good hand ... ty

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
shortmofia11 said:
i dont mind the occasional ty or nh but the awful hands that get those comments really bug me. Plus poker is known as a sport just like football or even chess, in the heat of the battle i dont want to be thanking anyone or congratulating anyone-not to be rude but thats just my take on it.
The heat of battle was during the play you just had. Just like in football that great catch or run was just that, a great play. Chess can be that of taking of a queen. The most powerful peice on the board(well in my opinion). It could be that of a good shot, pass in basketball. A hole in 1 in golf, a great tennis shot down the line that hits the chalk and a walk-off home run in baseball. Now it is called sportsmanship last I recalled for the losing team to say good game while the winner also says this. My sport I have always played and been told or said "Nice shot, Nice Pass, Great Steal and Even Good Block" one always has thank you. They or I don't say I am in the heat of battle and can't be bothered. Yet luck doesn't have as much of a strong presence like it does in Poker. Most ot the times it is talent vs talent compared to talent vs talent and luck.

D

dbo69

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree that its not the hand but the way you play it and i get annoyed when people say good hand when they get lucky on the river

S

sublimer21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the funniest thread. :viking:

I tell people nice hand when they truly made chips off of wise bets to maximize the pot for themselves. I prolly say "nicely played" more than the old "nh" though.

Oh and Sorcerer, that is the funniest shit about the guy telling himself nice hand and then thanking himself. I am going to start doing that. Use whatever you can to get the other players wondering about you. I love it, talk to yourself! LOL!!!

sorcerer_

sorcerer_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
heh ...

I'm glad someone found the fun part in it ;)

BatistaJJ

BatistaJJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i guess im like Phil Hellmuth in away cause i usually just moan instead of saying gh, but if some one says gh or nh then i do say ty cause its pollite(something Hellmuth wouldnt do)

stunno

stunno

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being the BB put a guy all in with 52o last night, which was called. The 52o got a 5 on the river to win the hand, I said NH and this jerk went off on one, typing all sorts of abuse!

I then typed "Never heard of irony?" and off he went again! Thought he was going to have a heart attack! I had to add him to the ignore list in the end

No sense of humour some people!

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Nice hand" is a traditional, courteous, congratulatory remark exchanged between gentlemen at poker tables of every skill level across the globe for generations. It implies a dual compliment towards the quality of the cards dealt and the manner in which they were played. You will routinely hear it uttered (with varying degrees of sincerity) from the mouths of top-flight professionals during virtually every poker telecast at one time or another.

To say that it's a hollow, stupid statement that does not reflect the true nature of the game is...well...stupid!

sorcerer_

sorcerer_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DAM ... you do have a point :)

BUT ... I am not a professional poker player ... and playing online it's a little different than the live game

Also, I sometimes do say good hand ... but much more often I say nicely played, or good raise ... and this is a subjective matter, depending on each player... and you don't see professional players saying good hand after each hand to whoever wins

So, this is my personal oppinion .. call me stupid if you wish

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't say good hand. I usually say "nice rake" if they won a big pot or say "nice play." The only time I say "nice hand" is when they have four of a kind or straight flush because, let's face it, it is a good hand. :congrats:

jmj69

jmj69

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer good play to nice hand (skill over luck). It is a more pleasant experience when everyone is polite.(Something this country is lacking-but that is a whole different discussion.)Have a fabulous day!!!

C

chrisjej

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say gh when I feel it would be small of me to say otherwise. I do say "you lucky f***er" when I completely had them and they cop something stupid on the river.

P

python3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I say it if I lost to a good playable hand. It shows class IMO. I don't think it applies to someone that played a 2,7 off in early position that hit a full house.

J

J_dude1912

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like it when people say nh when the hand is crappy and it is a small pot, but when the pot is huge and someone wins with a good hand then I can understand it.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands