Nick Marchington 2019 WSOP winnings and the lawsuit update

L

LotharMcDowner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From my understanding he backed out of the deal and took a better one, BEFORE he started playing. The backers were fine with it until he ran deep, only then did they try to leverage a few $$ outta him. Colin Hartley and David Yee are going to lose this case, and even if they win, no reasonable player will take their backing in the future. Lose/lose for them over $150k... bad business.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm glad to see that a ruling has been made on this. I was wondering how it would turn out, but I thought that it would be in his favor.

HobokenNJ

HobokenNJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Last edited:
KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From my understanding he backed out of the deal and took a better one, BEFORE he started playing. The backers were fine with it until he ran deep, only then did they try to leverage a few $$ outta him. Colin Hartley and David Yee are going to lose this case, and even if they win, no reasonable player will take their backing in the future. Lose/lose for them over $150k... bad business.

backing out of a closed deal cause you got a better offer feels scummy to me.

A deal is a deal, and a real man should honor that.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
backing out of a closed deal cause you got a better offer feels scummy to me.

A deal is a deal, and a real man should honor that.

I would generally agree with this.

Really it is for the player's sake that he honors contracts because in the future who would feel secure in investing in his action if he could just cancel the deal. Or begin to cancel the deal before the tournament and then "decide" if he wants to follow through with the original deal or not.

To be fair - I don't know what the details are and they will come out eventually.

Still - even if he is in the legal right - it looks bad from a business perspective.

I did not know that the Rio will withhold winnings if they are in dispute....interesting.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I do not think either party looked good in this.

Marchington appeared a flake, yet the backers had apparently signed off on the 'deal'. The problem as I understand it is they could not collect their 'refund' before the main event started (literally could not get organized to pick up the funds in LV) so therefore decided they could pursue the winnings.

That said Marchingtons Tweet/statement about them deliberately undermining his win/placement was painful-he got exposed for reneging on a deal when he had been (carefully) constructing an innocent/underdog image for himself at the main event. I was enamored of him for a while but once this bubbled up, he left a bad taste.

WSOP