Which poker room is the "best" to start with?

M

Marcos1315

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!

I'm making my first deposit and I want to know which poker room is the "best" (I know there is no such thing as the best, but a good one) to start with?

I heard someone somewhere saying to avoid pokerstars because, at a given stake, players there are better than players at the same stake at other poker rooms. That's true?

And I'm looking for a poker room that has micro stakes SNGs available (eg not the ones where I have to wait 1 hour to get all the fullfield slots).

(I used Google Translate a bit, so if something doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to explain).

Thanks!

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think 888 is a great starting place as it has lots of freerolls to those who make a 1st time deposit. I have an account at 888, PokerStars, GGPoker and Poker Party and 888 is my favourite as of right now.

M

Marcos1315

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you both!!

I'm going to try 888. I already have an account there and I like it. I didn't know about these 1st deposit freerolls. Thanks!!

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the best poker room for someone who is to starting play, is 888poker.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
agree that 888 is the best site to start playing because they have lots freerolls and also lots of micro buy in tournaments and satellites as well.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
888poker - in my opinion the best room for beginners

O

otmputquant

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
betonline is not bad. has a reputation for low skill players... like me.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I really depends on where you live and what sites you can play. I would pick one that has a lot of people playing most of the time. If you can play on pokr stars that would be the one I would suggest.

roberto51

roberto51

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PS and GGPoker. They have a really good welcome offer for new players.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HI there

It´s ...lets say... safer...to play on the big sites
I would say that they are more not attracted to bug they shuffle sistem

Rgds

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are brand new to poker, and its available, then for me the best place to start without a question is PokerStars. As someone new to the game you should start in the micros, and microstakes games are soft on all sites. So this is not an issue. What is far more important is the quality of the software, game selection and site security, and whatever people say, PokerStars is still the industry leader, when it comes to all those important elements of the playing experience.

One small caveat to consider is the rake structure of the different sites. If you want to start out with cash games, PokerStars is really the only site, that makes sense, since their rake for 2NL and 5NL is lower than any other site. If you want to start with multi table SnGs, then Stars is also a brilliant choise, because you can play those from 25c and up to 5$ with around 9% rake, which is completely fair.

However if you want to start with single table SnGs, then you might want to consider another site, because the rake for those on PokerStars is pretty brutal, until you get to at least the 3,5$ level, and even there its still on the high side. And if you want to start with MTTs, then Stars is definitely not the best choise, since the fields are very large, and the rake 20% higher than on most other sites. On the upside game selection is very good on Stars, so if you just want to mix in a few MTTs now and then, maybe the 20% extra rake is not that big of a deal. And starting out with MTTs as your main game is not something, I would recommend anyway.

A lot of people will probably tell you, that this or that site is best, because of its freerolls. But if you are serious about online poker and want to be a winning player, then freerolls are not the way to accomplish this. What you want is to build a track record beating the lowest stakes regular games and then gradually move up, as your bankroll grow. So for me if I was to start all over again, I would do exactly the same thing, I origially did. Which was to deposit 100$ on PokerStars and then start grinding either the 2NL cash games or the 1$ 18-45 man SnGs. Best of luck with the journey :)

xaj9x

xaj9x

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I think that in order to start playing poker, PokerStars is good, there are games for chips, a large selection of freerolls every day, and all types of poker, you can start your game with or without investing personal funds[emoji3][emoji2][emoji3]

G

GalimullinI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars

I am also a beginner player. I chose Pokerstars to start with. And I chose them only because of the user-friendly interface and security. There are few freerolls, thanks to Cardchats that there is an opportunity to play for beginners/

M

Marcos1315

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are brand new to poker, and its available, then for me the best place to start without a question is PokerStars. As someone new to the game you should start in the micros, and microstakes games are soft on all sites. So this is not an issue. What is far more important is the quality of the software, game selection and site security, and whatever people say, PokerStars is still the industry leader, when it comes to all those important elements of the playing experience.

One small caveat to consider is the rake structure of the different sites. If you want to start out with cash games, PokerStars is really the only site, that makes sense, since their rake for 2NL and 5NL is lower than any other site. If you want to start with multi table SnGs, then Stars is also a brilliant choise, because you can play those from 25c and up to 5$ with around 9% rake, which is completely fair.

However if you want to start with single table SnGs, then you might want to consider another site, because the rake for those on PokerStars is pretty brutal, until you get to at least the 3,5$ level, and even there its still on the high side. And if you want to start with MTTs, then Stars is definitely not the best choise, since the fields are very large, and the rake 20% higher than on most other sites. On the upside game selection is very good on Stars, so if you just want to mix in a few MTTs now and then, maybe the 20% extra rake is not that big of a deal. And starting out with MTTs as your main game is not something, I would recommend anyway.

A lot of people will probably tell you, that this or that site is best, because of its freerolls. But if you are serious about online poker and want to be a winning player, then freerolls are not the way to accomplish this. What you want is to build a track record beating the lowest stakes regular games and then gradually move up, as your bankroll grow. So for me if I was to start all over again, I would do exactly the same thing, I origially did. Which was to deposit 100$ on PokerStars and then start grinding either the 2NL cash games or the 1$ 18-45 man SnGs. Best of luck with the journey :)

Great analysis! Thank you very much!

I wasn't paying much attention to the rake. 888 has a $0.10 SNG for 10 players, but it's 20% rake.
PokerStars rake is better.
Betsafe has a similar SNG to 888, but with a maximum of 9 players. And they also have a better one which is 6-max €0.10 double-or-nothing SNG with 10% rake. I think this is pretty good to start with. 1st-3rd win €0.18. The problem is that they don't have many players.

And I have to take these super micro bets. The Brazilian currency is terrible (US$ 1 = R$ 5.53). So I will deposit something like $10 or $15.

I'll take a deeper look, see which one is best for me. But thank you very much. It becomes much clearer for me to assess this. :)

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most favourable Poker Room….

… I enjoy playing GG, PS and 888 poker sites. I can’t say that I favourite one over the other- they all have some sort of incentive/perks which can add to the overall value.

kidpoker42

kidpoker42

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The best room to start with is

I would say the best room to start with is ACR poker well that what i recommend becouse i play there i like it.:eek::eek::eek::cool:

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stay away from anything related to WPN. That's ACR, BCP and True Poker. The NG loves feeding rake generators who have no business being in hands or the ones that raise with any two cards. All about padding their own pockets there.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And I have to take these super micro bets. The Brazilian currency is terrible (US$ 1 = R$ 5.53). So I will deposit something like $10 or $15.

Then I would go for the 0,25$ 18-45 man SnGs on Stars. Its a bit on the aggressive side, when it comes to bankroll management, but these games are fairly soft, so going on more than a 40-60 BI downswing is not to likely. And should it happen, then just pop another 10$ into the account and continue.

DanS87

DanS87

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I’ve always typically played on PokerStars, but reading this thread it seems that maybe I should be looking at 888 instead.

I don’t see what the harm is in having multiple sites that you play on though. Open up accounts across the main platforms and play the freerolls. In terms of depositing though, it sounds like 888 requires you to deposit for some freeroll access so maybe depositing there first is the best shout.

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would recommend a beginning player to start playing on whichever sites hold a lot of freerolls.