Twitch bans Daniel for breaking terms and conditions

G

GrannySmit77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they just allowed him back on. I don't thinks he's using the platform yet.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
watched him again the other day 'by accident'... by that I mean > I saw GGPoker was on Twitch with quite a few viewers. I thought "Maybe they are live streaming wsop?" And then I see it's Daniel "Big Pipes" Negreanu.
I'm surprised to see him on there (wtf??)
Right away he's talking about his trainer, his dietician, his this & his that. Really? Who cares?
Then he begins to talk about poker and tbh it was very very basic.
He then 3bets w AQo vs an EP open & then the ss in BB jams on him for 13bb's & he calls. BB shows A5o. Daniel laughs. River '5' and he just FLIPS out... like someone who plays 3 tourneys a week and thinks it's rigged when this happens. He picks up his computer chair and THROWS it against the wall. (I thought he was joking at first with the outburst, playing up his recent escapades on twitch... but he was dead serious). He'd also made jokes about how he hadn't broken TOS of twitch so far as he hadn't mentioned putting any teeth into any body cavities.
He's a jerk.

rrickir

rrickir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
he seems to have really turned into a jerk over the years,,, if he wasn't already one before. I don't know why but I've never been a big fan of Daniel.... so it kind of doesn't surprise me...is he taking steriods or anything i wonder,,, with all this anger..

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wasn't aware of anyone saying he has to act like a saint. But I think a goal might be do not get yourself banned from Twitch.

There were moments last year when he would lose it on camera at the WSOP, and they were largely understandable. This year a bad tempered undercurrent seemed to be running through his streams, with him swearing heavily and affecting a tough guy persona (a little ludicrous in a shrimp sized guy). Even Joey Ingram said he looks like he is constantly spoiling for a fight. There was already embarrassment before the WSOP kicked off with him making erroneous statements about the main event being held on GG Poker where he is an ambassador. He initially claimed it a freeze out and then had to walk that back completely.

I think what screwed up for him this year was these were live unedited streams away from the public. All his previous vlogs were edited and his behavior moderated (mostly) by being out in public where he cultivates a specific image. What became self-evident during this WSOP is Negreanu does not have the temperament of a Jamie Staples to live stream. His shtick is always a weird mix of braggadocio and snow flake. It was a disaster waiting to happen. It was already embarrassing enough when he lost it over technical difficulties - clips of which had gone viral already.

Its ironic because when Matusow blew up everyone said mental problems and he needed an intervention. I disagree. I simply think him a nasty guy - but lets face it he is playing bad boy not poker ambassador. However I do think someone needs to interject with Negreanu and pose to him maybe he is not cut out for live streaming.

His 'apology' today as Twitch has now banned him, was naturally sarcastic and insincere as he begrudges having to make one in the first place. His prerogative of course, but he seems unaware he keeps chipping away at his own image. He did not seem to honestly acknowledge or believe that his rant(s) were enough to get him banned - it's a odd level of denial.

He needs to decide what his image is - poker bad boy or poker ambassador. He has spent a career promoting the ambassador angle so the I personally think he needs to stick with that and understand if live, he really needs to moderate himself.

I don't fully agree with what you said. I'll start with Matusow - he does have mental issues, much of which attributed to his prior drug use, specifically meth. I read his book, Check Raising the Devil, and the drug use did do some damage to him, and as he's getting older, he's struggling with a world that he is unfamiliar with because the world in which he excelled no longer exists (pre BF when he was a huge Poker TV celebrity, and making deep runs in the Main Event).

All of that is gone now, and we're seeing a shadow of his former self.

As for Daniel, he doesn't care about Twitch, and he's never aspired to become the kind of streamer people like Jamie Staples are, because he's not focusing time on it. He said himself, he is streaming 1 hour a day, and that was enough for him.

Also, Daniel pointed out (on DAT Poker Podcast) that internet issues tilt him, and while his reaction was a bit over the top, it's understandable that he'd get upset, because he's trying to win a bracelet in fields where he has an edge over to make deep runs, which he has, but he's just losing in the BIG spots in the latter stages of tournaments (ie: Losing flips). As for his "apology", because he doesn't place any priority on streaming, I think he's fully aware of the image that he has. He's not trying to be Mr. Clean or anything, he's trying to be authentic and in selling poker, you HAVE to be. You can't be fake, and if he was to continue the "edited" image that we used to see before streaming, people would say he's fake. Remember, you only saw bits and pieces of him before, but the 24/7 Daniel was always there, we just didn't see it. Now we do, and it's up to you to determine how you perceive him.

