Playing small pocket pairs

J

JohnnyB3050

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a small table....I would make a large raise pre-flop....and continue to bet after the flop even if I didnt hit trips. But with a large table like 9 or more....I would just limp in and pray for trips.

J

JohnnyB3050

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small pocket pairs can either make u rich or poor.

J

JohnnyB3050

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small pocket pairs are extremely tricky and can get you into some serious trouble. I would just limp in and try and catch trips if it was a big table.

W

woodyt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
small pocket pairs should only be played depending on you position. Do you risk all your chips with pocket 2's that may be the choice if you play them out of position. I like to limp in with them in late position and if you get lucky bammm you own the pot. good luck

woodyt

M

mrbrightside

Freeroll #16 Winner
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
small pairs

small pockets are hard i agree. there are so many jokers who go allin these days u know they have like a A4 or something but if that ace shows up ur toast. its hard to call.

H

Holdempimp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
small pockets

I tend to play small pockets only in favorable position, Ive lost a lot of money limping with small pockets, they basically have no value unless you hit the set.

U

ukauka11

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate small pocket pairs because it can get u in plenty of trouble. I like to try and limp in to see the flop or call a small raise. When you see the flop all you are hoping for is to hit your trips. Unless you have 5s in your hand and there are no over cards on the flop then u have to play aggressive.:motz:

H

hawkeye2005

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think that treating them like draw cards is a good plan--then again every hand is on a draw of some kind right? if it's a high pocket pair, of course raise to get the small cards out and keep them from tripping up on you, but small-pairs I like to raise a little to get higher cards with bad kickers out pre-flop.

F

Flipper33

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PP

Anything less then 88, I usually don't play for more than the blinds. You only have a 20% chance of hitting trips, so unless you feel you pocket pair will win it, I feel better just folding and not losing anything. (this is strategy for cash games, not tourneys)

T

tdq

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I call with any pocket pair to see the flop.

Sammyv1

Sammyv1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i get them a lot limp pre and hope for a set. no set no bet. I lose on them often except for sevens they are my ACES! I love sevens

W

Wojo007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of these sites you win more often playing small pocket pairs than pocket aces.

U

utrocket_315

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
small pairs

i like to just limp in with a small pocket pair, to see if i hit my set. if i do then i'll bet big, if not just check it to see what the others will do.

also depends on how many people u are going against.

Sharkman

Sharkman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just place a bet that will keep the other players somewhat honest. for example, if the blinds are 25/50 cent and you have around 20-25 dollars. throw a $2.00 bet out there. you will take control of the hand and you have told everyone else that you are not kidding, you have something and you are wanting them to call so you can reel them in. if someone gets crazy after the flop and you have nothing but your small pair, its probably safe to get out of the hand now.Remember Pocket Pair can kill someones monster hand, but it can also kill you if you dont take control.

R

robin19

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks! I was having a hard time playing low pocket pairs. I think reading this might help!

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With any pair you have about 12:1 chance of hitting trips on the flop. It's worth a limp unless you think there will be a raise. In late position if everyone has folded to you raise. If the blinds call, check. If they raise, you'r done.

M

MIH202

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A low pocket pair is just like any other pocket pair, except lower obviously. More than likely you have the best hand before the flop, but you can be beat easily. You just have to know how everyone is playing at that point in time. If you are playing a tight player, then you will probobly be able to win the pot just by being aggressive. If you are playing an aggressive player, then be much more careful. The important thing to remember is that it is only a pair, and nothing more before the flop. Play it like a pair and try not to lose too much money.

W

Wlokos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't usually play small pocket pairs strongly. I try to get in cheaply and if I don't get the trips I'm usually folding. I just don't feel safe with them.

P

philly0707

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always raise them the blind or so to get people out of the hand. That way you have an idea of who's playing what after the flop. If there are a bunch of low cards and you still haven't hit, there's still a good chance you have the best hand with a pair.

D

DAVEANOVA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Small Pocket Pairs with a Fulll Table

It basically depends on my position but generally, I'll just limp in and hope for a set on the flop. If there is a lot of pre flop raising, especially early position I'd probably fold. The most I'd call is one raise. I'd prefer them in late position with many players, I want big pot odds and to see who did what. If there were no raises, I might do so. If you flop anything, you might have a good bluffing hand. I'd fold if the flop didn't help at all. I wouldn't chase the turn and the river. Your wasting money most of the time doing that. That said, of course you have to consider who your playing against. Now that I've said that, Most of the time I'm happy I folded and once in a while I'm kicking my self cause I would have flopped a set or a fullhouse, or four of a kind.

S

sheffield16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
small pocket pairs

i limp with 2-5s and then if they dont trip i usually get rid of them!