Impatience and spur of the moment plays

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just donked myself out of yet another MTT...I was in the top 5 in chips, playing a very solid game with the help of good cards coming in the right situations (KK vs AK, AK vs AQ, more), and kept telling myself that if I play solid, I'll be fine. And it was working....until this hand :(

This is probably my #1 problem in MTTs; getting impatient, or making spur-of-the-moment plays like this and donking myself out. Prior to this hand, I played every single hand thinking out my options thoroughly, and in all cases my reads and such were good. This time I was wrong; my reasoning was that this guy was very aggressive, and I wanted to put the hammer down on him - too bad he actually had a hand this time.

Don't know why I'm posting this; maybe just as a reminder (mostly to myself) that you need to think every hand through - ESPECIALLY when you're putting all your chips at risk with an all in. yarg I feel like a donk though :p

Attachments

• donkdonkdonkdonkdonk.JPG
    donkdonkdonkdonkdonk.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 45
twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good point at hand, the point always saying. No need to get into a fight with a big stack vs a big stack. A 2-3X raise would have sufficed and you could have went from there. But agree always weigh your options.

F

FlowerofLife

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This happens to me as well especially at final tables. I allow opponents actions and my interpretations of them run the show vs analyzing and thinking about my hand. I find that there is a lot of testosterone at the tables and if the cards were replaced with guns, I would have been dead a long time ago. So my only suggestion especially to myself is to keep cool and don't let the opponents actions reaction and behavior control what I will do next. Of course now that I said that I realize that this is much easier said then done.

JimboJim

JimboJim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A little rule that I go by in MTT's is that if I'm either big-stacked or short-stacked I dont get involved with a hand unless I have a monster. And I also dont call any large bets unless I know I have the winning hand. Now every once in a while I'll deveate from that but thats the rule I try to remember. It keeps me from doing something stupid.
Just think of it this way. If you can fold and still enter the next hand one of the leaders then why chance going into the next hand shortstacked.

N

nicoiko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quite similar thing happened to me yesterday.

Got 10K of chips and have got K2 of diamonds of the BB.
Some people called and i just checked.

2 diamonds at the flop. (something like 10 7 of diamonds and 5 of another one didn't remind exactly).

One player with just a few more chips than me raises all-in. He was very aggressive a few hands before.

All my mind told me not to go but my hand just clicks on "call all-in". :smile:

This vilain was going all-in with AcQh (not even a flush draw !).
Turn and river didn't change anything and I lost all against a "ace high" hand. :(

Sure I didn't call my all chips for a flush draw next time. :rolleyes:

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hehe I donked myself out of an MTT in exactly the same way a couple of weeks ago. 2 and a half hours in, and I was in the big blind. It folds round to the small blind, who had been quite aggressive in previous hands, and he raises it. I had K6 suited and went all-in. It was an emotional decision based on defending a tiny blind. He called with AJ and won.

There's maybe a 50% chance the SB's raise is a steal, but that leaves a 50% chance he has a genuine hand. If he does have a genuine raising hand, there's a good chance that it's better than your King-high. So if he calls, you'll be up against a coinflip or worse for your whole stack.

If you have them covered, it's a slightly different story because you have more fold equity and you're not out if you lose.

I think it's best to think of the blind-on-blind situation as a heads-up hand. If the SB made a big raise in a heads-up match and you're both deep stacked, would you go all-in with KJ (or K6 suited for that matter)? There's an argument that you should be even tighter, because the other 8 players have all folded, which makes SB more likely to hold premium cards.