So why did a new poker startup sign Bryn Kenney?

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Amid all the recent negative news surrounding Bryn Kenney and cheating, the poker startup 4Poker signed Bryn Kenney as an endorser. Why? you might ask. Well, CardsChat contributer Chris Wallace gives his thoughts on why Bryn was signed.

Read all about it here >>> Why Did 4Poker Sign Bryn Kenney?

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Spot on assessment I would say. One sees all the time examples of hustlers scamming fools, looks like in this case the hustlers are the fools. Here's wishing them all the success there hubris & cynicism deserves.

EnzoRS94

EnzoRS94

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
He's actually a co-founder I guess, but I don't think it'll go far tho.
Firstly his reputation (Cheating), I mean online poker with all the scandals over the years, you think that people will rush to play there and I will not even mention the competition..

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's an interesting development...accept for the fact I believe Kenney and the possibility of a new site has rumbled for a while, so this is just a confirmation of sorts.

First things first.

Kenney is not driving in the same lane as most of us - I think this plays a large role in how figures like him are successful. He has a massive silly ego. Everyone forgotten how a short time ago he talked of himself becoming the first poker billionaire through winnings? Then there were some other yawner interviews where he claimed he was going to change the world, never quite specifying how or why other than laughably vague ideas about altruism (same disease which afflicts a few high rollers)....he was going to transcend poker.

However, he evidently does have a hold of sorts over people (his stables and his agency at GG Poker) so I am not surprised he might come off a potentially irresistible force ...especially if he is providing some of the start up/ working capital. Further, regarding funding, Cary Katz (PokerGO) is reportedly Kenney's long time backer. Katz is a billionaire - so I think one thing to bear in mind with Kenney is there is the possibility of a few grasping individuals involved in 'Thing's Kenney'.

Regarding Kenney's reputation and it being ruined, I am not so sure, so I think this is where the Chris Wallace article is a little naive. I know where I stand on cheaters in poker (that I have made clear) but what I have been insulted with of late is how they have literally been rehabilitated. The accusations flew and yet Kenney was given the fluff job 'explanation' interview at poker news with Sarah Herring. Then Kenney played in the wsop and Poker News featured him in news updates....as they did last week when Kenney final tabled a GG event. Speaking of which there was a confirmed rift with GG Poker (confirmed by GG Poker) yet he is still playing there. At the same time Cary Katz had him play in High Stakes Poker on PokerGo. Is there any downside to Kenney's life in the US at the moment but an unconfirmed barring from the EPT and Triton (which for valid reasons can't even stage events in the US).

Kenney (and Schindler and Imsirovic) seem to be swanning around in the US without repercussions and believe the more people see him/them then they will just start shrugging their shoulders. That is also why I made note of the laughable idea of The Poker Integrity Council extending an olive branch to previously banned players. Talking of the council, this week Daniel Negreanu said it should be a clean slate going forward (exactly as I predicted). Some think I am being too harsh but my attitude is if the industry is not going to crack down on what has just recently taken place, then why bother?

So, I would think if Kenney and others can maintain a high profile (which they have through the accusations), no doubt many would try a new site, regardless of his reputation. That has nothing to with whether it would be a viable proposition or not. I never thought it a good idea for Phil Galfond to start a site and personally, I would not be looking to start a site with Kenney as a figurehead. Then, as others have asked, a poker site in what jurisdiction? International? Because it surely won't be in the States.

So, I am just going sit sit back and see what develops. But...if it does get off the ground I am not too sure many in the poker community would avoid it to make some sort of statement.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't be surprised if Kenney was one of the few people willing to provide seed money for them too. Entering a crowded market like online poker probably doesn't appeal to traditional VC, so they might have needed him for startup capital. It will be interesting to see how they structure their rake back, if it targets high ABI players versus recs.

Maximus1980340

Maximus1980340

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
yes, this contract is to get people to us and here I will be a good patriot

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I never thought it a good idea for Phil Galfond to start a site and personally, I would not be looking to start a site with Kenney as a figurehead. Then, as others have asked, a poker site in what jurisdiction? International? Because it surely won't be in the States.

So, I am just going sit sit back and see what develops. But...if it does get off the ground I am not too sure many in the poker community would avoid it to make some sort of statement.
And what a huge difference... Phil Galfond has a fantastic reputation - - honest, great guy! Bryn the exact opposite.
Personally I think many will avoid the site. Unless they offer some High Stakes action, low rake with a known bunch of whales. Maybe Donald Trump should start up a site? "What's Trump?"

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
When these guys get involved with poker start-ups then the US government will have a bloody good reason not to legalize poker in the States.