GG combining stacks if entering multiple Day 1's - not keen, your view?

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi All.

I find this a bit of a weird concept and don't like it myself. What is your opinion?

You enter the same tournament for Day 1 and if you make it to the target tournament you combine you multiple entries.

Okay, probably does not happen too much as this is probably costly but it gives an edge who can waste money entering more than once. Most likely scenario is if someone finishes with a small stack and wants to retry but this still gives an advantage to someone entering more than once once. If someone does play and finish day one twice with a healthy stack they have a massive advantage over someone that has played well but entered only once.

I find it an odd one.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Note, this is only done on certain tournaments, not all and is stated in the lobby, but still find it an odd one. Not really sure how they decide which tournaments to do this on. So if you enter one day 1 and finish with 15,000 and another day 1 and finish with 40,000 you start day 2 with 55,000 chips.

Last edited:
P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So played day 1 of current tournament, started $25,000 chips for $25. Finished approx $120,000 chips for day 2. $500,000 guaranteed.

It seems like burning money to keep entering a tournament you have qualified for but if I enter Day 1 again and finish in a similar position I will start day 2 with 240,000 but of course most are prob doing one entry but it gives an advantage if you want to run deep. But if you just cash the re-entries are a waste as you will not make the extra buyins back.

Did not realise they doing this with the Day 1's but leaves you not knowing whether to reenter to get a bigger stack.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It does not give any advantage to play day 1 multible times, unless there is some kind of trophy or leaderboard to content for. Because apart from that ICM dictate, that the value of each chip goes down, the more chips you have. So players entering again actually lower their ROI, they do not increase it.

Its very similar to the discussion about tournaments with reentry or rebuy, where playing the same tournament multible times or adding more chips at the same price as the original chips do not give people any advantage. Yet many players dislike it, and if that is the case, its always allowed to not play a certain tournament, if you dont like the structure of it :)

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It does not give any advantage to play day 1 multible times, unless there is some kind of trophy or leaderboard to content for. Because apart from that ICM dictate, that the value of each chip goes down, the more chips you have. So players entering again actually lower their ROI, they do not increase it.

Its very similar to the discussion about tournaments with reentry or rebuy, where playing the same tournament multible times or adding more chips at the same price as the original chips do not give people any advantage. Yet many players dislike it, and if that is the case, its always allowed to not play a certain tournament, if you dont like the structure of it :)

I do not see it the same as re-entry or rebuys. In a rebuy the theory is to initially rebuy to double your stack. But you cannot do this normally if you have more than your stacking stack so if will never amount to more than 2x and re-entries are just buying back your original stack which at that point will equate to double your blinds.

I think it does give an advantage if you do it. ICM may make chips have less value but it is easier to start day with double the chips. But it does give an advantage if you get more chips this way but its an advantage anyone can take but not sure how cost effective it is unless of course you run deep. It was a big prize pool $500,000 so it also depends how much more chance it gives you to run deep.

I should have cashed, had enough chips and was not far from the money but shoved my 10 blinds on the button with kjs and was taken out with a stack equal size.

Other factors than not simply liking it come into play when choosing whether or not to play like how easy the field is which I thought was generally quite easy. It does raise the q to play day 1 again and do find it an odd one and was not sure how cost effective it was although if you can satty into a second entry this makes it cheap.

All in all not a structure I prefer but with the high prize pool, overall low cost entry and not seeing other games I wanted to play I thought it was worth a try but if the same tournament was running not allowing you to do this I would have opted for that one as a preference.