In live games that aren't hold 'em, when do you look at your cards?

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played my first live HORSE tournament today (really more like a sit and go, as only seven people showed up and there was an eighth orphaned stack getting blinded out), and the major difference I noticed from playing online is that it takes a lot more effort to look at four cards in the Omaha round than it does to look at two in the hold 'em round! Consequently, I ended up looking at them early instead of waiting until the action was on me.

In the razz and stud rounds I started looking early, but ended up watching what all the up cards were as they were dealt before taking a peek at my hole cards.

When do you guys look at your cards in games other than hold 'em? Should the same guideline apply, not to look until it's your turn to act, or is it worse to wait in something like Omaha and hold up the game while you look at all four cards and determine your course of action?

I chopped for first in today's game with one other remaining player, by the way. :)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It doesnt matter the game, I always wait for action to be on me before I peek at my hole cards for 2 reasons:

1-Your cards arent going to change, so why rush?
2-You might miss information your opponents give off if you're busy looking down at your cards.

For games like stud and razz, there is another reason:

3-If you're busy looking down at your 2 hole cards, you might miss the up cards that are being folded. And its very important that you see what up cards have been dealt becase those potentially can be your outs. You might find yourself drawing to far less outs than you think because you didnt notice the other players who folded them.

You can always determine the course of action, when it gets to you. In fact, I think its better that you wait then predetermining your action because the action of those before you is what ultimately makes your decision.

So, just wait and watch the other players. In the seconds it takes you to look down at your cards and factor in what you hold, you can be missing out on so much information. And also, you're giving out viable information to other players who are paying attention.

Oh, to add-dont think you're holding up a game if it takes you a few seconds or a few minutes for you too act. Make your decisions wisely. Unless it takes you an hour or so, then it shouldnt be a problem.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well done for the finish - i can see you'll be moving up the LB pretty quick now then :D.

As for the cards, i would have thought with most games, trying to gauge the other players reactions is just as important as it is in Hold-em.

So for me i would always wait for my turn to look.
If you miss just one piece of information, thats one piece too many for me :)

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, thanks guys! Just wanted to make sure since I'm planning to participate in the deep stacks HORSE tournament at the Venetian tomorrow.

It just came as a bit of a surprise to me after playing mixed games and Omaha only online that live, it took some effort to lift up four cards! And remember them too, sheesh....

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, crap. Deep stacks HORSE was last Tuesday. Tomorrow is limit hold 'em. My dream is gone. :(

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Give it whirl. Just remember patience, patience, patience.

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games