New York players with a vpn

T

timiscute

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm from New York so for a while now my online poker presence has been nil. I was wondering if I signed up for a VPN service I would be able to play because my IP address would show as me being from somewhere else. Would this not work because my bank account is still New York? Are there any other ways for New York players to play on a legitimate and reliable online poker room or is it always going to be a pain in the ass to play?

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty sure the site can see you are coming thru a vpn, Your isp cannot though.....

Kahntrutahn

Kahntrutahn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm from New York so for a while now my online poker presence has been nil. I was wondering if I signed up for a VPN service I would be able to play because my IP address would show as me being from somewhere else. Would this not work because my bank account is still New York? Are there any other ways for New York players to play on a legitimate and reliable online poker room or is it always going to be a pain in the ass to play?

There are networks that allow NY. What game(s) and stake(s) do you play?

T

timiscute

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i mostly play smaller stake holdem. I'm a fan of sit n gos

B

Blue_Fossil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I assume you're talking about sites like Full Tilt and poker stars that don't allow US players.

I have no idea whether using a VPN connection would allow you access - but what if it did? What happens when you win? What if you win something big? Are you going to set up a bank account and phony address in canada and hope the site doesn't have any way of seeing that you are violating their rules by playing there?

That's the nightmare scenario...you win $10,000 only to have the site realize you're playing illegally and forfeit your winnings.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
VPN's are a very bad idea to use for poker sites, they will lock your account down for using one.

Kahntrutahn

Kahntrutahn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i mostly play smaller stake holdem. I'm a fan of sit n gos

intertops (Revolution) or Americas Cardroom/True/BCP (WPN) will allow you access from New York. Intertops will have more SNG/NLHE action than WPN does.

D

dinaafifi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am using this VPN provider https://www.waselpro.com/en/ for a couple of months.*They have good speed The best thing is that there is no traffic limit. I am online pretty much the whole time.

danprince10

danprince10

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am using this VPN provider https://www.waselpro.com/en/ for a couple of months.*They have good speed The best thing is that there is no traffic limit. I am online pretty much the whole time.

Has it worked for any poker sites? I don't see any way around the real issue which is withdrawls. New york is the hardest state to get the payouts too. Before you withdraw most sites ask you to verify who you are with a drivers license, and ask where to send the check. They will see then you are from new york and you lied while signing up and kick you off the site right?

99procentdonk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
www.hidemyass.com

and yes works very well

but u gotta know the affiliate u sign up through

because when it comes to verify your account , with addy NYC , and IP say Amsterdam Holland or what ever , then wont work..

but there is dif options for it, that work and are safe

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Has it worked for any poker sites? I don't see any way around the real issue which is withdrawls. New york is the hardest state to get the payouts too. Before you withdraw most sites ask you to verify who you are with a drivers license, and ask where to send the check. They will see then you are from new york and you lied while signing up and kick you off the site right?
Only do so if you wish to have your account locked!

www.hidemyass.com

and yes works very well

because when it comes to verify your account , with addy NYC , and IP say Amsterdam Holland or what ever , then wont work..

Don't do this, i think we will see him coming back, saying how his account was locked!

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Meh, I did it to see what it was like to play on a decent site like PS. Just need to make sure you have IP leak prevention and the fact you will never see any winings...

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I am from NY and I use Bovada.

Just got a 2k payout yesterday 0 issues, as always.

Deposits are only Western Union/Money Gram same for picking up cash.

It takes ~5 minutes total for deposit/cashouts. Just have to make the trip to your local grocery store to make them, which can be just annoying.

You can't open a new account if you live in NY, but if I were you, if you have a friend or someone out of state, have them make an account and play on that.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
does poker room allowed to use VPN?
if because your ISP not allowed u to log in poker room by their serivices but poker room allowed u to play at their site.
I think VPN is allowed, just send email to customer support make the confirmation.

but if poker room does not allowed your state to play on their site, think that using VPN is a very bad idea. you will get caught if you happened to be disconnected , which is very common.:p:p:p

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
www.hidemyass.com

and yes works very well

did u know that the services would disconnect by chance
in that case, it is not safe any more, you will get caught, since your original IP address will show up.:p:p:p:p

I ever puchased this VPN before for playing Magic Online when I was in other countries - simply for the bad network services. and I got my account , inquired by Wizards....there are asking if anyone hijacked my account.

think that is a bad idea , simply for the reason to use VPN to hide ur ip address.

J

jacklance

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Masking your location is the easy part. This difficulty you face is identification and payment processing. pokerstars will want proof of residency in Canada, and will expect withdrawals to go to Canadian banks etc.
You risk confiscation of your funds if PokerStars finds out what you're doing. It's breaching their T&C and they take a very hard line on it. My preference is to use bitcoins to play on seals with other clubs by using ibvpn vpn.

C

cursed989

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played on WPN and Merge without issue in NY. Cashed out successfully on WPN as well.

S

scottcharlton

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I now live in Dubai and my Pokerstars and Full Tilt accounts are registered in the UK.

I used VPN (connecting to UK servers) after initially moving. It worked fine for a couple of weeks and then Pokerstars 'locked' my account and emailed me saying that although VPNs are not against terms of service, they believe that I was using one to mask my real location. They refuse to unlock my account unless I connect without a VPN - they did however allow me to transfer my funds to my Full Tilt account

My VPN still works fine for FT. Even when the VPN disconnects, a message comes up saying that I am connecting from an unauthorized location (UAE), however if I close the software, reconnect my VPN and pen the poker room again, it works as per normal.