Can you become a winning poker player in 30 days?

C

C_mac

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
“Learn how winning players make their money” instead of “Become a winning poker player in 30 days”.
PS: Friends, please don't be quick to label what I said as “hate” or “negativity”. It is neither of those. It is an honest personal opinion that happens to not be of the praising type, about the title and the title only. Thank you Cardschat of making this good book and seminar happen and for providing it for free to all of us, members!

Exactly what I was trying to explain! I will take the course soon too and see if it works and then give more feedback. I have to give it a shot because right now I'm not making any progress and it's very frustrating. I've tried so many different things from playing tighter at certain stages, playing loser at certain stages, playing tighter or loser depending on how many people are at the table, and same results more or less. I'm a losing player but barley as my bankroll will go up and down, but eventually more down and after a few months have to deposit again. So I'll take the course and see if it works.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I guess I didn't give this thread a very good title. This was not meant to mislead anyone.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Of course! It's all about the way in which you interpret the information. As Mike Sexton said: "It takes five minutes to learn but a lifetime to master." ;)

rodo 2285

rodo 2285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes

I think so, there are many factors that will corroborate it later, but always depending on the results and the number of games you play. also the hours you spend

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Undoubtedly, study hard for 2 weeks. Looking at literally as much as you can and learn from others mistakes.
Smart people learn from their mistakes and wise people learn from the mistakes of others.
Poker is a game of analysis and implementation of strategy. If you analyse things enough then you can implement a winning strategy.
Just because you do lose at first doesn’t mean you are not a winning player.

I mean I thought I knew so much and then I read the book and learned to properly implement implied odds. That has made a massive difference within my game. I didn’t learn it from other people. So I believe the key is picking the right sources of information and implementing it in your own way as there is soooo many different situations

C

celtics33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im not even sure 3 years is enough even more-so 30 days lol not a chance unless you are a 1 in a million natural talent or someone called mike postle [emoji14] there are way too many parameters. even after studying, unless you are in the trenches battling everyday its almost impossible to put that theory into successful play.

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no, i dont think so. even if you were at it 24/7

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Seems like I may have offended you. Did you design this course?

If you had checked out the course prior to giving your educated opinion on it, you'd know the answer to this question

fwiw, any 'good' 'course' will be training you on how to think, not just on what to do.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
A year perhaps if you were to use your time wisely.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure, why not?

I've covered a fair portion of the material and have found it quite good. Might be a little excess as you say, but what's wrong with that? Why can't it turn someone into a winning poker player in thirty days? I'm sure it won't turn everyone, but I'm also sure it'll definitely help some.

The biggest problem with most inexperienced poker players is they rely too much on luck and intuition and play too many hands. I think this was one of your gripes regarding the micro games, always getting sucked out on. Yet, I know players who consistently win in the micro games, me included. Not every game of course, but in the long run the bankroll continually climbs.

On one of the sites I play on, I'm ready to leave the micros and advance to the low buy-in games. I currently play in the low buy-ins occasionally, but my bankroll is almost to the point I can start playing in them consistently. I started with $25 a year and a half ago. As you advance in the tiers the players typically get tighter and more aggressive, but the basics stay the same, and there will always be loose players, people with more money than brains, available. I know this for a fact. I used to play professionally back in the eighties and made a good living off them in high stakes games.

Can this course make someone a winning poker player in thirty days? Sure! Why not? Hell, I can do it in a day.

Earlier, my thirteen-year-old granddaughter walked into my computer room while I was playing the CC tournament. I showed her what I was doing and how I was doing it, and then I let her call the shots while I played. She wasn't as aggressive as me, but she was aggressive enough. Came in fourth place.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I don't know, every individual has different capabilities out there , so using the 30 days as a metric is not so right.

The thing is that this particular course has everything gathered in one place which I like a lot. The course won't play instead of you , it is just a guidance to understand the strategy/math behind +EV plays.You should still make something on your own , search on the internet , read whenever you have time , boring right?

What makes me sad is that CC in collaboration with Collin and Katie created such a nice e-book which is accessible to everyone and people don't have the patience or the will to spend some time in order to improve their game.So they have time to play everyday but they don't have some free time to study in order to become better?LOL

After changing some things in my game and most importantly I now understand more than ever the math behind the game I run better and I am talking here about the very basics of the game.

Good luck to everyone,I guess.