I met him 5 years ago at a pokerstars event in Toronto, and got to talk to him for about 5 minutes (I'm the same age as him, also from Toronto, so there was a commonality there), and it was a great experience. He's not everything that you see on edited TV, he's just another guy trying to make his way in the world and enjoying life. If you are on Instagram, on my IG page, I have a picture posted with Daniel and I.

lol,,,,great job Daniel,,,now every idiot who wants to get a rise out of you will go right for the wife,,, :pcguru: stay tuned,,,

I don't think it's going to work, he's just simply going to ban those that do that.

Good morning.It´s bad news for GG poker that its main ambassador has this problem.But, I think he is not a good live streamer.What a difference with his previous WSOP vlogs!

I partially agree, as far as streaming goes, he's definitely not in the same league as people like Lex Veldhuis, Jamie Staples, Kevin Martin, people who have huge audiences, but he's not trying to be. He's only streaming an hour a day, providing a forum to interact with him. He's not trying to be a great streamer, he's just being himself.

Have not been a fan since he sold out and started saying crazy things like "more rake is better".

Proof that you don't know the entire story, you must be team Doug.

All makes for good publicity, especially at these times when it’s difficult to generate so much interest online. Perhaps he is taking the mantle of “Poker Brat” from Phil Hellmuth?

No, he won't take that from Phil. What you're seeing is Daniel "unedited". He's got his flaws, just like you and I do, but he's living in the (poker) public eye, where he's more scrutinized.

I think they just allowed him back on. I don't thinks he's using the platform yet.

I'm not sure, but whether he is or isn't allowed, it's going to make zero difference in his poker journey. He doesn't need Twitch to sell himself, he's established his brand long ago. He's not losing any sleep over Twitch. If anything, Twitch needs him more than he needs Twitch.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I met him 5 years ago at a PokerStars event in Toronto, and got to talk to him for about 5 minutes (I'm the same age as him, also from Toronto, so there was a commonality there), and it was a great experience. He's not everything that you see on edited TV, he's just another guy trying to make his way in the world and enjoying life. If you are on Instagram, on my IG page, I have a picture posted with Daniel and I.

. He's not trying to be a great streamer, he's just being himself.

I'm not sure, but whether he is or isn't allowed, it's going to make zero difference in his poker journey. He doesn't need Twitch to sell himself, he's established his brand long ago. He's not losing any sleep over Twitch. If anything, Twitch needs him more than he needs Twitch.

I too have met Daniel on a few occasions (on the first meeting I had him autograph a Fulltilt Poker hat for me, lol). I didn't like him even though I too am from Toronto & I too hung out in a Pool hall as a teenager for years.

So why does he stream on Twitch? I think he NEEDS it... I mean he came back on even after getting banned??? He needs it for his EGO. He needs to talk on & on about his trainer, his dietician, his this & his that. The guy discovers he can change from being a puney flabby pencilneck to becoming a scrawny sinewy pencilneck & now he's flexing his pea-shooters on twitch.
As far as professional poker players in the public spotlight go, Daniel is not one of my faves. I think it's good that he will attract more players to GGPoker but that's about it.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
AQ < A5o for 13bb's

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 1993.png
    ScreenHunter 1993.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 13
RimworldDoctor

RimworldDoctor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen people say worse and not get banned on Twitch, but it's not a good look. Ideally, it would be smart for him to appeal the ban and work to get a platform back.

Losing a revenue stream is just like burning money. Perhaps that's optimistic of me to think. If he gets that riled up over a random chatter, livestreaming probably isn't a good career path for him.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't fully agree with what you said....

As for Daniel, he doesn't care about Twitch, and he's never aspired to become the kind of streamer people like Jamie Staples are, because he's not focusing time on it. He said himself, he is streaming 1 hour a day, and that was enough for him.

Also, Daniel pointed out (on DAT Poker Podcast) that internet issues tilt him, and while his reaction was a bit over the top, it's understandable...

It's easier to sway an argument if actually informed.

Negreanu has been daily streaming live on You Tube and Facebook (as opposed to Twitter) all through his Mexican leg of the WSOP to play the GG tournaments. These streams have been multi hour affairs some extending to six hours so he patently (as Poker Orifice points out) is trying to develop a streaming audience, in no small part because he wants to sell shares and limit his personal exposure.

