The WSOP Main Event is down to Ten players! (and updates to the final table)

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
After almost 17 hours of play on Day 7 of the Main Event, the wsop is calling the last ten players, members of the “unofficial” final table, but it may as well be the official final table, as all of the players will sit together when play resumes Friday at 2 p.m. It’s actually sort of apropos because most of this year’s events were played 10-handed.

Ten Players Left: WSOP Main Event Paused After Marathon Day

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Brutal knockout for the 10th place finisher, TT vs. AK and the flop was all Kings.

Axas90

Axas90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No brazil on Final Table? Funny that these are at the forefront of every Online Series

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
No Brazil on Final Table? Funny that these are at the forefront of every Online Series
I wonder how many Brazilian entries they may have been? That may have played a factor. The highest finishing Brazilian was Henry Fischer from Vargas, Brazil in 55th.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The Main Event went from 8663 entries to the final three players at the conclusion of Day 8.

Seat Assignments for the Final Day​

SeatPlayerCountryChip CountBig Blinds
1Adrian AttenboroughAustralia149,800,00050
2Michael DuekArgentina72,100,00024
3Espen JorstadNorway298,000,00099

If you weren't able to catch the action, here is the latest update - https://www.wsop.com/tournaments/updates/?aid=2&grid=4943&tid=20370&dayof=2037012&rr=3

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
First congratulations to Espen Jorstad - I think most felt him a worthy winner.

However, it has to be said the final table, then final three felt somewhat anticlimactic. I never subscribed to the 'November Nine' set up as I felt it too long a break. But, there is a merit in giving them a break. I think it makes sense for the WSOP to close out all tourneys and then bring back the final nine a few days later to close the whole series as a real exclamation point.

As it was (and I do not believe this was the first time) when the final nine table was playing, there was background railing and cheering for another adjacent event which felt ridiculous and inevitably diluted the atmosphere.

Finally, as I have have seen suggested in several places, they really do need to institute a shot clock. Yup, life changing money and all that - but when it started going into the 'let's all adopt a pro players attitude' sit there stoic for many seconds before making an obvious fold or bet it was cliched to the point of irritating. When it got to the big hand showdowns things felt ludicrous -a bottom pair 20 minute tank from Attenborough? As noted, life changing money (that was a $4 million dollar hand) but it was not as though he was sat there with pocket queens with a king on the board. Elsewhere, someone suggested the WSOP institute a shot clock themselves. First, this avoids personal animus which can be sparked by players calling the clock on one another.

And their suggestion made sense to me. Give everyone in the closing stages of the main event (3 tables whatever) five minutes, then automatically warn them sixty seconds to make a decision or the hand is folded. That feels more than generous... there are arguments to say a two minute tank followed by another sixty seconds to act should suffice.

Anyways, congrats to Espen Jorstad and norway.

zorro222_zorro222

zorro222_zorro222

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Agreed, congrats to Espen, a very worthy winner !!

I also agree that the 'November Nine' was not a good thing. Not only was it too long of a break, but it tainted the purity of the tournament because most of the final table hired pros to train them and some even gave them a cut based on their performance which many didn't like and I don't blame them. But you do bring up a good idea of maybe giving them a few extra days.

I do however disagree with you that Attenborough had an obvious fold with his J4. It was a very draw heavy board that every single one bricked out (QJ, J9, and all flush draws, which were all in his range) and given the action you can take out AK which he always 4 bets pre instead of just calling the 3 bet, I will keep in AA and KK which he might want to slow play but AA would raise the flop or turn given how wet the board was. I also don't think he jams QQ or JJ on the river given that they have a lot of showdown value, or even hands like 99, etc. so all in all, I think there are just as many, if not more bluff hands that Espen has than value hands (KQ, KJ, KK, TT, and maybe a few others). I guess you could argue that would he have enough courage to bluff there given the stakes, maybe not?? but I still think that was a tough lay down given the action by both players. Don't get me wrong, I think the 20 minute tank was a bit excessive lol, and I will probably always be in favor of a shot clock, I just think that it was a tougher decision than most people.

Anyways, good hand to discuss and maybe now they will take into consideration some of the suggestions that you mentioned like the sixty second warning which would be a good thing going forward imo. :)

Axas90

Axas90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wonder how many Brazilian entries they may have been? That may have played a factor. The highest finishing Brazilian was Henry Fischer from Vargas, Brazil in 55th.
Yes, that just surprises me, because here too Brazilians are always described as relatively good players who are supposedly so good ;)
but not meant badly. i think there are so many players from south america online that it is inevitable that some will always make it into the top ranks and not necessarily because of their skills.....

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
First congratulations to Espen Jorstad - I think most felt him a worthy winner.

However, it has to be said the final table, then final three felt somewhat anticlimactic. I never subscribed to the 'November Nine' set up as I felt it too long a break. But, there is a merit in giving them a break. I think it makes sense for the WSOP to close out all tourneys and then bring back the final nine a few days later to close the whole series as a real exclamation point.

As it was (and I do not believe this was the first time) when the final nine table was playing, there was background railing and cheering for another adjacent event which felt ridiculous and inevitably diluted the atmosphere.

Finally, as I have have seen suggested in several places, they really do need to institute a shot clock. Yup, life changing money and all that - but when it started going into the 'let's all adopt a pro players attitude' sit there stoic for many seconds before making an obvious fold or bet it was cliched to the point of irritating. When it got to the big hand showdowns things felt ludicrous -a bottom pair 20 minute tank from Attenborough? As noted, life changing money (that was a $4 million dollar hand) but it was not as though he was sat there with pocket queens with a king on the board. Elsewhere, someone suggested the WSOP institute a shot clock themselves. First, this avoids personal animus which can be sparked by players calling the clock on one another.

And their suggestion made sense to me. Give everyone in the closing stages of the main event (3 tables whatever) five minutes, then automatically warn them sixty seconds to make a decision or the hand is folded. That feels more than generous... there are arguments to say a two minute tank followed by another sixty seconds to act should suffice.

Anyways, congrats to Espen Jorstad and Norway.

Your comment on strategy & thoughts on the J4 hand & his contemplation on the call shows really how little you still know about the game. Had you been able to hear their actual thought process, it might've helped you... but not completely. Earlier he made a great call after a 7 min. tank. And it was correct and made a massive difference.

Personally I felt the play & coverage (mostly just the night team coverage) was some of the best they've ever had. And so much of the play was also the best they've ever had. I watched all of it. Every minute. Right til' 6am one night. So glad I did.
One of the pitfalls with the final table was due to stack sizes. There's never been a final table with 8 players all having in the 30-40bb range. That, & ICM changes things considerably. The play prior to the final table was amazing. Taking time off prior to the final table wouldn't have changed much at all (aside from the couple players who weren't very good would likely have gotten much better... or at least you'd think so. (I won't tell you which two they were)). I personally feel that taking the long break before the 'November Nine' diluted things a bunch. Perhaps others thought similarly...
Jorstad could've called clock on Attenborough at any point he wished.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Agreed, congrats to Espen, a very worthy winner !!

I also agree that the 'November Nine' was not a good thing. Not only was it too long of a break, but it tainted the purity of the tournament because most of the final table hired pros to train them and some even gave them a cut based on their performance which many didn't like and I don't blame them. But you do bring up a good idea of maybe giving them a few extra days.

I do however disagree with you that Attenborough had an obvious fold with his J4. It was a very draw heavy board that every single one bricked out (QJ, J9, and all flush draws, which were all in his range) and given the action you can take out AK which he always 4 bets pre instead of just calling the 3 bet, I will keep in AA and KK which he might want to slow play but AA would raise the flop or turn given how wet the board was. I also don't think he jams QQ or JJ on the river given that they have a lot of showdown value, or even hands like 99, etc. so all in all, I think there are just as many, if not more bluff hands that Espen has than value hands (KQ, KJ, KK, TT, and maybe a few others). I guess you could argue that would he have enough courage to bluff there given the stakes, maybe not?? but I still think that was a tough lay down given the action by both players. Don't get me wrong, I think the 20 minute tank was a bit excessive lol, and I will probably always be in favor of a shot clock, I just think that it was a tougher decision than most people.

Anyways, good hand to discuss and maybe now they will take into consideration some of the suggestions that you mentioned like the sixty second warning which would be a good thing going forward imo. :)
Totally agree on the J4o hand. He may also have been thinking that the KQ, KJ hands might be just checking back there... and his trouble being "What hands actually make sense?" busted draws perhaps

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Your comment on strategy & thoughts on the J4 hand & his contemplation on the call shows really how little you still know about the game. Had you been able to hear their actual thought process, it might've helped you... but not completely. Earlier he made a great call after a 7 min. tank. And it was correct and made a massive difference.

