Table Talk about your opponent

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in a live tournament on Thursday and got put with a good friend of mine that plays alot of poker with me and knows my game well.

I had 7h8h and saw the flop cheap. I hit a set on the flop of 889. He starts talking out loud about what he would put me on and actually said, "I know you don't have a set otherwise you would have called to reraise." I was having the hardest time not smiling. He calls and looks at me even harder after the turn when I fire out again. He goes on to say that he thinks I have his Ax outkicked and mucks.

I actually thought about it afterwards and by him talking out loud and saying things I was so afraid of giving a tell. I play enough live that I could just sit there stone faced but was laughing out loud on the inside.

Made me think that I must change my pace enough since even a good friend could not put me on the hand I had and maybe a new tatic on trying to get a read on someone in the future by talking out loud.

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Umm I have a sneaky suspicion that this friend is also the one who trys to always **** block when there are women around. These type guys need to become geldings! Anyways first off you hit trips not a set. Trips is 2 on the board one in your hand. A set is 2 in your hand one on the board! Tell your friend to keep his mouth shut what he is doing is EXTREMELY RUDE!

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rude but it also tells others at the table what you have. So if someone did call you all the way.. they'd clearly see that he was correct. Then next time he talks out loud, they would know what you have and weither or not a fold, raise or call can be warrented. He is actually hurting your bets by talking out loud.

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
xdmanx007 said:
Trips is 2 on the board one in your hand. A set is 2 in your hand one on the board!

i did not know that. you learn something new every day.

-n

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
xdmanx007 said:
Anyways first off you hit trips not a set. Trips is 2 on the board one in your hand. A set is 2 in your hand one on the board! Tell your friend to keep his mouth shut what he is doing is EXTREMELY RUDE!
Since it was his friend that said it and not gfpokerfan, I think we can forgive him the slip up. However, even his friend could have been refering to pocket nines. Doubtful.
Now, as for your definition of Trips. As far as I've been able to determine, Trips can be any 3 cards of equal rank whether the pair is in the hole or on the board, while a set specificaly implies a pocket pair.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The set vs. trips thing is a new one on me! Thanks xdman, Four Dogs.

As for the "friend"--sounds like a classic case of "know-it-all" syndrome (as demonstrated by robwhufc). Now, I haven't played in many live games (other than at home, which doesn't really count in my eyes), but I have seen the pros use this tactic on TV. They start talking to see if they can get a tell from their opponent. I can see where this could be a useful strategy, but not when it's against your friend..that's just bad form IMO.

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ummmmm So you are telling me trips is interchangeable with the cards in your hand and on the board but a set can only refer to pockets and 1 on the board?I know we are nit picking but not so aure on that one my dawg! I shall investigate!
Four Dogs said:
Since it was his friend that said it and not gfpokerfan, I think we can forgive him the slip up. However, even his friend could have been refering to pocket nines. Doubtful.
Now, as for your definition of Trips. As far as I've been able to determine, Trips can be any 3 cards of equal rank whether the pair is in the hole or on the board, while a set specificaly implies a pocket pair.

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I shall quote God more commonly known as David Sklansky!

SET: Three of a kind made using a pair in your hand and a matching third card on the board.

TRIPS: Three-of-a-kind made using a pair on board and a matching third card in your hand.