Poker Room Differences

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wonder why my performance/results/winning % is vastly different in different poker rooms. I play regularly (Daily) on poker stars, 888 Poker, ACR poker and GG Poker yet the results I get are not ismiliar in all cases. On ACR playing Micro MTTs and SitNGos I do really well, averaging about 80% ITM and about 30% in the top 10, on 888 Poker I do okay but not quite as well about 50% ITM and maybe 10% in the top 10, a little less on GG Poker about 25% ITM and 5% in the top 10, and the real bummer is Poker Stars. for the past 4 months I have been ITM 2% and never near the big payouts. So what is the difference? I try to play my game similarly on all sites, some of the players are the same on all sites, the buy ins are very similar. I can't figure what I am doing so wrong on pokerstars yet so right on the others?:):):)

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very interesting thread !
I was asking myself the same question because my results are much better on Ipoker Network or on 888 than on Pokerstars.
I think one reason is the kind of players you face (higher level on Pokerstars) and another is the type of games they propose (number of players in MTT or SNG and blinds increase speeds are different)
But it's only my opinion ;)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wonder why my performance/results/winning % is vastly different in different poker rooms. I play regularly (Daily) on Poker Stars, 888 Poker, ACR poker and GG Poker yet the results I get are not ismiliar in all cases. On ACR playing Micro MTTs and SitNGos I do really well, averaging about 80% ITM and about 30% in the top 10, on 888 Poker I do okay but not quite as well about 50% ITM and maybe 10% in the top 10, a little less on GG Poker about 25% ITM and 5% in the top 10, and the real bummer is Poker Stars. for the past 4 months I have been ITM 2% and never near the big payouts. So what is the difference? I try to play my game similarly on all sites, some of the players are the same on all sites, the buy ins are very similar. I can't figure what I am doing so wrong on PokerStars yet so right on the others?:):):)

Thank you for posting.

If you are playing the same on all sites than by definition you are doing nothing wrong on Pokerstars... if you are doing nothing wrong on the other sites. You may want to take a deep dive into your stats to be sure.

Variance is far greater than most players realize. Card distribution patterns in tournaments also cause a wide array of results.

Jon Little from pokercoaching.com displayed a sim that he ran for poker tournaments. All the sim players had the same win rate to begin with, which was a solid tournament win rate. After 6000 tournaments some of the sims were still taking heavy losses about 8% of them. Another 7% of them were only break even or slightly losing.

So based on your statement of playing well all the time you must be falling in the 15% that is unable to overcome extreme variance and card distribution. What the sim tells us is skill alone cannot make us winning players under all conditions.

Hope this helps
:):)

Last edited:
CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Variance

Thank you for posting.

If you are playing the same on all sites than by definition you are doing nothing wrong on Pokerstars... if you are doing nothing wrong on the other sites. You may want to take a deep dive into your stats to be sure.

Variance is far greater than most players realize. Card distribution patterns in tournaments also cause a wide array of results.

Jon Little from pokercoaching.com displayed a sim that he ran for poker tournaments. All the sim players had the same win rate to begin with, which was a solid tournament win rate. After 6000 tournaments some of the sims were still taking heavy losses about 8% of them. Another 7% of them were only break even or slightly losing.

So based on your statement of playing well all the time you must be falling in the 15% that is unable to overcome extreme variance and card distribution. What the sim tells us is skill alone cannot make us winning players under all conditions.

Hope this helps
:):)

Thanks for the response, and I guess it boils down to Variance and Luck, I just don't seem to be able to understand why one site (PokerStars) has so much more Variance than the others? And of late I have started playing GG and ACR much more than PokerStars. In fact I only play PokerStars one tourney per day while I play 6 or more on ACR and a couple on GG, and yes my results on GG and ACR are acceptable yet PokerStars I am running 0% positive results. Luck of the draw?:):):)