Personally I felt the play & coverage (mostly just the night team coverage) was some of the best they've ever had. And so much of the play was also the best they've ever had. I watched all of it. Every minute. Right til' 6am one night. So glad I did.
One of the pitfalls with the final table was due to stack sizes. There's never been a final table with 8 players all having in the 30-40bb range. That, & ICM changes things considerably. The play prior to the final table was amazing. Taking time off prior to the final table wouldn't have changed much at all (aside from the couple players who weren't very good would likely have gotten much better... or at least you'd think so. (I won't tell you which two they were)). I personally feel that taking the long break before the 'November Nine' diluted things a bunch. Perhaps others thought similarly...
Jorstad could've called clock on Attenborough at any point he wished.
Ahh, it's been a while since you have come with the patronising personal attack. Glad to see it's always lurking just beneath the surface.

I know enough about the game, as did the entire poker word excluding Kahe Burns, as far as I am aware, that the hand did not warrant a 20 minute tank. Further, as suggested, a five minute tank plus a one minute warning is more than adequate to make a decision. Shot clocks have been introduced in many different tournament settings now and you see players such as Christoph Voglesang who were notorious for tanking playing much faster and admitting if given the opportunity they will tank for tanking sake. But, If you going to argue that folding J4 on that board merited a twenty minute tank, then have at it.

Jorstad said he never wanted to call the clock, period.

Regarding the 'break', it would simply entail a couple of extra days having the final table of the main event play out as the very final event, the closer. Which is exactly how most tournament series are run.

N

n0n4m3

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, what can you say, lucky ones. And the first place is fire!

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Three players claim the title of world champion: Espen Jorstad, Adrian Attenborough and Michael Duek. Some of these three players will forever write their name in the history of poker. The remaining WSOP Main Event prize money will be distributed as follows: the champion will receive $10,000,000, 2nd place - $6,000,000, 3rd place - $4,000,000.

S

s2w2a

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you were playing heads up for 10 million dollars, would you risk your tournament life with Jd-4d on the very first hand on a board of 8h-10h-Ks-4s-8c?

It was excruciating to watch Adrian Attenborough tank for 20 minutes contemplating making a call with nothing but a pair of 4's...

Dude, what are you thinking? wait for a better spot! There's 10 million dollars on the line!

I couldn't bear to watch and almost turned off the t.v.

And then to call off his chip stack with same hand Jc - 4s on a board of 2h -4h -2c -8s - Qc is mind boggling!

J-4? 10 million on the line - FOLD!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

The same reason there are not any ladies at the final table. There are some truly great Ladies playing poker but the odds are against them getting there when it 300 or 400-1 playing against them makes it hard and unlikely every year. I guarantee this though, it will happen to them and it will be fun and great day to see.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The same reason there are not any ladies at the final table. There are some truly great Ladies playing poker but the odds are against them getting there when it 300 or 400-1 playing against them makes it hard and unlikely every year. I guarantee this though, it will happen to them and it will be fun and great day to see.
It will, and most will know that Efthymia Litsou came in 18th place in the main event this year.

And, not for nothing, on the European Poker Tour, Victoria Coren Mitchell was the first woman to win a main event title (London 2006) and then became the only person to have ever won a second EPT main event title in San Remo ten years later.

Majaloja

Majaloja

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
If you were playing heads up for 10 million dollars, would you risk your tournament life with Jd-4d on the very first hand on a board of 8h-10h-Ks-4s-8c?

It was excruciating to watch Adrian Attenborough tank for 20 minutes contemplating making a call with nothing but a pair of 4's...

Dude, what are you thinking? wait for a better spot! There's 10 million dollars on the line!

I couldn't bear to watch and almost turned off the t.v.

And then to call off his chip stack with same hand Jc - 4s on a board of 2h -4h -2c -8s - Qc is mind boggling!

J-4? 10 million on the line - FOLD!
With J4s the grand final was shot

Axas90

Axas90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The difference, however, is that even most women, even if they are beginners, play far better than most Brazilians.
Ask me like so many South Americans donate every day.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It will, and most will know that Efthymia Litsou came in 18th place in the main event this year.

And, not for nothing, on the European Poker Tour, Victoria Coren Mitchell was the first woman to win a main event title (London 2006) and then became the only person to have ever won a second EPT main event title in San Remo ten years later.

To be honest of the top Ten Ladies I would hope to make it Victoria coren Mitchel is right up there with them. She is a solid worthy player.

