WPT Jacksonville, Florida is postponed due to rising COVID cases

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The WPT BestBet Scramble event in Jacksonville, Florida was scheduled for August the 27th and is now postponed indefinitely. The reason? Rising COVID-19 cases in the state of Florida have given the organizers the reason to call it off.

09c5203dda0dd71b25ccd85f55c9454e.png

WPT Jacksonville Stop Postponed Due to Rising COVID-19 Cases in Florida

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
So unfortunate that COVID mitigation measures have been politicized to such an extent in Florida...hopefully they'll get to reschedule and play soon.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
So unfortunate that COVID mitigation measures have been politicized to such an extent in Florida...hopefully they'll get to reschedule and play soon.

Yup - Florida has the highest number of new infections and hospitalizations and yet DeSantis blamed the media today (WTF?). These bad actors are now re-distributing the virus and doing further damage to their own economies.

The only positive thing to say is that at this point it is clear to the nation who precisely is exacerbating the Covid situation and new polls show 70% plus disprove of 'red state' Covid politics and those who refuse to be vaccinated.

Spielkind

Spielkind

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
covid Type D is raising----better to stay at home---germany is 55% vaccinated double--the youth is the primery problem--summer party the killer is everywhere around you--stay alive--big discussion

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is disappointing. Best Bet is my favorite room to play in. They have a very high quality staff and well run tournaments. But Florida is a mess.

JordanH

JordanH

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So sorry to see what's happening in Florida. Makes me wonder though. Our taxes go in large part to funding really smart people in all sorts of government agencies to "think" wisely, develop contingency plans and manage public emergencies. Yet in the end it's the gut reactions of the politically motivated Governors or the President that carry the most weight.

The Republicans are right. Who needs big government if you're just going to ignore the advice of the really costly, really smart people that toil away coming up with really smart solutions in government agencies? All you need is a Governor for each state, a President for the country, a few aides and a lot of security. Could save trillions of dollars.

Last edited:
D

DonkArmyFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Over here in Australia we just had a healthy 27 year old die of Covid-D our whole country is being put on notice and people are taking it much more seriously then last year in march that's for sure.

I personally do not believe that wsop will go ahead this year as it could become a super spreader event, imagine one infected person touching their chips then then busting for the whole table to be exposed.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Over here in Australia we just had a healthy 27 year old die of Covid-D our whole country is being put on notice and people are taking it much more seriously then last year in march that's for sure.

I personally do not believe that WSOP will go ahead this year as it could become a super spreader event, imagine one infected person touching their chips then then busting for the whole table to be exposed.

I think its 50/50.

If Las Vegas truly employs Covid protocols it might go ahead...well that is what I thought....but they need to pay heed to what has transpired in Florida- the rampant spread of Delta by idiot DeSantis.

Nevada is re-instating mask mandates in vulnerable areas and within cities so it is just going to end up being a wait and see period. Unfortunately the modeling regarding the spread of Delta as the US exits summer and heads for fall is quite alarming.

D

DonkArmyFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look at the state of New south wales in Australia, we had 1 covid case on the 23rd of june, now we are averaging around the 190-200 a day mark due to people spreading it without knowing before that date and we still have an estimated 5 weeks of lockdown left!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think its 50/50.

If Las Vegas truly employs Covid protocols it might go ahead...well that is what I thought....but they need to pay heed to what has transpired in Florida- the rampant spread of Delta by idiot DeSantis.

Nevada is re-instating mask mandates in vulnerable areas and within cities so it is just going to end up being a wait and see period. Unfortunately the modeling regarding the spread of Delta as the US exits summer and heads for fall is quite alarming.

Even if the do all they can I wonder how many people will just skip it anyways at this point. 3 weeks ago I was looking to book a trip to the WSOP and today I am glad it did not get booked. Just not worth it at this point.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Even if the do all they can I wonder how many people will just skip it anyways at this point. 3 weeks ago I was looking to book a trip to the WSOP and today I am glad it did not get booked. Just not worth it at this point.

Yeah, I hate to say it Luvepoker but I think I am now starting to believe it will become more and more difficult to stage - yesterday 656 people died. An ex-Trump Covid spokesman on cable yesterday warned that if the tide is not turned with Delta that another 75.000 Americans might pass before thanksgiving - he of course was advocating for Covid protocols to be in place everywhere. Dire stuff.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yup - Florida has the highest number of new infections and hospitalizations and yet DeSantis blamed the media today (WTF?). These bad actors are now re-distributing the virus and doing further damage to their own economies.

The only positive thing to say is that at this point it is clear to the nation who precisely is exacerbating the Covid situation and new polls show 70% plus disprove of 'red state' Covid politics and those who refuse to be vaccinated.