A2ub3

A2ub3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The answer to ur question is There’s a big difference between winning once or twice and winning consistently for a long period of time.There’s different motivations for everyone, some people just want to make money and others want to prove they’re the best.Whatever the driving force is you’ve made the conscious decision to get better. It’s time for you to learn how to win at poker.There’s no quick trick to winning at poker, in fact it can be a long hard road.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What makes me sad is that CC in collaboration with Collin and Katie created such a nice e-book which is accessible to everyone and people don't have the patience or the will to spend some time in order to improve their game.So they have time to play everyday but they don't have some free time to study in order to become better?LOL

I understand what you're saying but I think this is the very nature of so many poker players. I have friends who I used to tell them about so many ways they could improve their game (I'd offer to lend them books (I had dozens of the best books available), suggest they join forums, play in certain games, etc. etc. I think they believed they didn't need to get better... just luckier. Even some of the ones who knew it'd make them a better player weren't interested (they didn't want to do the work). When I started out, I appreciated any help I received and I WANTED to do the work.... I was growing tired of losing (albeit not very much) and after having had a small taste of what winning was, I wanted MORE of that & I was more than willing to do what it took so I could reap the rewards of my efforts.

This was many years ago & I grew lazy over the years but I am back at it again now!

Also, do you actually want all the players to read the material and 'get better at poker'? Myself, I like helping out motivated newcomers but tbh, I don't really want the majority of players to get better at the game. I want them to get good enough so that they want to play a lot more and want all of their friends to play too.. but that's about it. (Hey.. I'm being honest here.)

freerollz

freerollz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where would be the best place to notify the course authors of potential typos/mistakes in the course? Is there an errata forum for the course PDF?

JoshSanders

JoshSanders

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, there's a little doubt... A very small period to clearly understand all the processes that take place in poker. It's not enough to act at the highest level. I think victory doesn't really depend on seminars.

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
okay I am fundamentally disagreeing with a lot of what is been said here. It is absolutely definitively possible to go from been a losing player to been a winning player in 30 days. I have seen myself when the games were much easier do it in even less time and tbh the micros have not really changed in standard in my experience over the years.

further even today i have seen others do it I have even trained a few people up in less time to be winning players and I am someone who has not really had much major success in poker I have up until recently for a long time been someone who makes a little bit more than minimum wage from the game. I am not some expert seasoned pro with a long respected record of winning at the highest levels and yet I have trained people who are losing players to be winning players in under a week.

So i absolutely believe some seasoned pros with a proven record could do better at training in a month than what i did in week.

I am not trying to advertise anything I am not offering coaching I think that my game has too many leaks and flaws in it to justify charging people for training I would feel like i was scamming you if i did. I am also not offering any training for free I am too busy. I am just saying I absolutely believe someone can train someone else to be a winning player within a week let alone a month.

I have not watched this video series myself so cannot comment on this particular series myself but from a brief glance of the forums it looks like it might be able to do just that, but i dont want to comment either way.

I at the moment am working through my own training series of videos which I paid good money for, (worth every penny) and thus dont have the time to watch these as well.

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I doubt it. See the problem with these poker courses in my opinion is this:

While the rules of the game might be the same, the game is completely different based of different factors, and they never focus on that. For example the stakes you play. The micros are hard because people don't care as much about the money because it's a few bucks so they have these huge ranges, going all in sometimes on almost anything. 9 handed full ring is totally different then 6 max. All these pro's talk about "bankroll management". So if they're telling you to then start at the micros, but teaching you how to play at higher stakes, it makes no sense.

These course should be set up like "how to become a winning player at 6 max micros", and teach specifically that.

That's exactly the point I think once I restarted to have an interesting in poker last week.
Im playing for free, using the tatics I'm reading and watching. The problem is, the professional stuff isnt true good when you play with "crazy hands". I doubt a professional would do great on a very micro play chips online tournament.

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's exactly the point I think once I restarted to have an interesting in poker last week.
Im playing for free, using the tatics I'm reading and watching. The problem is, the professional stuff isnt true good when you play with "crazy hands". I doubt a professional would do great on a very micro play chips online tournament.
with all due respect you have no idea what your talking about here.
the concepts that a lot of advanced players talk about in hand reading probabilities and odds etc can be applied and modeled to almost any player type. good poker players will work out what your/ anyone elses opening range is and apply adaptation eg if your entering pots with 100% of hands vs entering pots with 10% of hands they can still model your play and work out how likely you are to have hit flops how you play when you hit those flops and what their odds are for any particular play eg can they have the odds to bluff someone of their hand does that person fold etc. a good player will learn fairly quickly if a maniac is going to call down with k/a high or any pair.

