Nick Marchington defends his actions following accusations of scamming investors

nikolaevich87

nikolaevich87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Unpleasant story! it’s very strange if they bought him a tournament, and he sold it! then there must be contracts, I hope the court will establish justice!

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Unpleasant story! it’s very strange if they bought him a tournament, and he sold it! then there must be contracts, I hope the court will establish justice!

Hopefully, this will be resolved. I don't think we have all the details but we do get the idea of what may have happened.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He did cancel before the Main started, and the other party didn't object to the cancellation. Just because they didn't find someone before the start of the event, then it doesn't mean their action is in play.

I bet that if he wouldn't have cashed the Main, then they would have gladly accepted their money.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Details in this story is the key. If he cancelled before the ME started and they didn’t accepted that, its no fault to Nick. If he cancelled after the ME started, it’s obviously wrong. If he cancelled before but they didn’t accept, I’m not sure what to make of it. I just wish people just played with their own money and these stories wouldn’t come out every year.

H

HeyMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The outcome will be interesting since he did cancel without objection before the main started.

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems a bit scummy but also standard for the poker community

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hopefully, this will be resolved. I don't think we have all the details but we do get the idea of what may have happened.

One of the biggest issues with all of us having an opinion, (I understand that gossip makes the world turn). We all make up our minds without having all of the details, I have heard people make very convincing arguments on both sides of this story. I will just say, it seems as if both sides acknowledged a refund for the Main event piece. Then the kid resold a piece for a better price. My opinion , it seems like it is not a good thing, if you are trying to build a reputation as a trustworthy player. On the other hand, I am not sure if it violates a legal agreement which was not done on a paper contract, but through text messaging??? Not sure how a court will rule.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Is there a link to this, or the cliff notes?

This is in the latter part of the article --

Despite Marchington’s defense, some poker players felt his actions were inexcusable. That includes Daniel Negreanu, who certainly knows a thing or two about the poker staking business and was highly critical of Marchington.
Phil Galfond, also an expert on this topic, disagreed with Negreanu’s point of view. He defended Marchington’s actions, saying, “if they took the refund action is clearly off.”
“If Nick didn’t cash, would they have, for some bizarre reason, re-funded him?” Galfond asked.
But it isn’t up to Galfond, Negreanu, or any other poker player to determine the legality of this case. That will be up to the Clark County, Nevada court system.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
One of the biggest issues with all of us having an opinion, (I understand that gossip makes the world turn). We all make up our minds without having all of the details, I have heard people make very convincing arguments on both sides of this story. I will just say, it seems as if both sides acknowledged a refund for the Main event piece. Then the kid resold a piece for a better price. My opinion , it seems like it is not a good thing, if you are trying to build a reputation as a trustworthy player. On the other hand, I am not sure if it violates a legal agreement which was not done on a paper contract, but through text messaging??? Not sure how a court will rule.

Hopefully, we will get an update on this issue, especially now that the seed has been planted.

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Colin Hartley and David Yee, owners of a poker staking business, allege in a lawsuit they invested in Marchington’s $5,000 6-max tournament and the Main Event together."

If that's true, then the contract he signed would clear this matter rather quickly.
Poker staking businesses don't do handshakes and honesty, legal paperwork was involved.
Depending on the phrasing, only a court will be able to really clear what happens.
Guess we will have to wait and see.
BTW how did he do in the $5k 6-max?

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
"Colin Hartley and David Yee, owners of a poker staking business, allege in a lawsuit they invested in Marchington’s $5,000 6-max tournament and the Main Event together."

If that's true, then the contract he signed would clear this matter rather quickly.
Poker staking businesses don't do handshakes and honesty, legal paperwork was involved.
Depending on the phrasing, only a court will be able to really clear what happens.
Guess we will have to wait and see.
BTW how did he do in the $5k 6-max?

Here are his cashes for the 2019 wsop

http://www.wsop.com/players/profile/?playerID=271824

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless he got the cancellation in writing and a receipt, before the buy-in for ME, he's paying.
Backers could claim breach of contract, that the stake was used in the buy-in per agreement, and he intentionally sought to breach after buy-in of the tournament.