I see a lot of people saying DeSantis is criminally stupid and I have to disagree, he has an undergrad degree from Yale and a JD from Harvard and was also a member of the Judge Advocate General's Corps in the military.

Stupid people don't accomplish these kinds of achievements, what I see is that he's all in on a strategy aligned with the values and beliefs of Trump's base that is purely for his own political gain and I suspect that includes a 2024 presidential run if Trump doesn't give it another shot. Unfortunately for the citizens of the state, his laws aimed at torpedoing COVID mitigation measures for the sake of "freedom" couldn't have come at a worse possible time.

You see the same thing in Texas, Abbott is all in on the COVID denialism and cases are exploding there too.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I see a lot of people saying DeSantis is criminally stupid and I have to disagree, he has an undergrad degree from Yale and a JD from Harvard and was also a member of the Judge Advocate General's Corps in the military.

Stupid people don't accomplish these kinds of achievements, what I see is that he's all in on a strategy aligned with the values and beliefs of Trump's base that is purely for his own political gain and I suspect that includes a 2024 presidential run if Trump doesn't give it another shot. Unfortunately for the citizens of the state, his laws aimed at torpedoing COVID mitigation measures for the sake of "freedom" couldn't have come at a worse possible time.

You see the same thing in Texas, Abbott is all in on the COVID denialism and cases are exploding there too.

I myself have also said that DeSantis has zero qualms about playing directly to the Trump/Republican base. I could get into an argument about academic smarts do not necessarily translate into general smarts but it would be redundant because I agree in that actors such as DeSantis, or Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz are undoubtedly intelligent but completely lack a moral compass.

People were dying unnecessarily through 2020 (in the US and other countries) but since the vaccination arrived and was distributed, any remaining excuse for a belligerent red state take on the matter evaporated.

I was actually furious today to see the likes of Asa Hutchison, Arkansas governor portrayed as some kind of good actor because he now regrets the ban on mask mandates his state passed. But Hutchinson encouraged it and signed it into law. Now they have run out of ICU beds (as has Mississippi etc.)

As for DeSantis- someone should have the moxie to throw negligent homicide in his face- you're going to stand there and ban mask mandates in schools, then you should face the consequences. DeSantis disingenuously talking about 'freedom' whilst imposing bans on school districts.

Meanwhile as noted above the US this week is now back running at 500 to 600 deaths a day with over 100,000 getting infected daily largely with Delta.

It has become a complete (and fatal) disgrace.

Last edited:
D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The WPT BestBet Scramble event in Jacksonville, Florida was scheduled for August the 27th and is now postponed indefinitely. The reason? Rising COVID-19 cases in the state of Florida have given the organizers the reason to call it off.

09c5203dda0dd71b25ccd85f55c9454e.png

WPT Jacksonville Stop Postponed Due to Rising COVID-19 Cases in Florida

So just to underline the Florida reality further, specific to the thread theme- this week under Governor DeSantis more Floridians were 'allowed' to be infected in one week that any week since the pandemic started. Hospitalizations are also at an all time high.

People are dying by the hundreds so DeSantis 'can own the liberals'. He is patently unfit for office and should be in jail.

Meanwhile- across the States deaths have now risen to over seven hundred a day with 112,00 a day being infected (the day is not yet done). Which to give some real world perspective is close to three times more people succumbing to Covid than any other country - even brazil where Bolsonaro has let the virus run rampant.

In most countries with serious Covid issues the average number of infections is between 20 and 30 thousand.

At some point the majority of Americans have to become cognizant of what is being perpetrated on home soil.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So just to underline the Florida reality further, specific to the thread theme- this week under Governor DeSantis more Floridians were 'allowed' to be infected in one week that any week since the pandemic started. Hospitalizations are also at an all time high.

People are dying by the hundreds so DeSantis 'can own the liberals'. He is patently unfit for office and should be in jail.

Meanwhile- across the States deaths have now risen to over seven hundred a day with 112,00 a day being infected (the day is not yet done). Which to give some real world perspective is close to three times more people succumbing to Covid than any other country - even Brazil where Bolsonaro has let the virus run rampant.

In most countries with serious Covid issues the average number of infections is between 20 and 30 thousand.

At some point the majority of Americans have to become cognizant of what is being perpetrated on home soil.
Being a Floridian myself I can tell you Governor DeSantis doesn't really care about the mess he is making in Florida. He doesn't plan to run again in florida. He is playing to the massive Trump voters in the other 49 states. He is preparing for his run for the presidency in 2024. And like I said being a Floridian I can tell you he is nothing but a big fn jerk.