LAG style at 10max does it work?

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, after watching joose's video, I decided to try out a LAG style at .05/.10 and I failed miserably. I lost about 3 buy ins in a little over an hour. I could never, ever get anyone out of a flop that had limped before me, didnt matter how big my raise was, I was basically using the 4x + 1 for every limp and it was getting absolutely no one out of pots (Ex. 2nd position limps with J8o and then calls a 8x BB raise). Im thinking that people are just too loose at this level to begin with and it is impossible to do this. If I threw out continuation bets I would get called down with any pair, draw, etc. Hit one big hand only to run into a higher set. Im guessing you have to be at atleast 50max for the LAG style to be affective. Has anyone had success using this style at microlimits?

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I've been doing it on and off all day and I've quadrupled, so I guess it just depends on game selection. Look for high flop percentages and high hand rates, that spells no showdown. And with by loose I mean not necessarily PREMIUM hand, but I included suited connectors and a few 5/10os, but never total crap hands.

edge-t

edge-t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, after watching joose's video, I decided to try out a LAG style at .05/.10 and I failed miserably. I lost about 3 buy ins in a little over an hour. I could never, ever get anyone out of a flop that had limped before me, didnt matter how big my raise was, I was basically using the 4x + 1 for every limp and it was getting absolutely no one out of pots (Ex. 2nd position limps with J8o and then calls a 8x BB raise). Im thinking that people are just too loose at this level to begin with and it is impossible to do this. If I threw out continuation bets I would get called down with any pair, draw, etc. Hit one big hand only to run into a higher set. Im guessing you have to be at atleast 50max for the LAG style to be affective. Has anyone had success using this style at microlimits?

If you're playing at bodog... then no. The crowd at Bodog's there to gamble. Try Fulltilt, where there are lots of loose passive players and weak tight players.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You should never play LAG style at micro limits its just silly, Playing LAG against a table of calling stations and maniacs is just well its just dumb.

Joose plays LAG because like me he has the experience to play that style, if you are just starting out and especially at those stakes you should be playing TAG until you get enough experience to be able to play LAG. LAG is a hard style to play, real hard and only those good at it can show a profit in it, the rest just spew money and we call them maniacs. This is why we answer most HA in a TAG style because a inexperienced player trying to play lag is just going to throw money away. Honestly you should not be trying this style till you show you are a big winner at your current stake playing TAG.

I have not watched the video but I know joose dosent play that way all the time, he is good enough to adapt to the table and switch his style by how his opponents are playing.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Realistically, LAG does not really work on 10max, because many people can't see the real difference between 3x BB raise, 10x BB raise, and 20x BB raise, so it's much tougher to push them around.

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think lag could work at $10, it just depends at the people at your table. I always play tag and either win a bit or lose a bit, i belive lag is probs the best style but im to unexperienced to play it.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should never play LAG style at micro limits its just silly, Playing LAG against a table of calling stations and maniacs is just well its just dumb.

I totally disagree, unless you have an odd definition of LAG. I have over 16k hands at .10 PL/NL (or lower), mostly on FullTilt, with a win rate of 10.07BB/100 (or 20.14 big blinds/100). Would you consider these stats LAG or TAG?:

VP$IP: 26.65% (too low for lag?)
RPF: 15.74%
AF: 2.06 (1.25/5.33!/2.97/2.04)

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally disagree, unless you have an odd definition of LAG. I have over 16k hands at .10 PL/NL (or lower), mostly on FullTilt, with a win rate of 10.07BB/100 (or 20.14 big blinds/100). Would you consider these stats LAG or TAG?:

If you can do it more power to you but for a player that is not used to playing this style it is complete suicide to play LAG at micro limits.

as for the 26% its just about right, between 25-35% I would estimate, for this guy to just watch a video and then decide to play LAG and wonder why it isnt working for him....well its pretty obvious.

I lost a lot of money before I truly understood the style. I watched the cardrunner videos over and over and over before I got it. This is a style you need to research and it is not for everyone. It is the most profitable but playing wrong it is also the most un-profitable.

tosborn

tosborn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I consider your VP$IP SEMI-LAG

This is really close to where I am. From the short amount of hands that we played together in the WSOOF ME, I believe you play a similar style to me also. I think you play TAG for the most part, however, you will play more hands and steal from late position. At least that is how I play most of the time. This means that I get my 16-20% VP$IP from the TAG that I normally with a bonus 6-10% from playing pots that I sense weakness from the table.

My early tournament strategy is very close to that of my normal ring game strategy. Also my VP$IP includes some short handed play which affects the numbers a little.

LAG to me is somewhere between 28% and 35%. Anything over that would be Fishy/Maniac

SEMI-LAG to me is just a TAG that mixes things up a bit.