duplicate poker - skill or no

R

razorblades

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i got $5 free on dupicate poker.
i entered a $30 tourny (i think it was $3 buyin), I had a vague understanding of the rules so I really didnt know how to win, but I just concentrated on playing premium hands and betting accordingly. Midway through the tourny, like hand #5/10 in session 1, I flopped a flush 9-10 hearts. I decided to slow play. I checked the flop, turn. On river I minimum raised, I got reraised, I reraised back, I got reraised allin, there is a possible straight on the board, so i think my flush is good, however, other guy had A-2 hearts so I lost that pot,
i didnt actually win another pot in this session, oh hand 10/10 session 1 I thought I had no chacne of advancing to the next session so I raised the pot and after the flop I went allin with pocket dueces hoping to hit a set, i lost that hand because some idiot called me with 2-3 and hit a 3 on the turn.
anyways even though I lost so many pots, I amazingly advanced to the next session and the one after that, in fact in the final session, I didnt get any good cards and lost every single hand, when the tournament ended I was shocked to receive the message" Congratulations, You have placed 1st in the tournament. $14 will be credited to your account. (note this tourny had more than 10 players so prize pool was way more than $30)

anyways I decided to play another tourny becuase the minimum amount to cash out is $20 and I only have $16. this time i played pretty well and won many pots and won $19 in a tourny, so now i was upto $35 and immediately cashed out, duplicate poker is a unique concept but there is alot of luck still involved, i am never going to play here again because i find the concept of beating your duplicate to be rather ridiculous

sisko

sisko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i tried this site today,although its different and fun, luck is involved whatever their site writes. because different opponents affect game much. a few examples i remember

a maniac raised pot, so i folded my offsuit KQ, flop showed a queen and jack, it turned out that other guy has QJ, so all my opponents didnt have a maniac like that and lost :)

at other level, this time another maniac raised, another maniac reraised and i folded my offsuit K8. so flop was KK8 with an opponent having K10, so all of my opponents won a good pot but this time not me and eliminated.

also, they show your rank until fifth hand, but not after that. (every level 8 hand) so if a guy sees he is going to be eliminated if he cant win a good pot in three hands , he gets mad and raises everthing and not poker but mad tilt all in played at those hands

idea is good but not a good way to play poker.

A

Adam L

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not poker, the fun of poker is its unpredictable, still with the real sites. IMO

D

donizhere

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah to me it's over complicating poker, which is meant to be a fairly straightforward/simple game in NLHE poker.

CAPT. ZIGZAG

CAPT. ZIGZAG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sooooo............... It suks? :confused:

---

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I signed up just to see what you guys are talking about and they only gave me $3. Is this bonus they give random?

lildrummr

lildrummr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's actually a lot of fun but very different, I took my free $10 turned it into $64 cashed out fifty just in case it was a crap site. (got my check within a week) I'm back up to $72. You play your table but there are "mirror" tables getting the same cards dealt. You play against someone at a mirror table in your position getting dealt the exact same hand as you. If you play smarter than them you win, if not you lose. You start each round with $1000 and play a certain # of rounds, if you have more $ at the end you get cash. You actually can win at your table but still get knocked out of the tourny. Different and nice for a change. Simple concept

Sheepodog

Sheepodog

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
First let me say that the whole concept and setup Duplicate Poker has is majorly flawed, as explained in prior posts in this thread. I had downloaded and registered last September thru another forum that offers huge specialty trnys and PokerNews ;). But if you are an all around good card player in games like spades, rummy, canasta, pinochle, etc., etc., then you will be able to adapt to the completely flawed method of play at Duplicate. Don't go in saying to yourself that you are a great holdem player and will kick ass. The other players will own you. Learn the game there as cheaply as possible, then go to the higher stakes trnys.

What imma sayin' is, as bad as the format is, there's a TON OF CASH FOR THE TAKING!!! :D I've pulled out more than $10K since last September, and won a $7500 package to the South Africa Poker Trny. I've also qualified for a big trny thru Duplicate that runs at the end of Sept...a live trny with $140K in cash payouts.

I'm on the yearly leaderboard with a high ranking at Duplicate. I stopped playing there 2 months ago because of a major disagreement with customer support over $6250 that i say I won, and they say I didn't win in a trny....(they changed the tiebreaker format in a big trny and never posted it in the poker site...It got ugly with em') :deal:

But, just typing this, imma getting the itch to go back again!! lol

Be careful!!...It WILL mess up ur game at other sites!

F

Fryd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have just read about TWINPOKER.COm which should be build on the same concept and therefore legal