Increase In Russian Players on ACR

O

ozrock

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone else notice an increase in Russian based players on ACR? This has zero to do with the war, but more as a curiosity as to why. Anyone have an opinion on the increase?

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone else notice an increase in Russian based players on ACR? This has zero to do with the war, but more as a curiosity as to why. Anyone have an opinion on the increase?

Zero to do with the war? Lol my friend it has ALL to do with the war. They are banned from 888 and pokerstars and now they are looking for new options to play. Its also difficult for them to move around money so an unregulated site like ACR that also accepts bitcoin seems like the perfect option.

O

ozrock

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn't realize they were banned from those sites. Your explanation makes sense knowing this information.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Its good that they have somewhere to play , some need this extra income , some have poker as their main inome . Now with war , prices have gone up , they need more money , you cannot ban or punish simple countrymen Russian just because they are Russians , because their political elite and oligarchs decided to start a war (with the silent approval of US ...... The modern Pontius Pilate ....)

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are also terrible players. If I'm in a tourney and a Russian calls before me, I almost always call, regardless of what I have. They will always C-bet the flop, but will almost always fold to a reraise. The best way to be sure is to call their flop bet and then see what they do on the turn. If they check, they've missed and will fold to a turn bet. If they bet again, they may have hit something, but if you've got a strong hand, check-call all the way down to the river. They play poker like their army fights--retreat at the first sign of resistance.

EmptyHouse

EmptyHouse

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
They play poker like their army fights--retreat at the first sign of resistance.
Hahaha, good point! It made me laugh. :D

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is because Russian players have been blocked from accessing Pokerstars and partypoker, where the same thing needs to be played.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, this is likely because, several other sites have recently pulled out of the russian market. So naturally russians, who still want to play, are moving to the sites, that still accept their business, like GG Poker and ACR. On a sidenote, should regulations for online poker come through in the majority of US states, as apparently CC is hoping for, the demand for unregulated sites will likely drop significantly. So maybe at some point in the future ACR will need to change their name to RCR (Russias CardRoom) :D:D:D

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have Brazilian players been banned from Pokerstars, too? Because there are a ton of them on ACR as well. It's not uncommon for me to be the only U.S. player at a table with all the rest being Russian or Brazilian.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No there are just many people from Brazil playing online poker.

They must be the same or similar time zone as the eastern U.S. because there are always Brazilian players online when I play, morning or night. There are tons of Russian players (and Belarussian, Lithuanian, even Ukrainian) in the morning, but not so much at night (East Coast time).

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its good that they have somewhere to play , some need this extra income , some have poker as their main inome . Now with war , prices have gone up , they need more money , you cannot ban or punish simple countrymen Russian just because they are Russians , because their political elite and oligarchs decided to start a war (with the silent approval of US ...... The modern Pontius Pilate ....)
While I can sympathize with the effect the Russian Invasion of Ukraine is having on Russian incomes, I have a LOT more sympathy for the dead, wounded and savaged Ukrainians. The whole point of sanctions is to make life uncomfortable for citizens of the oppressing country, enough so they will get off their comfortable seats and do something.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The whole point of sanctions is to make life uncomfortable for citizens of the oppressing country, enough so they will get off their comfortable seats and do something.

This debate is getting kind of old, but unfortunately there does not seem to be any widespread opposition to either Putin or his war in Russia. The majority of russians are buying the official explanations, that Russia is "defending itself against nazis" and all the other nonsense coming out of Kreml. So the purpose of sanctions now is to limit Russias ability to fight this and other possible future wars, that Kreml might want to start.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
While I can sympathize with the effect the Russian Invasion of Ukraine is having on Russian incomes, I have a LOT more sympathy for the dead, wounded and savaged Ukrainians. The whole point of sanctions is to make life uncomfortable for citizens of the oppressing country, enough so they will get off their comfortable seats and do something.

Do sth ??
Like what ??
Rebel ?? Revolution ??
Only result will be to be killed or be tortured by police .
We should leave simple citizens out of the equation and the ongoing discussion for sanctions .
Target the wealthy billionaires and multi millionaires ?? Yes !!!!
Target poor Russians ?? Noooo !!!!
Targeting poor people because of their leadership and their ethnicity , is this right ?? To me it seems like a NAZI practice .........

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
Yes there are now more Russians in ACR as they have been barred from playing at PokerStars/ 888/ party poker