WSOP.com bans an account after a popular pro alleges cheating

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
wsop.com has banned the account of a player accused of cheating by poker pro and 5-time bracelet winner, Jeremy Ausmus after he was beaten heads-up in the $7,777 high-roller bracelet event in October. With a delayed update through Twitter, Jeremy gave kudos to WSOP.com for looking into his suspicions during the heads-up and then doing something about it but the man he’s accused, Jared “jstrizza” Strauss, says it’s all nonsense.

The article linked recounts the events and the Twitter exchanges as well as statements. >>>WSOP.com Bans Account after Popular Pro Accuses it of Cheating in a High Roller Bracelet Event

2f9ba63e-jeremy-ausmus-1200x800.jpeg

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I was about to come down on the side of Strauss after reading most of the article, then the last part where the other pro turned himself in was mentioned and that really got me wondering....

Strauss came across incredibly well in his statement I thought, and its clearly a horrible feeling having your name dragged through the mud like that, when nothing is openly proven. Its a bad look for poker in general. Firstly that this can clearly take place so easily online. Mostly though, that another players accusations can be acted upon without any kind of transparent investigation or sharing of findings is pretty shocking. I accept they are entitled to ban whoever they want, legally, but it does not come across well at all. In a sporting situation for example you would expect at least some kind of explanation from the governing body of the competition. For example when Wimbledon banned Russian and Belerusin players last year. You an agree or disagree but they explain why THEY chose to do it.

As it is, Strauss has either cheated and deserves it, but no one understands what has happened and how, or what exactly it was WSOP saw in histories/interviews etc that made it look suspicious.
Or, he is innocent, and it makes poker look like a massively closed shop, where anyone who plays above their level and wins big is at risk of being accused of cheating. This is clearly not good for poker long term, and something needs to be done about it? Maybe some kind of verification for all the FT? No idea how that could work tho.

I'm still unsure if I think he cheated or not, I'm inclined to trust him having read nothing apart from this article.

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't believe I'm going to agree with Mike Matusow, but with the Covid situation getting better, online bracelet events doesn't make a sense.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
He doesn't have much of a track record but in tournament play, anything can happen. Why would he choose THAT game to play in though? He'd only had two cashes in his lifetime that were bigger than the buyin of THAT one (and not by much).
Only appears to have 6 cashes in 2022 & 9 cashes in 2021 (that's not really representative of how he presented himself in his twitter comments) & in 2002 & prior he's playing $20 mtts
One thing he said that set off warning bells for me was when he said something along the lines of 'telling the site as best he could remember why he made the decisions he made in HandHistory questions he was presented with... he was playing so many hands and it was days ago. He answered the best that he could recall. I'm sorry but when you're taking optimal lines regularly, you tend to a) know wtf you are doing b) can answer sh1t to a 'T' when asked about it. But maybe he's just a noob and got lucky? And can't recall exactly why he did what he did & when he did it.
I'd believe that WSOP site wouldn't be banning him unless they had some decent info./evidence.

ScreenHunter 11146

millya5

millya5

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Bad jokes need iron proof to accuse......

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
WSOP.com has banned the account of a player accused of cheating by poker pro and 5-time bracelet winner, Jeremy Ausmus after he was beaten heads-up in the $7,777 high-roller bracelet event in October. With a delayed update through Twitter, Jeremy gave kudos to WSOP.com for looking into his suspicions during the heads-up and then doing something about it but the man he’s accused, Jared “jstrizza” Strauss, says it’s all nonsense.