The difference, however, is that even most women, even if they are beginners, play far better than most Brazilians.
Ask me like so many South Americans donate every day.
Never under estimate the Brazillions. I played VS one of there top pros in the WSOP in 2019. She is also one of the top female players and one of Brazil's top poker players in the world. Vivian Saliba is a player who I believe could actually final table the main event and has gone deep into one already. She is also a very class act act the table. It was a honour and pleasure playing VS her.

ikescherer

ikescherer

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have to agree that:

'let's all adopt a pro players attitude' sit there stoic for many seconds before making an obvious fold or bet it was cliched to the point of irritating.

This is becaming very annoying, all the table acting for 20 seconds to lay down rags pre flop.

People on TV want to murder themselves. The 20 minute tank was absolutely ridiculous.

Offline Poker CULTURE must change, taking so long to make decisions does not mean by any manner superior poker.

Shot clocks must come in to change this colective madness.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Ahh, it's been a while since you have come with the patronising personal attack. Glad to see it's always lurking just beneath the surface.

I know enough about the game, as did the entire poker word excluding Kahe Burns, as far as I am aware, that the hand did not warrant a 20 minute tank. Further, as suggested, a five minute tank plus a one minute warning is more than adequate to make a decision. Shot clocks have been introduced in many different tournament settings now and you see players such as Christoph Voglesang who were notorious for tanking playing much faster and admitting if given the opportunity they will tank for tanking sake. But, If you going to argue that folding J4 on that board merited a twenty minute tank, then have at it.

Jorstad said he never wanted to call the clock, period.

Regarding the 'break', it would simply entail a couple of extra days having the final table of the main event play out as the very final event, the closer. Which is exactly how most tournament series are run.

I was referring to your insinuation that the hand was an obvious fold for him... when it clearly wasn't. Yes the length of time taken was excessive.
I believe it's a difficult situation... I hate it when players stall in spots preflop where they're folding 100% in a spot of no significance BUT there are other times when they need the time. ie. the one call Attenborough made after tanking for 7 mins. was amazing! It also made for some GREAT TV!! The hand made it into the Top 5 amazing hands played... ones that were repeatedly viewed 'after' the fact. Should he have folded that one in 5mins., called in 6? Personally I was on the edge of my seat the entire 7 minutes! And that 7 minutes was far more exciting than the previous 7 mins. where I watched 4 hands play out.
Question for you... why do you only play 'free' games online? Are you under 18yrs. old? Is spending $1 on poker against your values? (against religious beliefs?). I'm just curious. I mean it seems you're interested in learning deeper levels of thinking in the game of poker and an avid enthusiast. I mentioned previously to you that the game changes as you move up in levels (I'm still stuck in micro/low levels online for a few different reasons... one being I don't work hard enough at it these days, feel comfortable winning at the low level I play at. Still considering giving MTT's a go though, with hopes of being at least a Low Stakes 'part-time' reg. How bout you? (I've tried asking you previously in pm's but you've never responded)

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
As far as Attenborough's call goes... that guy played AWESOME!!! In Espen's victory/acceptance speech, he mentioned on Day 6 he was really hoping he'd get KO'd & had lost every hand vs. him... and then here he was facing him in HU for the title. There's a reason Attenborough made it to HU and it wasn't because of making poor decisions.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I was referring to your insinuation that the hand was an obvious fold for him... when it clearly wasn't. Yes the length of time taken was excessive.
I believe it's a difficult situation... I hate it when players stall in spots preflop where they're folding 100% in a spot of no significance BUT there are other times when they need the time. ie. the one call Attenborough made after tanking for 7 mins. was amazing! It also made for some GREAT TV!! The hand made it into the Top 5 amazing hands played... ones that were repeatedly viewed 'after' the fact. Should he have folded that one in 5mins., called in 6? Personally I was on the edge of my seat the entire 7 minutes! And that 7 minutes was far more exciting than the previous 7 mins. where I watched 4 hands play out.
Question for you... why do you only play 'free' games online? Are you under 18yrs. old? Is spending $1 on poker against your values? (against religious beliefs?). I'm just curious. I mean it seems you're interested in learning deeper levels of thinking in the game of poker and an avid enthusiast. I mentioned previously to you that the game changes as you move up in levels (I'm still stuck in micro/low levels online for a few different reasons... one being I don't work hard enough at it these days, feel comfortable winning at the low level I play at. Still considering giving MTT's a go though, with hopes of being at least a Low Stakes 'part-time' reg. How bout you? (I've tried asking you previously in pm's but you've never responded)

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, there are times when a player is tortured with a decision and a tank is merited. However, I do not believe this was one of them. Yes, Jorstad could have been bluffing and Attenborough with a pair has equity and reason to think for a spell. Not twenty minutes. Sorry, but I think what he kept thinking about was the epic hero call, that scenario alone. I don't believe he was breaking down the hand in any meaningful sense so if he wanted to make that play ( which led to his demise with another such call) he could have made it much quicker. Kahle Burns did make note of one valid thing which was Attenborough was not taking excessive time prior to that hand...but...the length of time remains questionable, that we can at least agree on.

