy in and be in a similar situation later and win 3 buy ins. Still seeing all kinds of quads and full houses (none for me recently lol) so its like dodging bombs left and right. But when I do end up on the good side of it there will be a gold boom for my bankroll

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd say there are two possibles reasons for this and it's probably a bit of both that you experience:
1) variance... Like the cards you are dealt, the board is also determined by variance. Sometimes you can see 5 ace high boards in a row, sometimes you won't see an ace on the board for 3 orbits. It happens, you cannot influence the cards that are dealt, so why even obsess about it.
2) cognitive bias... You see a couple of these paired boards and your mind starts to think, here we go again, when will this stop... Your mind is then fixed on finding these boards so hard, that it neglects a ton of other times the board was not paired. This happens to everyone... Say you run into a player that 3bets you 3 times in a row, raises once and you start thinking, wow this guy is such a maniac, but in reality, the guy just had it those times. You start making huge adjustments without a real reason and you get felted in a situation you really should not have been in the first place. Poker can be cruel that way sometimes.

This is your answer. :)

A

azoppina609

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello yes I've noticed this as well. And normally multiple pairs per game