READ READ READ!!!!!!

T

THEDONGERINNY

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Its hard to actually say I follow this guideline but in teaching my girl how to play the game of holdem this is what i tell her........

When your playing a deep tournament u need to be a tightwad in the beginning. Im sure any of us who play will say that. I try and try to tell her, " ONLY PLAY THE TOP TEN hands IF YOU OPEN A BET" .....I consider AA, KK, AK SUITED, QQ , JJ, 10 10, 99, AQ SUITED, KQ SUITED, AND AK UNSUITED THE ONLY THE HANDS U SHOULD OPEN WITH. I know its hard when your in a blind and you have some character in early position double the bet. Its possible you will call with a mid marginal hand. Im sure we all do. But if you think of math think of this.........u are big blind. u have Q 10.....1500 is your start, u call the raise of 30 on top of your 30bb. ur at 1440 AND X X 10 comes on flop and u have best pair. there is still a possibility already u are two kickers behind and u are also in danger of trips pending the other hand. already u get caught in a situation where u see an all in bet maybe on the turn after a K comes on the turn after you call a 120 bet. now your at 1320. so u fold. what happens next hand. u fold and lose a blind. now your at 1305. so lets pretend two scenarios. u dont call the double bet and u fold the small blind next. u could have either 1455 for a chance to double up to 2890 or u can double up to 2610. thats 280 chips u lost by patience. thats also if you think of it......if you play another 27 hands and fold everyone .....what do you lose in blinds for the next three rounds 60 75 90 add that up for your blinds u lossed 225 .....lets now put u in a situation where you could have scenario A where you had 1305- 225 1080 or scenario b....1455-225 1230 double those up for an all in u get........2160 or 2460 patience in the early stages of the game will not only help you double up a few more chips for the upcoming blinds , it will also get u a stack for another all in thats 800 to 2000 chips more than what u would have just off of doubling again and again within the first hour. 1500 extra chips just by folding your first few hands till u get that top ten hand.... fellow players who are new.....be a tightwad, thats all i can tell u......dont let your hard earned chips go to a mid marginal hand u can play an hour later that will help you get that two pair off the flop with just a call..........not calling a raise............

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree with what u say but in some cases it is best to be aggresive and play some more marginal hands.if it is a tight table be a bully.being tight is not a good way to accumulate chips fast if necessary. the players who win tournies on a consistent basis are the players who play a wide range of hands and see many flops so although being tight is not a bad play u need to be aggressive to give urself a shot at winning

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also being tight at beginning has aa disadvantage. if u play to tight u will find urself with only a few big blinds left in your stack because u have to realize that aces,kings,queens etc only come around a few times and if u dont maximize it just comes as if u stole the blinds

T

THEDONGERINNY

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
u are absolutely right man.......its a scenario of certain cases that u dont want to open in with hands having kickers lower than ten and what not.......as well, u have to feel your table out and u can do certain activity like u said that wins u tournies........right on

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why do you alternate between U/Ur and You/Your or you're? Cant you just keep it at you/your/you're.

Anyway, as for your post if you're going to teach your girl how to play...give her a book to read first and make sure she understands the basics of the game. Also, make sure she understands what the dealer button is, the blinds, the hand rankings, all of the streets, the difference between limit, PL, and NL, hand odds, pot odds, implied odds, etc. I think

'Play Poker like The Pros' by Helmuth is great starting book. Also, any book that has a lot of good hand examples to go by. Harrington on Holdem is a good book to pick up as well.

Its obvious you know how to play and you're a thinking player, but say something like that (your post) to a new player and they'll be like "WTF are you talking about?" Trust me. I've tried teaching a lot of people who knew very little about poker, except how to say all in and/or call in Ace or Face/x card. So, for a thinking player and one who understands even the basic concepts of the game it could get frustrating. If you start her off by having her read a book, she'll understand what you are saying and you explain situational hand analysis a lot easier.

Also, teaching her how to play is good, but its also has to be a learning experience for her. After she has the basics down, you should start her off playing in freerolls or play chip tournaments and then discuss her play on key hands, rather than just setting up 'what if' scenarios and possible outcomes. Let her experience them for herself because it'll have a bigger impact in her game.

ETA:
I dont think KQs should be in the top ten hand list. There are too many hands that have it beat PF and if you flop a K or Q, you have to worry about your kicker. I also find it interesting that you rank KQs over AJs.
This is just my opinion, though. I think the top ten hands should be: AA, KK, QQ, AKs, JJ, AKo, 1010, AQs, 99, 88.

P.S. Your post was a bit of an eye sore. LOL. No offense.

Last edited:
Flops'm&Bets'm

Flops'm&Bets'm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The issues/points you make are valid to a point.
The points that pantin007 and Philthy make are also Sound.

The key factors to teaching is to learn by doing, and if you scare her off,
with the agressive approach while trying to teach a passive style
there in lies 'the breach in the boat'.

There are some good reads in the poker articles Tab (yeah, on TOP^^)
Beside the Poker Forums Tab...LOL
Go there print off some of those to read before any Book..
then check the poker terms on Wikipedia Glossary of poker terms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and don't be cheap with the Ink on the printer, and rifle off them pages,
tape them to the Fridge, and by ALL the mirrors in the House..
and Calendars. Or just make a tidy little poker guide for her.
Then have her play the Free Chip Ring tables, then the 9 player Sit&Go's
then the Freeplay MTT's
watch her play and 'BOND'....
let her play her cards without criticism,
give her hints and tips as the action is happening,
explain the possibilities, as they are happening,
why a player 'might' be raising, and what the flop, relative to her
cards is potentially, and the best bet, check, raise or fold is what
'You' would do. In a Freeroll it is of no Loss,
and Sit&Gos allow the place to eliminate players as Ring Game freeplay
has too many donks to really learn,
pick tables that have 3 players seated.
and if the table fills up..move to a small one again.

The dynamics of the game are not cut & Dried A-A, K-K, Q-Q,
A-K, A-Q MPP, LPP, there are other great starting hands
Suited connectors have +EV and hands like 5-7, 6-8, 7-9, 8-10 are also
a very nasty force to be reckoned with..the biggest Pots I win
are using those hands since I call a raise 3xBB with that
and I hit the nut straight on the flop against A-K
and he hits his Ace on the turn hes pushing and I'm Calling All-In.
OR a surprising nut flush with a [Qs][9s] when the flop hits [As][Ks][7s] suited turn hits [Qh]
and check/call it down to the river [3s] with a 4-suited board then a HUGE Bet by a Donk
that has [Js][10h] on a flush/straight draw..Just makes it easier to call the LAG,
and Pop them on the River. A TILT Monster hand!!

~Be patient and Play patient,
Teach patience, By Showing Patience,
Smart Players Prevail...Ignorant Players get beaten
by their own arrogance~

Last edited:
P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Good points.

I have one question that I've been meaning to ask you, though. Why do you post your replies like that? I find it interesting that you just dont let it fill up the whole 'line'. (not sure if there is a proper term for it.)

I feel like Im reading a poem everytime I read your post.

Flops'm&Bets'm

Flops'm&Bets'm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
P.S. Your post was a bit of an eye sore. LOL. No offense.

Maybe She should buy you a Word Perfect Program..LOL
(Joking) but there is a 'preview post' tab under the icons below
the Reply to Thread
~Just to tidy 'er up some~

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cards, cards, cards. Fine for starting out I guess, but why don't you teach her about the power of position combined with aggression first? Starting requirements are pretty easy to get down, after all.

V

vanilla sky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup that's good tournament play.