Regarding pm's I have long since not responded to any. Since joining CC I have generally had messages of support and thanks but then also the opposite from time to time. For various reasons I decided quite some time ago I would ignore them all, good or bad, and I stick to the practice rigidly understanding that some are disappointed with a lack of response. There are actually a few other reasons why I do not use pm but the overarching reason is I prefer to discuss everything in public so to speak. I imagine at times it has felt like a personal snub, but it really isn't.

Regarding my view of poker - its push and pull.

I have never wagered a red cent outside of poker (ever) but I got drawn to the game as I was fascinated with the psychology. Before I ever played a single hand (I have posted on this) I was watching EPT live streams when staged. They became the most exciting and compelling viewing for me over everything else - I mean sports, drama everything. So I learnt the game (as you do know) with play chips then I graduated to CC and free rolls. I set bankroll goals, modest but I blew past them, then the next goals likewise and thought I would be compelled to start playing low stakes. However this year's been odd. I have played dramatically less poker this year as other issues have demanded time and attention. So, to date I have not made the leap (even though technically bankrolled to a degree) but honestly I have not felt like I was missing anything as I can only spend infrequent time on poker at the moment.

That said, the fascination is still there.

I have made note of your goals for the WSOP 2023 and think it an exciting target to aim for, so will be following along.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, there are times when a player is tortured with a decision and a tank is merited. However, I do not believe this was one of them. Yes, Jorstad could have been bluffing and Attenborough with a pair has equity and reason to think for a spell. Not twenty minutes. Sorry, but I think what he kept thinking about was the epic hero call, that scenario alone. I don't believe he was breaking down the hand in any meaningful sense

Really? So you figure it was just Hollywooding there?
Personally I am 100% certain he was breaking it down... but then doing so over & over. I have zero doubts of this.
I set bankroll goals, modest but I blew past them, then the next goals likewise and thought I would be compelled to start playing low stakes. However this year's been odd. I have played dramatically less poker this year as other issues have demanded time and attention. So, to date I have not made the leap (even though technically bankrolled to a degree) but honestly I have not felt like I was missing anything as I can only spend infrequent time on poker at the moment.

That said, the fascination is still there.

I have made note of your goals for the WSOP 2023 and think it an exciting target to aim for, so will be following along.
When I began playing online poker I deposited before I ever logged in to a site. (actually started out on 2 sites, depositing on both). I chose a small amount, telling myself that I would only deposit that one time and would attempt to practise Bankroll Management so that I would never need to deposit again & could always play if I wanted to.
Shortly after I discovered a few different leagues & freerolls (they had some REALLY good ones back then... one forum was even larger than CC at the time with a yearly prize sending a member to the WSOP). I added in the freerolls then as well, but preferred the private buyin $-added games (there were many... on some weekends I could play in 30 to even 40 games per day!, $1 to $10 buyins, generous $$'s added to the prizepools... CC had many games like this as well). I mostly played the freerolls to help build the bankrolls for the other games. (I joined up to over 40 different poker sites online). I didn't stick to my 'only deposit one time' motto either... there were way too many great Deposit bonus offers to pass up on. I took advantage of as many as I had time for. On different sites I played different stuff... from 10c SNG's on DoylesRoom to 50nl on ApplePiePoker (yah... there was a site called ApplePiePoker, lol)

Most of the things I've done in poker I have wished I had done sooner. You mentioned that you set some bankroll goals for the freerolls. Was this in hopes of getting the bankroll to a point where you'd be rolled for micro stakes games? (I think we consider 'low stakes' a bit differently... I think of Low stakes as in 25nl (10c/25c blinds, $25 buyin), and maybe $10 to $33 for MTT play. Micro stakes being anything under this... & maybe 'super micro' for games <$1).

What I'm getting at is >>> I think if you were to take the leap and try playing 5nl (or even 2nl), you'll see what I've been saying to you in the past (re: playchip games). It is 2 different games. One plays almost nothing like the other. Give it a go! Give yourself a challenge. You're an intelligent person.. why not use some of it towards a game that involves plenty of it? (how about a challenge thread... $222 to $2,222 by next year's WSOP ;) )

WSOP