Help - Thinking of getting back to online play

D

DP_Machine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

I'm new to the site here. Found out about it and hoping that it would be a great place to learn or just shoot the breeze about anything. I haven't played online in a while - been playing poker since beginning of 2003. I've played online since about the same time. Started out at PokerRoom just because I can access my game from any computer (there's a few at home here I choose from depending on which one isn't in use). Was there for a while and then drifted over to Ultimate Bet. Then I just got turned off by the whole online thing (most likely because I lost my online BRoll!)

Now I'm thinking about getting back into online play - so I'm not sure where I should start in terms of site and even what stakes to play or how much to have in order to play a certain level. Mind you, I'm a student w/ one year left in undergrad - so the BR is a extremely tiny and I expect the limits to be definitely low.

Whatever advice anyone can give would be a great help.

Thanks!

D

dlweaver

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm a student as well and have started with a $50 bankroll on full tilt. playing in small buy-in tourneys and sit n gos i would suggest gives u the most out of your money. also the .05/.10 tables would be appropriate.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

I'm new to the site here. Found out about it and hoping that it would be a great place to learn or just shoot the breeze about anything. I haven't played online in a while - been playing poker since beginning of 2003. I've played online since about the same time. Started out at PokerRoom just because I can access my game from any computer (there's a few at home here I choose from depending on which one isn't in use). Was there for a while and then drifted over to Ultimate Bet. Then I just got turned off by the whole online thing (most likely because I lost my online BRoll!)

Now I'm thinking about getting back into online play - so I'm not sure where I should start in terms of site and even what stakes to play or how much to have in order to play a certain level. Mind you, I'm a student w/ one year left in undergrad - so the BR is a extremely tiny and I expect the limits to be definitely low.

Whatever advice anyone can give would be a great help.

Thanks!
Look to this and all other articles related to BR managment https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/discipline-managing-your-bankroll-66962/
https://www.cardschat.com/poker-strategy.php

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before you do anything, get real comfortable here, read the Strategies sections, study the hand histories (HH's), share a story, tell a joke and before you choose where to jump back in, choose to link to that site site from here when you decide to download the software. You will still get the bonus you would if you walked in off the street and used the exact same bonus code, but Cardschat would get referral points, and those help this site exist.

Poker
Bonuses

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, definitely read up on the articles and poker guide, then I'd suggest depositing at pokerstars or Full Tilt. Both have a lot of selection for a player of any stakes, but I prefer Stars.

Post your hand histories for analysis in the Hand Analysis section - it's pretty much the best way to get pointers on your game and to learn from your mistakes.

E

evny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you deposit at fulltilt, make sure you sign up through a rakeback provider - it may seem like pennies at the time, but if you ever start playing more volume, you will be glad you did (and you can't change it to a rb account afterwards)

for stars you don't need to worry about that - they have a points program that ends up similar to a rakeback deal

S

starrpats

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you deposit at fulltilt, make sure you sign up through a rakeback provider - it may seem like pennies at the time, but if you ever start playing more volume, you will be glad you did (and you can't change it to a rb account afterwards)

for stars you don't need to worry about that - they have a points program that ends up similar to a rakeback deal

is it possible to tell now if I signed up with such a rakeback bonus?