I get your frustration when your playing players that will never fold ever ever ever when they have a draw or a hit bottom pair or have ace high and you just cannot hit any flop to save your life your going to lose i dont care who you are your going to lose. However in the long run everyone gets the same luck and if you adapt right over the majority of hands you play against this player you will destroy them. I speak from personal experience with that.

there are very advanced players who play in such a way that is almost impossible to adapt to them because there game is constantly changing to adapt to how you would adapt who even the best players in the world would struggle against. there are no losing players at the micros who professional players could not adapt to and crush. if there were they would not be losing players they would be strong winning players likely playing much higher stakes.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think you have to consider what sample size you're talking about. If you're playing 3-4 free rolls a week against large fields of players it might take a while to realize you're winning. Eventually if you are following correct strategy you should end up ahead overall in these games in the long run.

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with all due respect you have no idea what your talking about here.
the concepts that a lot of advanced players talk about in hand reading probabilities and odds etc can be applied and modeled to almost any player type. good poker players will work out what your/ anyone elses opening range is and apply adaptation eg if your entering pots with 100% of hands vs entering pots with 10% of hands they can still model your play and work out how likely you are to have hit flops how you play when you hit those flops and what their odds are for any particular play eg can they have the odds to bluff someone of their hand does that person fold etc. a good player will learn fairly quickly if a maniac is going to call down with k/a high or any pair.

I get your frustration when your playing players that will never fold ever ever ever when they have a draw or a hit bottom pair or have ace high and you just cannot hit any flop to save your life your going to lose i dont care who you are your going to lose. However in the long run everyone gets the same luck and if you adapt right over the majority of hands you play against this player you will destroy them. I speak from personal experience with that.

there are very advanced players who play in such a way that is almost impossible to adapt to them because there game is constantly changing to adapt to how you would adapt who even the best players in the world would struggle against. there are no losing players at the micros who professional players could not adapt to and crush. if there were they would not be losing players they would be strong winning players likely playing much higher stakes.

I completelly agree with you. I think I wasn't clear with my thoughts, i'm brazilian trying my first words in english hehe.

What i've tried to say is that "sometimes" play smart on a micro buy in play money mtt tournament isn't that sucessfull. Off course if theres a professional player on that table, he'll get over it very quackly, hes going to adapt his game.

What i've tried to say is: on low cost games, with 8 seconds clock, sometimes the rigth thing to do is the wrong.
I know, i'm soundig crazy. Hehe, just trying to chat.
Thanks for you comment

M

MoneyMaker4i

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Starting from 0 I see it as very difficult because in poker the experience is more than fundamental, but if you already have the bases and fundamentals of the game, in 30 days you can improve and become a winning player.

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I completelly agree with you. I think I wasn't clear with my thoughts, i'm brazilian trying my first words in english hehe.

What i've tried to say is that "sometimes" play smart on a micro buy in play money mtt tournament isn't that sucessfull. Off course if theres a professional player on that table, he'll get over it very quackly, hes going to adapt his game.

What i've tried to say is: on low cost games, with 8 seconds clock, sometimes the rigth thing to do is the wrong.
I know, i'm soundig crazy. Hehe, just trying to chat.
Thanks for you comment

yes advanced bluffs and the likes likely wont work against micro stakes players that is why professionals would likely not use such plays. the concepts of why the advanced plays were used though, is influenced by fundamental concepts for poker such as hand ranges probabilities and etc and if you can understand why someone in a training video is mentioning these plays then you can adapt the concepts to micros and this would likely result in different actions if the players play differently which likely they do.

Crash Burn

Crash Burn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Becoming a winner in 30 days is possible, you can even become a winner in 2 hours. You just need to win an MTT and you are already a winner. But this is not the point, but to become a winner permanently and consecutively. That in 30 days I don't know if it is possible but if you are a disciplined, studious, regular, focused player I believe that yes you will become a winner in the short term.

marcopero14

marcopero14

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Becoming a winner in 30 days is possible, you can even become a winner in 2 hours. You just need to win an MTT and you are already a winner. But this is not the point, but to become a winner permanently and consecutively. That in 30 days I don't know if it is possible but if you are a disciplined, studious, regular, focused player I believe that yes you will become a winner in the short term.

Agree!:cool: