Poker is luck

X

Xselence

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Xselence said:
Luck is underrated.... lucky players get money this hand... skilled players get money overall. If you lose all your money in a NL tourney cuz you went all in knowing that theres even one card in the deck that can beat you... you already knew that there was one card in the deck that could beat you... so whats the big surprise when it hits. Watch the movie rounders, there's a line matt damon says in it that goes soemthing like this. "Every player can always remember every bad beat they ever caught, but seldom remember the times they won on a bad beat." I'ts absolutley true, I've won a lot of money by bad beats, but only remember the losses. So to end all this i have to say that luck is a factor in poker, especially hold em'. But poker is a game played hand by hand, luck is one hand.. skill is a thousand.

:thefinger :cool: :thefinger
now that is just genius....

K

KK_Cowboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
luck vs skill

My opinion is any player needs both. You really can't have one without the other and expect to do well in the long run. Luck will run out sooner or later, and a skilled player can make the right call only to end up losing anyway. You will need both at some point whether you like it or not. All these "bad" players seem to think they are really something when they beat and Ak suited with say A7 offsuit. Do that situation 100 times and see what you think then. Any good player has to know what they are doing. But they also need to realize they will likely have to get lucky every so often. My advice is don't let the bad beats get you down if you played the hand the best you could. You can't lose with the right play everytime.

P

peter1811

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HI ,

i think that online is more luck then offline. But general is it right that good Players and experienced Players win finally. You see huge differents online.

You play a freeroll and you have all-ins with 2/7 or whatever from the first hand.

You play Real - Money and there the people start to play better , more skill less risk.

I think that math, skill and a little risk and also luck - you need all of this.

When is the good time to take the risk ?

I don't like to call a lot with two aces - never luck with it. Rockets are not automaticly good.

I like something suited like a K-Q or 8 - 10 . You have straight , flush and pair oppurtuniyies.

Keep playing

PS: Sorry for my english mistakes, i am living in canada but i am german and i learn english in the moment.

P

poker6joker9

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol. There is any old say that says luck favors the bold. Or in this case the well prepared. If you know all the underlying mathmatics then you know when and how to play whatever cards you get. Therefore when you are in that big hand and you get that one out card, all the preparing and stuff done beforehand, makes it seem that you were just "lucky."

M

michsi99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it is all luck i mean u have no idea whats going to pop up.u have to get lucky to get ur A or ur pockets to win

R

robnstacey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Speaking of luck I watched my full house get beat out by a Royal flush can you believe a ROYAL flush

H

hallos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
short term poker is luck, but long term you will see that it is skill. So you may get unlucky once in awhile but if you play long enough and do the right things, u will win more than you lose.

H

HOLLA575

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i gotta agree woth hesh, poker is mostly a mind game with the other players, online or not

R

RenegadeRaid

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is always going to play a part in poker wheter its online or real life. Preventing that luck is what counts and not depending on luck is important.

H

hdneto17

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
and then there is always those few select idiots out there who makes your poker experience a living hell. i call those people life ruiners.

- i cry myself to sleep every night

C

chawkguy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The more I play, the easier it is for me to admit that poker is almost entirely luck. Bad luck in my case. Unless you play high dollar limits or buy ins, there are always going to be gamblers cracking ur slow plays and calling ur preflop raises.

A

andysam05

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont understand how poker online can even be compared with real life poker, I personally believe that online poker is mostly luck while u do need to know what u r douing, but in real life poker, u can see peoples tells, the hands are not usually so large, and it is generally much more un to play real life poker

J

JonSherwood

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's definitely mostly skill. Online it's harder to read people, but, like someone else said, you can still pick up on people's betting patterns if you watch. That's what makes a successful online player. Big tourneys it's hard though because you're constantly switching around. Luck only plays a limited role in poker.

C

crazypolak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its 50/50/ cause also u gotta b real good at bluffin and all that.

C

Cooller351

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
actually poker is 50% luck + 50% skill

K

khanh05

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i rather play with skill then people have luck

T

troyt2006

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck definately does play a part of poker in my opinion, but it does take skill calculating the odds and finding the exact odds in order for you to get lucky and hit your card or not.

S

sportsak12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
luck definitley does play a part but i think you still need skill to play poker my luck is always the same and as i gain expericence on online poker i notice that i can read players better, bluff, and im placing better in freerolls even won some money in a freeroll :)

N

newf01

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think luck plays a huge factor in online poker as opposed to playing in a home game.

D

digihhhballz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

online poker:

some luck, mathematics/probabilities well known, position, stack size, raising ppl outta getting their hands/makin ppl think their hand isn't worth the risk, s h i t talking can sometimes work....guess there's many different ways of playing online...watching ppl's amounts they bet per hand...if they show their cards remember how they bet on their hands (which is really hard with big tournaments)...how long ppl take to make a bet (which isn't always correct but can help)....those are some things i've noticed that can help online play...

offline poker:

reading your opponents....reading your opponents....reading your oppponents lol......it's like the game memory when you can see you opponents....searching for tells...otherwise just play your cards well...do the math...don't give away money if you're not positive you have the hand....otherwise there's where the luck comes into play if you're lost on a call against someone....

blah...i think everyone prolly knows this stuff...i'm just blabbering trying to sound cool lol i'm done...

Digi