The WSOP Main Event is down to Ten players! (and updates to the final table)

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Really? So you figure it was just Hollywooding there?
Personally I am 100% certain he was breaking it down... but then doing so over & over. I have zero doubts of this.

When I began playing online poker I deposited before I ever logged in to a site. (actually started out on 2 sites, depositing on both). I chose a small amount, telling myself that I would only deposit that one time and would attempt to practise Bankroll Management so that I would never need to deposit again & could always play if I wanted to.
Shortly after I discovered a few different leagues & freerolls (they had some REALLY good ones back then... one forum was even larger than CC at the time with a yearly prize sending a member to the WSOP). I added in the freerolls then as well, but preferred the private buyin $-added games (there were many... on some weekends I could play in 30 to even 40 games per day!, $1 to $10 buyins, generous $$'s added to the prizepools... CC had many games like this as well). I mostly played the freerolls to help build the bankrolls for the other games. (I joined up to over 40 different poker sites online). I didn't stick to my 'only deposit one time' motto either... there were way too many great Deposit bonus offers to pass up on. I took advantage of as many as I had time for. On different sites I played different stuff... from 10c SNG's on DoylesRoom to 50nl on ApplePiePoker (yah... there was a site called ApplePiePoker, lol)

Most of the things I've done in poker I have wished I had done sooner. You mentioned that you set some bankroll goals for the freerolls. Was this in hopes of getting the bankroll to a point where you'd be rolled for micro stakes games? (I think we consider 'low stakes' a bit differently... I think of Low stakes as in 25nl (10c/25c blinds, $25 buyin), and maybe $10 to $33 for MTT play. Micro stakes being anything under this... & maybe 'super micro' for games <$1).

What I'm getting at is >>> I think if you were to take the leap and try playing 5nl (or even 2nl), you'll see what I've been saying to you in the past (re: playchip games). It is 2 different games. One plays almost nothing like the other. Give it a go! Give yourself a challenge. You're an intelligent person.. why not use some of it towards a game that involves plenty of it? (how about a challenge thread... $222 to $2,222 by next year's WSOP ;) )
Because, as I have said, I am not a gambler by nature and this year has turned out to be a mass of distractions.

I am goal oriented but in a different way. I set goals to make money from free rolls and reached them. That for me was a level of satisfaction as I went from ground zero (after in some cases making a deposit when I signed up) so then set goals higher, reached those as well but this year has been demanding and I have been unable to hold to anything like the schedule of play of the previous few years. If I can't apply myself properly I know better than to try to make that leap.

By the by, I will admit to having an anal side which meant I discounted the deposit from the bankroll I accumulated on my spreadsheets to show two totals, the one being pure profit, the other the total in the account with deposit. The grand total spreadsheet then shows only the winnings made from scratch so to speak - true free rolls gains from zero. I have found that an interesting project but can understand why others who are gamblers might see that as boring.

Along my CC journey, I have had some really great input from jordanbillie and I really like fundiver199 take on most things and I saved one long post of his where he pointed out the benefits of transitioning from free rolls to buy ins. I've read it many times (similar to your comments above) so yes, if things settle down and I know I can focus over a period then I would like to make the transition.

Ha! I laughed when you used the term 'Hollywooding' regarding the Attenborough tank, because I thought about using the term but then thought it an unfair description. It was not Hollywooding as such, but I think he got caught up with the idea of what might have ended up being one of the greatest calls heads up to (almost) win the main event ever, and he could not let the idea go. He is obviously an accomplished player and I think the initial phase was working back through the hand...but then the idea of the epic call took over and he was lost in the weeds..

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
PLaying 'buyins' vs. freerolls (thinking this should be in it's own thread now) isn't necessarily about 'gambling' & wasn't at all what I was insinuating you should do. It's about moving up to a level where the game changes...where it gets better (& better).
If you hobby was chess, would you want to compete against kids in Grade 1 & 2? 6yr. olds that you could beat every single time you played them? (sure you won't win EVERY single time you play a weaker player in poker, but that's poker). Of course you wouldn't.
fwiw, I don't gamble... at all! I play poker. I don't play slots. I don't play blackjack. I don't play craps.

ikescherer

ikescherer

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If u dont want to get pushed around by good players having a 60% equity that is gambling my friend. High level poker you HAVE to gamble, especially on MTTs.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Congratulations to the winner , 10M $$$ is a lot of money , and he won the prestigious title of wsop Main event winner . I read that many participated in this tourney , do it was a success , despite the difficult times for poker the previous years because of COVID restrictions

WSOP