antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Hellmuth is the best poker player in the world , haters will only do what they know to do , just hate . Hellmuth is the best , either some like it or not .

C

CliffieDeuce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His bracelets prove it, I guess.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Doyle's figures seem a little off.

From the wsop website - Helmuth has cashed 135 times at the WSOP and then another thirty times between online, WSOP Europe and other circuit events. If WSOP bracelets are the ultimate metric for some - so be it. Not necessarily for me.

It's the tourneys entered where Doyle seems to be a little off- 'so he has probably entered 200 tournaments"

Helmuth first cashes in 1988 and then won in 1989. That's at least 32 years of playing the WSOP - which means by Doyle's estimate he has only entered 6.25 WSOP tournaments a year.

That said, Brunson is a bit of a wag, and as I noted regarding the back and forth over his comments regarding heads up ( I still like the old way of playing poker...#cutthe cheatsheets) - I think his sense of humor can be a little trollish at times.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many reasons that I think he is one of the better players at the game. First, the results he has had goes beyond the WSOP. His bracelets are pretty impressive, especially as they include the Main Event. His amount of final tables is also pretty impressive. Then there is the fact that he has an impressive run with the World Poker Tour. He has won at the National Heads Up Championship. He has won at an EPT event. He knows multiple styles of poker in a way that is a threat whenever he sits down.

Now, he is the Brat, there is no mistaking that. At the same time, he is actually a really nice guy off the felt and can be such while playing. He may have changed, but I have had a conversation with him in the 90s and enjoyed it. It was just a bunch of folks eating somewhere before a tournament and someone who knew him called him over. He has become an ambassador to our beloved game and people love him.

So, while I personally would never say he is better than Doyle Brunson, I would say he is better than a long list of folks who are nowhere near the personality he is. There are even people who want to get him going off on them, just because he is legendary in that.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without a doubt he is a great player and despite not being among my "favorites" I like his eccentricity

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Best in the world at this time? Maybe, maybe not. Greatest WSOP NLHE tournament player, probably. If the WSOP results are the standard then Doyle is assuming that all the best players play the WSOP. Not sure that is still the case.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best in the world at this time? Maybe, maybe not. Greatest WSOP NLHE tournament player, probably. If the WSOP results are the standard then Doyle is assuming that all the best players play the WSOP. Not sure that is still the case.

Mike Sexton was an amazing player and recognized as such by players worldwide. He spent the time period of many WSOP events coaching kids in sports. Brunson knows this and I know the two had a good relationship of respect on and off the felt.

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tourneys yes
cash games...definitely not

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He's the best NL Hold'em tournament player for sure. Not sure he has that tag in other games instead of NL Holdem or in cash games. So is he the best over all player? I don't think so. Who is? I have no idea... :)

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is very close

For the most part I do agree with Doyle brunson that Phil helmuth is the greatest no limit Holden player. But close on his heels is Phil Ivey who is no slouch at winning no limit hold them tournaments he has a very outstanding record and no limit hold them as well. it's very hard to put one person clearly above everyone else I think hellmuth deserves to be on top but there's a lot of people there just as good and as talented as he is if not better than Phil hellmuth so it's close I give the edge slightly to Phil hellmuth but not by a lot.

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
perhaps he is one of the best, but who is the best should be determined by real experts.

R

Ron112355

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Doyle Brunson stated in a tweet yesterday, "I just saw Phil Helmuth has cashed 154 times at the WSOP so he has probably entered 200 tournaments. He is the best NLH tournament player in the world, in my opinion."

So, is Doyle Brunson right? What do you think?

Doyle Brunson Says Phil Hellmuth is the Greatest No-Limit Hold’em Player in the World

If you’re just counting bracelets he is tops but he isn’t even top 20 all time money earned
https://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/ranking/all-time-money-list/

Attachments

• 18F63B61-10FE-421D-8EFA-5F9BE8CBACE0.jpg
    18F63B61-10FE-421D-8EFA-5F9BE8CBACE0.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 84
S

Shay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welllll he is famous and has a lot of good plays on youtube

A

alietc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What I like the most about Phil Hellmuth is that he consider worst case scenario every time, he is a great player, and I like watching him when tony g abuse him, haha

MTCashman

MTCashman

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phil is definitely one of the best, he's been consistently thriving in the poker community for 30+ years, having Doyle say that is quite the endorsement!

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No matter how emotional Phil Hellmuth was, but the fact that he is a strong player is undeniable.

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
agree Phil is the best, his bracelets proves it

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I totally agree . He has a non non sens approch to playing tournament. Unlike Ivey or Neagranu who in my opinion, one like to make insane bluffs and the other like to impress by his reading abilities. Dont get me wrong, both Ivey and Neagranu are excellent players but my money will always be on helmuth

carmenzu

carmenzu

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do like Phil, I consider him a great player, his career is very long, and of course the awards of 10 years ago are minimal compared to the awards today. That is why he does not appear as the highest money winner on the "All Time Money" list.
If Doyle Brunson admits it, why don't we?

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
He was the best once upon a time, but now other very good and very talented young guys came from behind.