Poker Pros (or crybabies)

IrishDave

IrishDave

A Member
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to vent a little bit about the extreme bad manners I encounter playing online. I play mostly at Noble and I usually just play the SNGs. Last night I got on a .25/.50 NL table for a bit just to kill some time. I was on the small blind with 9-10 suited, nobody had pushed the pot so I called the quarter to see a flop. The flop was 10-J-8 rainbow which gave me a pair of tens and an open ended straight draw. One player bet a buck, everyone folded to me and I called. The turn came an 8 which gave me 2 pair and still a straight draw. The bettor then pushed a $4 bet and I considered folding; however, I had a good drawing hand so why not. The river was a Q which gave me my straight. The bettor again pushed $4 and I just called as I figured we may be splitting the pot. Anyway, I won the other player had a J in the whole for 2 pair jacks & eights. This player immediately started getting very insulting about how stupid I was to make the call on the turn and river. His buddy chimed in with more comments about how ignorant I was and how stupid people always seem to catch on the river. I didn't comment, just stuck to my game and left the table a while later having made about $15. I am 6'-4", weigh 250 pounds and if anyone ever got that abusive with me live I would punch their lights out. I am so sick of these "pros" that have read a poker book that I am seriously considering quitting online play. Does anyone feel as I do?

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OHHHHHHHH, yeah. But you handled it perfectly. These mini-Helmuths think that they should just play poker by the numbers and everything will fall into their laps. When it doesn't, of course it's the idiot opponent's fault for "not playing it right". I play with the chat turned off about half the time for just this reason. But don't quit playing online. You meet the odd jerk, but there's no substitute for the practice and the number of hands you can see. And I can honestly say, based upon my personal observations over a year of internet poker, that the more obnoxious the player...the weaker his game. I just don't run across really strong players who run their mouths.

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rammer is spot on. Dont let the odd idiot ruin your enjoyment of the game. If someone starts mouthing off, just switch the chat off.

You often find as soon as ppl start shouting off, they will soon go out the tourney, or lose their money.

Dont worry about it. I am sure you will have had worse insult in your life, I know I have! See next time, just for a laugh, really wind him up and take even more of his money!

IrishDave

IrishDave

A Member
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think part of the problem for me is that I'm from a different generation (I'll be 50 in 6 weeks), and we just didn't insult folks unless we were willing to take (or give) a whipping. Yes, taking their money is some satisfaction; however, I would love to have the opportunity to meet the "pros" face to face to see if they'd like to continue the nasty dialogue...

K

kozlo6pack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have noticed that there really are some very rude people online. That guy just crabbed because you beat him and took his money. He sure didn't have a good hand(imo), he was mad because you called his high bids, most people fold on high bids.

J

JohnnyGringo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A win is a win and a Looser is a Looser

Generally, when people whine about me beating them, I just sit back and smile. I know it's evil to take joy in another's misery, but when they rant and rave, they deserve no mercy and it makes the win all that much sweeter.

Also, I'll tend to egg them on a little (again, very evil of me). It will affect some people's play and they'll tend to make worse decisions in the future. I.e. overbetting with marginal hands, just to "prove" they're a better player <grin>.

missy71

missy71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't like the cry babies also, but they lose their money in no time when mad at others who play better.

D

Dawfinfan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just don't pay any attention to them, you should never have to apologize for winning a hand. That's why it is called gambling!

Dawfinfan

N

neonails

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
know how u feel dave ignore these ppl as they abviously were not reading the cards very well if they didn't see what u were doing.don't give up and gl.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I think the person failed to realize is #1 What you had and #2 You pushed on the SB with a very weak marginal hand bet with it. Why put in another half of a bet when it can be used later for another half?

It also didn't occur to you that he may have had a straight or even flush to begin with. You only "read" your cards and not that of your opponents at all. The the bet was $1.00 so now since my math may be a tad off , however you have a little over $6.00 in the pot giving you 6:1 pot odds drawing to an open ended straight, Giving you 3:1 odds vs the possible straight out there allready.

Now $4.00 comes in making the pot up to $11.00 and for you to call would now make the pot odds at 2:75:1 vs 3:1 on your outs once again. So your net profit at this point is worth the call.

If your Pot Odds > Hand Odds, then you are making a profit

LOL now to explain all this..

This is the flop
Net cost to play =100 hands * $1.00 call = -100
Pot Value = $5 + $1 bet + $1 call

Odds to win= 3:1 or 32% from the flop
Total Hands Won = 100 * Odds to Win (32%) = 32wins

Net Profit = Net Cost to Play + (Total Times Won * Pot Value)
= -$100 + (32 * $7)
= -$100 + $224
= $124 Profit

Now the turn..
Net cost to play =100 hands * $4.00 call = -400
Pot Value = $7+ $4 bet + $4 call

Odds to win= 9:1 or 35% from the flop (you actually have a chance for the full house here)
Total Hands Won = 100 * Odds to Win (35%) = 35wins

Net Profit = Net Cost to Play + (Total Times Won * Pot Value)
= -$400 + (32 * $15)
= -$400 + $480
= $80 Profit

Now where I got all that from...Which indicates yes you should have called.
http://teamfu.freeshell.org/poker_odds.html

What he also failed to realize is the pot odds he was giving you, He also failed to realize you came from the SB and I personally don't like going against blinds cause you never know what they have.

One also has to remember there are going to be loses, we can't win all the time. Just taking that lose is how we are remembered by.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
IrishDave, I like your old school style....and you know they would squirm away like worms face to face! These statistical spouting fools kill me because they seem to forget that when you are playing poker you are gambling!!! Of course it behooves you to follow certain strategies to maximize your potential, but I see nothing wrong with your play. I think Rammer's advice is spot on (from what I've seen in my short time here, usually is). I personally just laugh at them instead of getting upset...they remind of a two year old throwing a tantrum.

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
twizzybop said:
LOL now to explain all this..
To quote The Sundance Kid, "You just keep thinkin', Butch. That's what you're good at."

H

honeybomb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
crying

i agree you played it right. i like what dawfinfan said about never apologizing for winning a hand.