How To Eliminate The Bots

N

new_player

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Everyone.

I think we should all put our heads together and come up with the best idea for online poker rooms to be able to get rid of these bots.:secruity:

I have two ideas :idea:that might work:

1. I think that they should do a recaptcha upon registering in any games or tournaments.

2. A 5 min break which every player must tune in to the chat to answer a random question from the moderator.

N

new_player

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Everyone.

I think we should all put our heads together and come up with the best idea for online poker rooms to be able to get rid of these bots.:secruity:

1. I think that they should do a recaptcha upon registering in any games or tournaments.

2. A 5 min break which every player must tune in to the chat to answer a random question from the moderator.

I'm sorry I meant a 5 min break during a game and everyone has to reply to the same question with a one word answer.

mistershrimpy

mistershrimpy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Everyone.

for example, you can show the player a random card and invite him to name the suit and its dignity. I think that bots will not be able to perform this task =)

J

Jedimindtryx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agree bots must go but i think its going to be a software fix

N

new_player

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agree bots must go but i think its going to be a software fix

Yes, but I feel it's going to take a while before any software fix. In the mean time I'm sure every player wouldn't mind a 5 min break if it's going to help track down and get rid of these bots as soon as possible. I think it's the quickest and easiest way right now. A 5 min break. A random but simple question will be asked by the moderator in which will require just a one word answer. It could be a multiple choice answer. Questions like a persons favorite color. Or how to spell a number. It won't matter if the answer is spelled correctly it only matters that they were able to type in a reply.

N

new_player

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! I think this problem should be fought by all available means, and such ideas will be good too!

Right? Or if not a moderator then they can announce it. If they can announce games open for registration then they can announce a random question which requires an answer on an upcoming break. If the break comes up and certain players don't reply with an answer then they most likely got their bot. Unless bots can type?

LA PokerKush

LA PokerKush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Everyone.

Great ideas!
On 'Poker life podcast' CEO of ACR, Phil Nagy, said he was trying to implicate captcha into the game earlier, but couldn't get the greenlight for what ever reason.
Interesting to see what the new ACR software will be like, I think towards the end of the month.
Your 'moderator question' idea is brilliant!

I

insaneiam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
those do sound like a couple good options, but how could one guarantee that this would eliminate the bots?

N

new_player

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, LA PokerKush! I just feel like we shouldn't wait for them to come up with something great. Something,, anything must be done already. We all have to help each other figure out how to get rid of these bots. Many of us are being cheated out of our money. We want to feel good about playing online again. If these poker sites really care about their players they should do something ASAP. "If there's a will there's a way"

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for example, you can show the player a random card and invite him to name the suit and its dignity. I think that bots will not be able to perform this task =)

I've never thought of this. I kind of like the idea!

N

new_player

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
those do sound like a couple good options, but how could one guarantee that this would eliminate the bots?

I'm just throwing in ideas. No guarantees. I really don't know how bots work but I'm pretty sure they won't be able to reply to random questions. Maybe in the near future. I must say that AI is getting pretty dang scary. But I just don't think bots are that advance "yet."

N

new_player

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Honestly, I have to let you know that I don't understand what you mean by that. Maybe I'm missing something... idk?! That's why I feel the question should be something simple that everyone can understand. I really appreciate your idea tho. Maybe your idea is better than mine. Everyone joining in and throwing in ideas is awesome! :wavey:

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been playing for quite a few years, and honestly I dont think its quite as bad as say, 2010ish.. Im a bit of a high percentage all in kinda player, so it doesnt seem to bother me so much. The recaptcha idea sounds like a good one?

LA PokerKush

LA PokerKush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, LA PokerKush! I just feel like we shouldn't wait for them to come up with something great. Something,, anything must be done already. We all have to help each other figure out how to get rid of these bots. Many of us are being cheated out of our money. We want to feel good about playing online again. If these poker sites really care about their players they should do something ASAP. "If there's a will there's a way"
Bang Bang!:cool:

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Everyone.

I like the recaptcha idea better, as I assume it would be user specific and any one user could not share the answer with anyone else. This could be executed randomly during a tournament and might be triggered based on some criteria or even lack of criteria (like no chatting activity that is meaningful). The player would then not be able to take "action" in a hand unless he completed the recaptcha correctly. Of course if someone is a cheat, they will figure out how to solve this, even if it means putting human eyes on the game if they become "stalled".

Sorry, but I think the 5 minute break/timer is a terrible idea. What if I invested $1000 in a tournament and have to take a 5 minute break and missed this? What if I lose my internet connection and have to reset my router etc., and possibly reboot my computer?? What if i lose power during at home?? Would I actually be removed from the tournament?? All of these have happened to me during a game, and losing my buy-in is a worse medicine than playing against a bot. No thank you. I have seen many poor implementations of timers to trying to discourage people from sitting out, and they all have more downside than upside.

Just one mans opinion.

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No matter what is implemented someone will find a way around it. So imo there will always be some degree of bots in online games. Limiting them is the best we can do imo.

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Great thread, the more ideas, the better to analyze and figure out how to get rid of the bots. Maybe just before the 5 min breaks they can do the captcha. That should unload a few for sure. Sad that as soon as they get something in place, someone will come up with a way to adjust to the fix. Frustrating.

Waffle3113

Waffle3113

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Bots will be able to do that as they only need to know 52 cards rather than a random question which could be about literally anything.

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fact is that we cannot identify a bot for five hands, because to accurately determine fraud, it is necessary to analyze 500,000 hands of one player. However, during this time they manage to cause serious damage to other users, therefore, further blocking of a suspicious account bears little benefit. For example, in heads-up games for no-limit hold'em, a live person can never compete with a bot, which can lead to the extinction of a whole discipline. Therefore, we should not chase the bots, we should make their existence meaningless, and they will leave themselves.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ACR has not even stopped the multi entry cheaters yet and that would be extremely easy to stop. Sites like FullTilt stopped bots years ago, and while they have got more sophisticated there are a lot of easy steps that could be implemented to stop them.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Recaptcha is part of ACR V2.0

topcatbrazil

topcatbrazil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably they will have to develop something along the lines of the tests that we already have where one has to identify in a picture in which parts you have cars or street signs. This might work for a while, though it will be an eternal task for the poker rooms.