C

ChipTowerz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Riess Tha Beast!!!

i watched it, he played very well!
great laydowns, great reads, he deserved it!

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man I went to sleep before the end :( And by the way, he lied, because I'm the best in the world :)

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I was probably the only one or one of 2 people who said Riess would win, everyone else was on the Tranwagon, Im pretty much right always about anything to do with Michigan, whether it be the Lions or people from Michigan, Riess the beast and also the best poker player on the earth!

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I won 10 Main Events in a row I probably wouldn't say I'm the best in the world. It's poker, not pro wrestling. Luck plays a huge role over one instance of an annual tournament. He could get eliminated by the biggest fish at the table next year.

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I won 10 Main Events in a row I probably wouldn't say I'm the best in the world. It's poker, not pro wrestling. Luck plays a huge role over one instance of an annual tournament. He could get eliminated by the biggest fish at the table next year.

Don't want to be "that guy" but that's why he's there and your not

GOTHEART

GOTHEART

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He out-played Farber, but Riess had all the luck. Hell of a time for Farber to be so card-dead and miss all his draws.

It takes talent, good cards, catching your draws, and winning those "flips" to get to the final table and especially to win it all!

I thought Riess should never have "guaranteed" his win prior to the final table. Declaring he was the best player at the final table! I excused him because of his young age....

However, his comment that he is the best player in the world is just plain inexcusable!

Humility is not his forte! Apparently vanity is!

Let's see what he does in the future.....

Dalsue214

Dalsue214

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congratulations to Riess. I was going for Farber, though. Farber was a contributing member on 2+2 and started where a lot of us were not too long ago. But 5M is a great win!

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's easy to define good and bad players, but the best player is a constantly moving target and IMO not hittable, and it's entirely possible that Riess would have gotten his own head handed to him on a platter if say Phil Ivey was sitting on the other side of the table. Saying that he's the best in the world is just 100% ego-driven and won't help him any. There's nothing more the world loves to do than devour a massive ego.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Changed thread title - but seriously if I really didn't want to know the last place I would visit is a poker forum. :p

As a matter of fact I wouldn't get out of bed or do anything at all until I could watch it lol.

I have deleted 2 other threads today (because we only need 1) and both of those had his name in the title too.

I heard it within a few minutes of turning on my tv this morning (and it was not on a sports channel), it is all over Twitter, facebook and most poker related sites including forums. (with his name in the title - just google his name and look at the 1st few pages).

lol normally I would agree with you but I had stuff to check on here so it wasn't really an option but its all good I should feel lucky that I made it through the last three years without having it spoiled.

Jair83

Jair83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ryan reiss, Greeting to Good great player worthy of admiration with this great victory

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry - new thread title tilts me every time I see it - changing it back. Pretty sure most people who really don't want to know breaking poker news will avoid poker forums. :)

T

TexasBoy13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He is a good poker player no doubt, but saying you are the best in the WORLD n if it wasn't for luck he'd win everytime, is just going overboard....

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Riess is an ass -- multiple stories about him berating people and such. Saying "I'm the best poker player in the world..." cmon man -- he is exactly the guy we do not want representing poker.

I mean we say it again and again here arrogance makes you never get any better -- one needs to always stay humble -- always keep learning. Riess is doing the opposite and congrats to his win he certainly is a great poker player -- but please if you are the best you don't need to say it yourself. Look at Ivey.

curtinsea

curtinsea

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Confidence is everything in poker. Every poker player who plays thinks they are the best at the table. If they didn't they would have already lost. He made the statement now he has to back it up

^^ This

I've yet to meet a poker player who doesn't think he is the best in the world lol

btw, I didn't actually hear the quote, but as I've seen it in print he said "I just think . . . " which in context is just him expressing ultimate confidence, a requirement playing at that level.

B

bigd777

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how about ryan reiss

the youngsta takin care of biz seems like past decade or so the younger players just have the advantage. Glad im only 26 maybe I still have a chance ;)

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the youngsta takin care of biz seems like past decade or so the younger players just have the advantage. Glad im only 26 maybe I still have a chance ;)

I was talking to a fellow middle-ager about the youth advantage, and we think part of it is that youth are relatively time-rich, and tend to learn new things faster. There is also probably a stamina advantage.

On the other hand, there is plenty of opportunity for all ages, and there are some repeat winners in the wsop circuit events who are over 50.

But yeah, there is apparently an advantage to youth in multi-day tournament grinds.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely have to give him credit. When I first heard those "I'm the best player at the table", and "I'm going to win" comments, it struck me as a little arrogant. Of course, as final table play went on, I began to think that maybe it wasn't arrogance, but confidence. Maybe it just seems smug to say something like that out loud, but isn't that the type of thing he should have been saying to himself every day in the months leading up to the final table? It all starts with the belief that you belong there at that table, that you deserve to be there and have what it takes to win it all.

Still, that's a pretty bold statement to make with a microphone pinned on you. After saying something like that, you can't fall even a little bit short. You would never live it down. I supposed that's why it seems like such an amazing statement to make. Not nearly as amazing as making that statement, and then backing it up. Way to show and prove, Ryan.

Reiss the beast...
Reiss the beast...
Reiss the beast...
Reiss the beast...

T

turtelliusshellius

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was hoping JC Tran would finally win the ME, but I made money since I laid a 10-1 wager on Reiss and a 6-1 on Tran, both to win. So I made $10 for a $2 wager. Reiss was definitely the most confident at the table and he picked his spots very well. I honestly thought in that heads up bluff Reiss was going to make the hero call against the huge river bet. That would have been a more epic proof of his ability. Regardless, I'm glad he won and I agree, age does matter. The younger someone is, the quicker their synapses, which means that in a game dominated by thought two players of the same caliber but 20 years apart aren't technically the same caliber.

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe it just seems smug to say something like that out loud, but isn't that the type of thing he should have been saying to himself every day in the months leading up to the final table? It all starts with the belief that you belong there at that table, that you deserve to be there and have what it takes to win it all.

If I were a pro I might have been annoyed, but as a relative n00b I took his comments as an example of what hard work and a winning mindset can do.

Next time I manage to run deep in a tourney, I'll be telling myself I'm the best in the world...even if it's a bluff. :)

P

pkrkidd12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ryan riese is a beast..... he reminds me of me no joke watching him really reminded me of me

T-Dubs82

T-Dubs82

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i have no rhyme or reason for it, but i like this year's winner more than those of year's past. maybe its because my dislike of Farber is so strong

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty hard to argue with Reiss, the way he played the final table. I remember a few years back Jamie Gold ran over the final table, but later found out that he was not as good a player as he thought he was. Time will tell with Reiss.

S

Sause00

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I watched this on Sunday. I could not believe Faber was smiling when he had a hand at the end. Riess's Hero bet nearly toppled himself...

WSOP