What could artificial intelligence do to online poker?

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
As much as we love science, some of its downfalls might hurt not only the online poker industry, but many other aspects of the Human kind History and accomplishments as well. I hope some scientists can stand up and fight in order to preserve what makes us humans.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Too late. They already crush human opponents.

Only way to catch up and be competitive not only in games but in society as whole in the future is to integrate our brains with machine technology plus genetic manipulation.

Those that still want to be human would soon be as obsolete as the dodo.

You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

L

Luvulongtime99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Could? It's been happening for several years.

RasterGFX

RasterGFX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Morgan Stanley analysts believe the rise of AI online poker bots could hurt the industry.

What are your thoughts?

Was reading about the advancements in AI poker vs Real People. Here is a video I snagged from YouTube that shows how an AI beats actually Poker Pro's. I mean, it actually makes good calls/raises (basically is a really good bluffer with multiple Out's available). I'd like to take on an AI heads up and see how it plays. Hrmmm....

Good Luck all! :)

L

lontrus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since most of the comments are personal opinions about general AI, I'll add my two cents.

There's no need to fear AI if we fully develop human intelligence.

Sounds silly but there's a lot of unexplored territory in the human mind that only a few in history have exposed.

Right now people are getting dumber over time because we're just resting on the work of our machines as we occupy ourselves with endless distractions. It's nothing new, we've been doing this for a while but the human mind is a massively powerful and beautiful thing that can't be touched at its full potential. At the moment, due to the nature of the work structure in corporate society, all we have become are poorly functioning machines.

I'm quite aware in this field due to my work and we're only losing the intelligence war because we're glorifying machine power over our own while feeding it with our daily work as AI/ML engineers.

It's a strategy for morons - akin to standing on the railroad and moving forward when you see the light instead of to the side.

That's why I prefer to promote knowledge, education and development of the self in my spare time. Technology has a place, I just don't see how it could possibly be above us if we are to remain the dominant species on this planet.

Ultimately though, I do believe we'll be just fine. I spend a lot of time coaching the younger generation and communicating with them. They have far better heads on their shoulders than the people of my generation did at our age. When they take their place as the leaders of society eventually, we'll be just fine.

To answer the topic though: It might hit the bottom line of the companies but there will still be hordes of players trying to beat the odds. Tbh, there are so many ways to stop sophisticated bots that the companies just don't see because they don't understand the tech.

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
As long as there are money at the middle there will be good guys and also some bad ones. I just hope the good guys will be one step ahead, and the cameras will find the solutions to stop any kind of cheating attempt, whether it's bots or any other kind of artificial intelligence. :eek::)

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Artificial intelligence definitely harms online poker. A weak player will always lose to the robot and only a regular can determine the bot. Many regulars make good use of machine mistakes and know how to beat them. As they say, everything is relative.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
It is important for me that it is pokerstars that does not create bots. Further, PokerStars should be our guarantor that the game is fair and fought with bots and viruses.

Reh1980

Reh1980

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played against boots on fictional games when I started to learn poker, and they most often earned only they paid all bets when you really had a good hand that is was easy to play against them, the more if it happens will be a disaster in poker.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If top pros have a hard time beating bots, then I guess the poker game will then be played by who is a better poker programmer, bots vs bots. Unless something change with virtual reality and online poker starts simulating more live poker so that bots cant be used.

djasset

djasset

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is Military Grade AI - but they are holding off with the latest release...

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember a decade back when people used to say that there could never be an AI poker bot because poker involves bluffing. Times are changing fast.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It already has...The main reason why I'm not depositing any money into them. Rather build through freerolls and then go into a SnG or MTT.

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker bots have hurt online poker since the early days. Also , I play on global and I have yet to see not like play period . I won't play anywhere else. No HUDs either.

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There will always be legit sites, who don't allow or use bots . It's not the average poker player I worry about. It's the sites themselves getting greedy. A law should be written that a poker bot cannot be considered a prop player in tournament poker or cash games. Period.

R

Richard Grant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always thought it amazing that humans can even compete with computers that can process millions of chess moves a second.

Note well they are far less good when they have to move the pieces themselves, and even worse when you don't turn the power on.

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Artificial intelligence can boost cash returns for online poker. In this regard, at the moment I play only Freerolls :cool:

Fishmasterbaiter

Fishmasterbaiter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunate

Gosh, I hate the idea of AI bots. I've read so much on this, that the sites use them but they are not effective and also just the opposite. As far as I am concerned, I don't think it will help my odds out too much if I am trying to use strategery (haha) on a robot.

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The bots work. Especially if owned by the sites and they have access to info you dont. Imagine bots knowing what cards are coming!

Do you not think it's happening?
They bust you out of this tourney and they have a fresh new one with more rake ready to go full of bots on the next one.

Here is looking at you BetOnline.ag

weezy1312

weezy1312

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
i honestly think that online poker will grow these upcoming years slowly but in 10/15 years there will be the brutal downfall to it , as the industry will be infested by bots in a big way and poker rooms wont be able to even fight it , i am not an expert on the subject but lets say i am running a bot on my account i get caught and account is banned , i change just few details to unbalance more my bot and not hurt my winning rate that much ( it would take only few minutes i wont have to build a new bot ) and get it grinding on a friend or family member account and keep it going without mentionning the super bots that still dont get in the poker rooms radars... the evil geniuses are most of the time ( to not say always ) ahead of those defending. exemple the video games industry is worth billions and expanding every year and they are spending a huge chunk on security so that people pay for the game , the best they could do is a month or two before it gets cracked and people play it for free all over the world... games worth 75$ we get it for a dollar in africa.... ( for the lazy people that dont want to take the time and search for it ^^ )

V

Vida005

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am actually real disappointing to here that top poker sites like PokerStars allows or does nothing to stop bots. I mostly play online and have not noticed anything odd to call another player a bot. Can someone explain what I should be looking for to determine if I am playing against a bot?

Last edited:
Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
It is worrisome this situation of Artificial Intelligence in poker sites ... This is the most important reason why we must be studying more and preparing better ... It is clear that the Bots usually try to decipher our strategy through our game patterns ... for that reason we should not be predictable in our game ... we must be varying

Poker Tells