More than 1 account from single IP address

F

fergy05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are the rules with the poker sites about playing on more than 1 account simultaneously from a single IP address. I want to get my wife playing poker as well, and can see this as looking very suspicious. I can imagine that Full tilt will watch out for this as it could easily be exploited if someone was to have multiple accounts, however, if they really wanted to go to the trouble of doing that they could very easily mask their IP address or log on with different IPs (aircard, broadband and dial up on 3 different computers), so it strikes me as something that they will only be limiting the legitimate people by doing so.

I usually play on Full tilt, does anyone know if they have a policy on this? If so, is their a way around it so that my wife and I can play at the same time without raising suspicion?

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My husband and I both have accounts at several poker sites. It has never been an issue at all. We are not permitted to play on the same cash tables or in single table sng's.

JCuervo

JCuervo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We also have sepearte accounts and just play honest, but some sites don't allow us both to sign on at the same time.

F

fergy05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you alright to both play in the same MTT? How do you know you are not permitted to play on the same cash tables or single table SnGs? Do they issue some guidelines to you when the second account is created?

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes we can both play in the same MTT"s - but we don't. The only time we ever play in the same game are in private CC games - and that is not often.

It is in their rules. None of the sites have ever contacted us regarding the 2 accounts - but we have always played within the site rules.

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just send them an e-mail asking about wanting to open an account for your wife. They will usually allow it and also give you instances when you can't both play at the same time.

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just send them an e-mail asking about wanting to open an account for your wife. They will usually allow it and also give you instances when you can't both play at the same time.

YES

If you want to be Safe and Prepared, and avoid any unnecessary hassle. I would strongly suggest you take 1 minute to write an email to whatever site you wish to join where a "matching IP" is involved and tell them the situation in advance.

I can assure you that any issue that arises where they find matching IPs may cause undue distress if you have to explain the situation "after-the-fact" (and according to Murphys Rule at the most inopportune time). Especially since the sites discriminate heavily in bias of not believing stories from people matching IPs no matter how innocent, since many people who try to rip them off come from multiple accounts on the same IP.

M

medloHxT

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Shouldn't be allowed, but I'm sure people get around it

Even if it is your wife on the other account, it's still two people playing on a table that can tell each other what their cards are.

Even if you play honest, do you really want to play on a table where a group of friends can play against you and have possible access to additional information that you do not have?

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My husband I and both have accounts an a couple sites as well. I was very concerned about the rules and emailed stars a couple times, they finally told me that I dont need to worry about accidentally jumping into something my husband may be in and break the rules because it will auto block and not allow. MTTs are okay to do.

P

ptownnelly

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Full Tilt

Not sure of the official policy, although i do know that if u attempt to join a sit n go (single table) it will simply "not allow" you to enter . A message comes up with the error message and an exp. about IP's.....

45 or more it seems to work... I split my connection with the roomates, and would never attempt to collude on a tourney..However I do enjoy the bragging right when I outlast my roomate in a MTT or Knock him out in a 180 man sitngo.

Of course i am speaking about micro limits... 2$ or so.:eek:

luckytvguy

luckytvguy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even if it is your wife on the other account, it's still two people playing on a table that can tell each other what their cards are.

Even if you play honest, do you really want to play on a table where a group of friends can play against you and have possible access to additional information that you do not have?
people can tell each other what their cards are if they do want to.there are many methods,like icq,msn,or simply telephone.I think that situation need not be worried about too much.I was told that pokersites can detect and find that kind of stuff if people do it often.

F

fergy05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
people can tell each other what their cards are if they do want to.there are many methods,like icq,msn,or simply telephone.I think that situation need not be worried about too much.I was told that pokersites can detect and find that kind of stuff if people do it often.

In addition to that, if the intention is to rip them off, then I would like to think someone would be smarter than doing it from the same IP address. Most people nowadays have access to aircards, as well as their home broadband connection (or get a cheap dial up connection for the other computer). Or better yet, I have been in countless apartment buildings where you can pick up dozens of unsecured wireless LANS that you could connect to.

I am trying to stay within the rules and get an idea of what sets up red flags for them. A number of posts that I have read make it sound like they use any excuse they can to withhold money from you when you try to withdraw it, and no matter how careful I am that we don't end up in the same tournament or on the same table, we likely wouldn't realise it until we get into the tournament.

