Purpose of Paying Only a Few Places for Free Roll

O

ozrock

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've seen some free rolls which have 200-300 players or more; yet the tournament only pays three, five, or sometimes ten places. From what I have observed, it leads to a whole lot of stack shoving, instead of skilled play. What in your opinion is the purpose of paying such small number of places?

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
The purpose is to allow for a decent cash in terms of money. If they pay more places the min cash amount will decrease.

I've seen some free rolls which have 200-300 players or more; yet the tournament only pays three, five, or sometimes ten places. From what I have observed, it leads to a whole lot of stack shoving, instead of skilled play. What in your opinion is the purpose of paying such small number of places?

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

The purpose is to allow for a decent cash in terms of money. If they pay more places the min cash amount will decrease.

Exactly, what Joe said.
I read few days later that a person from the forum find more attractive to have more and more places to min-cash, and told the reasons for it, which I have never thought in the past.

As you going wilder and wilder in poker life, you realise that min cash is just a sign that you are hitting the right road to make it deeper. Cause 3rd-1st place what you have to reach.
To answer your question these games more likely give a realistic view to an experienced poker player with these pay-out structure, and the ones where so many people can reach ITM are can be more motivational and optimal for beginners / fun players.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In you dont like the structure of a freeroll or for that matter any tournament, then dont play it. Or maybe consider giving your feedback to the poker site by filling out a survey.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some freerolls pay 300 players for a $100 freeroll...there's no incentive for players cashing for one penny.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
These are usually satellites to a biger buy-in tournament, and so they have a few positions winning.

machinm19

machinm19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if its only a few places paying its still free which s awesome in my opinion, win some, lose some.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Buyin tourneys pay most of the money to the top few finishers.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.There are some of them at 888.Good money for the best 10 players but it is more difficult and takes longer to get in the money.I prefer to play freerolls with more places rewarded.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The smaller the number paid, the more that favors the skilled players, but freerolls are usually not intended for the "skilled" players. Freerolls do serve a valuable purpose in the poker eco system.

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would simply skip those since they are a waste of time and can lead to some frustration. Imagine playing forever and then bubble in 6th place when 5 players are in the money.

There are lots of other options...safe your time and energy for those imo.