Additionally, you appear unaware of the fact that no sooner had he been banned from Twitter and issued his non-apology apology in public (I presume as he is such the bad ****) he immediately went back to twitter and asked them to reconsider. They did and ultimately he has been allowed to stream again as of last week.

The fact is Negreanu exposed through this series his petty, nasty side. He is in constant snowflake mode and takes endless offense at any and everything (its all very Trumpian, an irony lost on Negreanu). Whereas before his public profile was well edited.

As he's kept up the swearing and offended routines on You Tube etc for the duration I am increasingly fine with it. The fact is he has blown up his own myth and settled for this weird frequently combative character which is truer to his real self than anything previously.

Due to the times we live in I can see this new persona will have an appeal to many people so its hardly like this makes any difference in the bigger scheme of things. I just enjoy the fact the supposed ambassador of poker has now revealed himself as perpetually uptight and ready to freak out 24/7.

Sorry I never labored under the impression Matusow was a rounded individual. He has spent the last several years spewing little but far right talking point and conspiracy. However all in a lucid manner. He is playing the WSOP and has his vlog and private games. I'm not sure shadow of his former self and a world passing him by is apt description.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Additionally, you appear unaware of the fact that no sooner had he been banned from Twitter and issued his non-apology apology in public (I presume as he is such the bad ****) he immediately went back to twitter and asked them to reconsider. They did and ultimately he has been allowed to stream again as of last week.

Thanks for sharing this information. From a financial point of view it also made no sense for either party to maintain this ban. But I hope, he had to promise them to never do something similar again, as it sets a really bad example for online behaviour. I am also guessing, GG Poker was not so happy about the insidence, since presumably part of the whole deal with being a "poker ambassador" is, that you must promote the poker site, and one of the main ways, this is being done today, is via streaming. So its a bit like being a professional driver and losing your drivers license due to a traffic violation.

Daniel going to mexico to play all these online WSOP events was almost certainly not only about him wanting to play, but also a part of his deal with GG Poker. And I dont think, someone with a financial situation like DNEG really need to sell shares in 5.000$ tournaments. This is also part of the whole marketing scheme. If people log on to GGPoker to buy a share of DNEGs next tournament, they might also end up playing some games and paying some rake themselfes ;)

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thanks for sharing this information. From a financial point of view it also made no sense for either party to maintain this ban. But I hope, he had to promise them to never do something similar again, as it sets a really bad example for online behaviour. I am also guessing, GG Poker was not so happy about the insidence, since presumably part of the whole deal with being a "poker ambassador" is, that you must promote the poker site, and one of the main ways, this is being done today, is via streaming. So its a bit like being a professional driver and losing your drivers license due to a traffic violation.

Daniel going to Mexico to play all these online WSOP events was almost certainly not only about him wanting to play, but also a part of his deal with GG Poker. And I dont think, someone with a financial situation like DNEG really need to sell shares in 5.000$ tournaments. This is also part of the whole marketing scheme. If people log on to GGPoker to buy a share of DNEGs next tournament, they might also end up playing some games and paying some rake themselfes ;)

Fully agree fundiver199 - it was in no-ones interest to have this ongoing ban, not Negreanu's or GG Poker and not for Twitch either (sorry I inadvertently wrote Twitter before instead of Twitch, I am sure all understood). Negreanu is a draw and the fact that he has revealed a darker side to himself will not be a turn off for many. He just needs to set boundaries, or as I said way before wrestle with the fact he may not be best suited for streaming.

However like all his vlogs I presume this streaming will be limited to a WSOP season. He has stated he is not really inclined to fly off for a few days here and there just to stream for GG especially after Covid 19 interrupted daily life.

Sort of agree that Negreanu selling shares on GG is not necessary - it does appear to be seamless and instant with GGs software and it is good he promotes it (well it is an integral part of their operation), But, I have a feeling that Negreanu like Helmuth actually like to spread the risk. A lot of top pros can act blase about the losses through the WSOP - buy ins not being covered by cashes-but I think most r prefer to mitigate the outlay!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
...and just to sort of tail end this thread. I'll admit I have seen people mix Twitter and Twitch in the past and thought it was fairly dumb...and now I have done it three times myself.