Thanks for the advice, I think the only way to go about it is to send them an email BEFORE I set up the other account, explaining the situation and make sure I file it for future reference if they ever question it when I am withdrawing.

I am happy they do things to guard against people having more than one seat in a tournament or on a table, but the fact of the matter is, if someone wants to do that, they will find away around it.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In addition to that, if the intention is to rip them off, then I would like to think someone would be smarter than doing it from the same IP address. Most people nowadays have access to aircards, as well as their home broadband connection (or get a cheap dial up connection for the other computer). Or better yet, I have been in countless apartment buildings where you can pick up dozens of unsecured wireless LANS that you could connect to.

I am trying to stay within the rules and get an idea of what sets up red flags for them. A number of posts that I have read make it sound like they use any excuse they can to withhold money from you when you try to withdraw it, and no matter how careful I am that we don't end up in the same tournament or on the same table, we likely wouldn't realise it until we get into the tournament.

Thanks for the advice, I think the only way to go about it is to send them an email BEFORE I set up the other account, explaining the situation and make sure I file it for future reference if they ever question it when I am withdrawing.

I am happy they do things to guard against people having more than one seat in a tournament or on a table, but the fact of the matter is, if someone wants to do that, they will find away around it.

You are giving these cheaters far too much credit.

More cheaters are caught via IP address than any other means.

Just because you know about hiding your IP address doesn't mean everyone else does!

serendipity

serendipity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did someone suggest that he write Full Tilt an email?

That's a lark!

GreatestFive

GreatestFive

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My brother wanted to open an account on Full Tilt, so I wrote an email asking if there would be any kind of trouble if they detect a second account from the same IP Address. This was their response:

"...........
In order to allow multiple accounts to be created from the same computer or
household, we will require to conduct an ID verification for the new player.
Please have your brother send in his photo ID from your registered email
account. Once these documents are received and verified, we will take the
appropriate action.

We appreciate your cooperation regarding this matter.

..................."

:cool:

XPOKERCHIC

XPOKERCHIC

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Fulltilt no problem, but pokerstars wanted us to fax or email them a picture ID from us both. That was the only site that did that. X

jj48fan

jj48fan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has anyone tried this on bodog? I assume thier rules are the same.

ludo90

ludo90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As dakota's first reply its the same for me.. never had no issues whit it although whit pokerstars we had some issues but it worked out good in the end since they have a great support help.
But Fulltilt never asked for any information only thing is that i cant go on the same ring game or sng etc.

hope i helped abit

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My girl and I both have accounts on full tilt and pokerstars. I was upfront with them both and before ever even attempting to withdraw or anything like that I faxed them both copies of our information.. Got emails back from both stating gl and they are just fine with family members playing from the same household as long as they are not on the same cash game or sitngos. Like deb said we dont play same tourneys or nething like that so we dont get hit with a collusion accusation. If full tilt is ur site drop them a email before making the account telling them exactly what u are doing. This will help if you or your wife ever go to withdraw. There can be lots of mixups when they think ur just multi- accounting

dropdead1

dropdead1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are the rules with the poker sites about playing on more than 1 account simultaneously from a single IP address. I want to get my wife playing poker as well, and can see this as looking very suspicious. I can imagine that Full tilt will watch out for this as it could easily be exploited if someone was to have multiple accounts, however, if they really wanted to go to the trouble of doing that they could very easily mask their IP address or log on with different IPs (aircard, broadband and dial up on 3 different computers), so it strikes me as something that they will only be limiting the legitimate people by doing so.

I usually play on Full tilt, does anyone know if they have a policy on this? If so, is their a way around it so that my wife and I can play at the same time without raising suspicion?

We only have 1 pc at the moment and my husband and I both have accounts at a few different sites. What I did from the outset was to mail support and explain the situation to them and sent them copies of our IDs for their records (to show that we were in fact 2 different people).

I did that upfront for the simple purpose that when it comes to cash in time that I would not have any comebacks and I have their mails of acceptance saved. I have cashed out on both my husbands name and on my names at a few of the places and have not had any problems so far.

I

ijuno754

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
my brother and i also use multiple sites with the same pc......i haven't had an issue yet either.....but of heard rumors where other people have had the same complaint