Berate bad players???

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sitting at a FR $25 NL table and this guy sits down and proceeds to blow through 3 buyins in about 30 to 40 hands. His stats were 90+ VP$IP and 0% PFR, and he basically bet pot, or more, every hand he was in.

Pretty much the absolute ideal person you want at your table right? He paid off everyones good hands without fail.

So what do 2 or 3 at the table start doing? Berating him for his play! Pointing out he has no skill, it takes no skill to smash the bet pot button until your mouse breaks etc etc. W.T.F. !@!!!

I don't get it. Make the guy feel like he's your long lost best friend for petes sake!

So the next time you have a total idiot at the table. PLEASE be nice to him. He may just double you up like this guy did for me tonight.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sitting at a FR $25 NL table and this guy sits down and proceeds to blow through 3 buyins in about 30 to 40 hands. His stats were 90+ VP$IP and 0% PFR, and he basically bet pot, or more, every hand he was in.

Pretty much the absolute ideal person you want at your table right? He paid off everyones good hands without fail.

So what do 2 or 3 at the table start doing? Berating him for his play! Pointing out he has no skill, it takes no skill to smash the bet pot button until your mouse breaks etc etc. W.T.F. !@!!!

I don't get it. Make the guy feel like he's your long lost best friend for petes sake!

So the next time you have a total idiot at the table. PLEASE be nice to him. He may just double you up like this guy did for me tonight.
I had this idea for my next blog post. I think the biggest problem relating to this situation is that berating someone for bad play is a disservice to the other players who want him to stay and keep playing badly. People (read: children) seem to think it's more important for them to get their immature frustrations out by typing insults on a keyboard. I get really ticked off when jerks do that, especially when they've busted and are about to leave the table. The only thing they achieve is they prompt the bad player to play better or to leave, which is money out of my pocket.

I had thought about this issue just a little until I read a poker book that actually mentioned the affect it has on ALL the players at the table. I thought it was pretty cool for a book to mention this.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quite right. Most annoying when they start educating the fish.

Optimum solution is to target the guy who thinks he is a player and take his stack. Usually, when he is busy giving the table his wisdom through the chat box, he isn`t paying close attention to those who are not taking part in the conversation.

Makes it easy to trap and crush, when you pick up a hand. ;)

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Played someone similar HU the other day (not the CC event, when I was practicing for it though). He literally could not fold a pair. These were the 25c/50c tables and this guy would put $10 in the pot with bottom pair. A few times he sucked out on me horribly. He'd call with his bottom pair and hit trips or 2 pair. I kept talking about luck. Talking about how I love the dealer and hopefully my luck doesn't run out. And when he sucked out I'd say like "nh, see I don't get lucky every time ;)". It was kind of funny too because he was convinced he was just losing due to luck meanwhile he was playing sooooo bad. Got him marked down to search for next time I play any HU again :)

pappasqueaks

pappasqueaks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is why they are called donks

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first rule of poker really should be: "Don't tap the glass."

NuRelic

NuRelic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yep, I alway type "Tap, Tap, Tap" when players start this crap. If they don't immediately stop or ask me what I meant I know I've got two Donks at the table.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yep, I alway type "Tap, Tap, Tap" when players start this crap. If they don't immediately stop or ask me what I meant I know I've got two Donks at the table.

QUOTE SIGLINE - Limit is like that High School girl you had a crush on; not a lot of guys had the discipline to respect her and to treat her right with the hopes of getting paid off, while no Limit is like that girl's slutty sister that EVERYONE really wants to play with!

NOW I know why I've always preferred limit games. Makes sense. Thank you for putting it in perspective. ... ;)

premierplayer

premierplayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A donk will be donk no matter what is said to him.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A donk will be donk no matter what is said to him.

Probably true - but if there's people at the table abusing them, they might start to feel uncomfortable and go be a donk elsewhere. You want them to stay right where they are.

pappasqueaks

pappasqueaks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
theres a thing called a mute button on the tableu play that is better using it on an annoying player then juss arueing at them back.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
theres a thing called a mute button on the tableu play that is better using it on an annoying player then juss arueing at them back.

Beside the point though, unfortunately. The problem isn't what we see, it's what the donk sees - if they get run off the table by people abusing them, then we lose a potential payday.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play at 10NL and berate players all the time. I cannot help it. I don't know why I do it, but I just do it. I need to get better at not typing in the chat box, maybe disabling the chat box function. But, disabling the chat box function would make me miss out on some valuable information or if I want to have a friendly chat at the table. Maybe a sticker on the top of my laptop that reads "do not tap the glass" will prevent me from yelling at the fish.