Chat Boxes/Railing. Does It Effect Your Game?

aloevera

aloevera

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love searching for my CC buddies when I'm playing a game on a site and saying hi and gl...but often wonder if it is distracting to the players game.

I can say that in some situations for me it can be;) I paid my money to get into the game and now I just made the final table of a 1000 person MTT and 20 people are chattin in the box, messengers are lighting up:eek: pm pop ups are going off at CC and I don't want to be rude and say STFU:D I know what your gonna say, be invisible, turn off chat, don't sign into messengers...lol how much fun would that be lol

Like I said I do it too, but I think it depends on the situation as well, sometimes I'm multi-tabling at two different sites I try to keep up with the chat questions not to be rude. I love a great cheering team and support system and CC is one of the best;)

I'm just wondering on other peoples point of views on the situation!!

Last edited:
shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have found that at times that it does affect one game.
For this reason, when I rail, I will only say the occasional "nh", "well played" etc, and just usually rail quietly.

pezjb

pezjb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, I definitly think railing quiet is the best bet for everyone.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love searching for my CC buddies when I'm playing a game on a site and saying hi and gl...but often wonder if it is distracting to the players game.
It does alert your opponents to the fact that you are a not a poker newbie, if people start railing you. Maybe they'll start giving you a bit more credit than before, and play a bit tighter against you?

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually do the whole "cheering" thing, lol. it doesnt really effect MY game too too much i dont think, and like rob said i think it might alert the opponents that you're not a noob.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doesn't worry me. I think it's great and it reinforces what I hope is my solid image because by the time it gets near the end I'm playing all sorts of nonsense given the context.

Someone chatting in the chatbox can get a bit much, but most people seem to get that saying hello, and nh etc is cool.

Plus it makes me feel special and that is nice :)

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doesn't worry me. I think it's great and it reinforces what I hope is my solid image because by the time it gets near the end I'm playing all sorts of nonsense given the context.

Someone chatting in the chatbox can get a bit much, but most people seem to get that saying hello, and nh etc is cool.

Plus it makes me feel special and that is nice :)

You are special, Rex :)

At least to the rest of the CCers.

I'm glad you ask the question, Aloe. I'm not much of an MTTer, but do enjoy railing 'cause I find it fun and exciting to see someone I know doing well, so I hope it's not too distracting for them.

aloevera

aloevera

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm glad you ask the question, Aloe. I'm not much of an MTTer, but do enjoy railing 'cause I find it fun and exciting to see someone I know doing well, so I hope it's not too distracting for them.

I imagine the amount of the buy-in like if its a freeroll or 20$ sng, might make a difference too.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
like most things in life there are good points to it and bad ones.

both points have already been stated.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
here is my point of view to this...oh yeah awesome thread.....i dont mind ppl railing me but if they r asking me bunch of questions like what did u have last hand, im obviously not going to answer. and if they say nh i will say ty. but if im multi tabling then i wont talk as much. also about the messengers....i sometimes have to sign off all of my messengers because i have a lot of friends and it can be annoying when about 20 ppl r trying to talk to ya

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no friends so messenger isn't an issue; plus I suck at poker and obv have very little idea what I'm actually doing so no one rails me either. :)

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
like most things in life there are good points to it and bad ones.

both points have already been stated.

Maybe I missed that one, but I think this is a great thread (nice one April).

On occasion, especially if it's a member who I enjoy watching, I will rail. But what I have seen happen is that the chat between members dominates the chatbox. I am just as guilty as any other person, and have even been put in my place (thanks, shine). It can be distracting and have negative consequences on that members game (added pressure maybe?).

Most of the rail calls, however, have been asked for. If that's the case then the resulting melee is fine as long as we don't insult anyone and handle ourselves with the appropriate discretion.

And I, like April, have searched certain members to watch their play... but I seldom rail unless A) I know them well or B) they asked for a rail.

Personally, I will probably never call for a rail (wouldn't want to bore anyone) but if someone searched me and started to rail I would be flattered. And there lies the point of my meandering post... those that rail are just trying to show support and love for their fellow CC members - and not all members get that support.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no friends so messenger isn't an issue; plus I suck at poker and obv have very little idea what I'm actually doing so no one rails me either. :)

i can be yr friend :) and u dont suck at poker ur just getting better and improving....just make sure when u win that sunday mill u remember about bob lol hehe.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i can be yr friend :)
Oh great, now I'm going to have someone harassing me on messenger while I'm trying to play. ;)

u dont suck at poker ur just getting better and improving.
Guess I should have used the ;) instead of the :) to convey my silly comment. :eek:

just make sure when u win that sunday mill u remember about bob lol hehe.
Bob who? :eek: :D

But in all seriousness, this is a good topic. And no, I don't care if I'm railed or not or who is typing what where. None of it affects my game.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol..yea definitely will harass u...will annoy the shit out of ya lol jk. i kind of figured u were jk about not winning. ( but if u werent dont feel bad i suck too) i only took 2nd out of 460 in my last 5$ tourney lol

aloevera

aloevera

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Lol JD, I think I've railed just about everybody, apparently I'm pretty lucky too, give me a heads up next time I will be your friend :D

amygrantfan

amygrantfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i recommending ignoring any chat and just focusing on the game.

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol JD, I think I've railed just about everybody, apparently I'm pretty lucky too, give me a heads up next time I will be your friend :D

i could use some luck, come rail me all you want. lol

break17 on full tilt.

Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever Aloe rails I do good so she is always welcome, the rest of you STAY AWAY!!!!. ;)

Railing would never bother me, I can concentrate on the game and chat a bit as well.

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i actually dont think ive ever had someone rail me except when me and 1548 were inthe midnight madness on FT and we railed each other

=/ but then again i havent been in any good tournaments lately, so i dont blame you.

aloevera

aloevera

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i actually dont think ive ever had someone rail me except when me and 1548 were inthe midnight madness on FT and we railed each other

=/ but then again i havent been in any good tournaments lately, so i dont blame you.

Lol when you get to a tournament give us a shout, lots of us enjoy playing a table or two and railing.:)

Top 10 Games