The article linked recounts the events and the Twitter exchanges as well as statements. >>>WSOP.com Bans Account after Popular Pro Accuses it of Cheating in a High Roller Bracelet Event

2f9ba63e-jeremy-ausmus-1200x800.jpeg
Honestly ? It looks like Ausmus simply got his ego hurt and has an unhealthy amount of self-confidence which must have resulted in his train of thought that a lowstakes player couldn't possibly beat him .
What a sore loser . I never liked him , you can even feel his arrogance and entitlement.
Plus : Strauss is still the official winner of that event which leaves only one explanation imo.
It was in fact a business decision by WSOP.com and they simply didn't want to piss off a well established Pro

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
One thing he said that set off warning bells for me was when he said something along the lines of 'telling the site as best he could remember why he made the decisions he made in HandHistory questions he was presented with... he was playing so many hands and it was days ago. He answered the best that he could recall. I'm sorry but when you're taking optimal lines regularly, you tend to a) know wtf you are doing b) can answer sh1t to a 'T' when asked about it.
What a great nickname choice.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a serious matter, but the most important thing is that the solution is done according to the truth.

G0930

G0930

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
It is a serious matter, but the most important thing is that the solution is done according to the truth.
Which can't be clarified because wsop.com didn't even give the alleged cheater any reason for the block.
Really looks like Ausmus threw a tantrum and wsop.com didn't want to piss him off..

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First time reading this or anything really to do with cheating. But to be accused and banned without an investigation is just wrong. How can you prove online cheating anyway or how can you even tell someone is cheating. I am not up on this topic at all, just curious.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If he actually cheated , then its a good decision . They made an investigation , I want to believe they found sth , some irregularities , that why they decided to enforce this ban on that player . Generally speaking , I have to admit , I am a bity sceptical when sth like this happens . If a unimportant player , a small fish , complaints for sb , suspecting him to be a bot or to use ellegal huds and programms , the poker rooms many times do nothing . But if the player that complains is well known or the stakes are very high , they might do sth . I dont know.......

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
First time reading this or anything really to do with cheating. But to be accused and banned without an investigation is just wrong. How can you prove online cheating anyway or how can you even tell someone is cheating. I am not up on this topic at all, just curious.

They can detect software running.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
As I read this article and post I have some really mixed feeling over this. I understand that WSOP want to keep it private but once banning the account and making it public with nothing is not helpful. In theory they should have something but what? We don't need the details but this is just not helpful. why?

I live within a few hours of 2 states I could play this in. I play with cardschat and micro stakes for fun for the most part. The kids are almost old enough where I can go there for a few days and play in some of there events in the next years or so. I want to play the circuit event and maybe for a bracelet. What if I win heads up vs a pro like that? Yes i would be lucky but could I be banned and had this said about me? The odds of my winning are slim to none but after reading all of this why would I drive to another state to have my name run through the mud? I was thinking of trying one this year but now maybe not.

As for the pros like Mike the mouth complaining, I understand why you dont like it but I cant leave my job and family for 6 weeks to play in the WSOP or any other event. I cant afford it. Yet if there was a chance to play something like the colossus online, I would love to have the chance. There are things that can be done if they wanted to so they can prove who is playing ect.

G0930

G0930

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
As I read this article and post I have some really mixed feeling over this. I understand that WSOP want to keep it private but once banning the account and making it public with nothing is not helpful. In theory they should have something but what? We don't need the details but this is just not helpful. why?

I live within a few hours of 2 states I could play this in. I play with cardschat and micro stakes for fun for the most part. The kids are almost old enough where I can go there for a few days and play in some of there events in the next years or so. I want to play the circuit event and maybe for a bracelet. What if I win heads up vs a pro like that? Yes i would be lucky but could I be banned and had this said about me? The odds of my winning are slim to none but after reading all of this why would I drive to another state to have my name run through the mud? I was thinking of trying one this year but now maybe not.

As for the pros like Mike the mouth complaining, I understand why you dont like it but I cant leave my job and family for 6 weeks to play in the WSOP or any other event. I cant afford it. Yet if there was a chance to play something like the colossus online, I would love to have the chance. There are things that can be done if they wanted to so they can prove who is playing ect.
I read it too and it really does sound like they only investigated because it was a prominent player who filed the complaint. I really can't imagine this happening if the roles where switched.
I understand that they don't make information public until the investigation is finished but not even the alleged cheater got any info on why he was banned.
Sounds really fishy to me.
Wonder if that will backfire. definetly not good for their reputation all this secrecy about their "investigation"

WSOP