Now LIVE! - Fedor Holz vs Wiktor Malinowski

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I am really looking forward to this and hope we get some regular updates for it! :)

Thanks, Rob!

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The challenge will be streamed on YouTube @GGPokerTV and is now live!

It should be even more entertaining with Joey Ingram at the mic!

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The game was friendly. I can't say how many liters of water Fedor Holz drank and how many cigars Wiktor Malinowski smoked. But their number was unreal.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Very enjoyable, in no small part down to the much improved format compared to the Polk/Negreanu match.

Hole cards should be default mode for these tournaments - watching the odd bluff made successfully is a delight. Cards down is okay but can never be as engaging.

The video feeds of both players was a great addition also, they played in a nice spirit.

The final improvement - Joey Ingram as solo commentator. I could not stand the partisan commentary set ups for the Polk/Negreanu match -in particular Brent Hanks and Jeff Platt who were ridiculous. Joey enthused about both of them and got genuinely excited when either played a hand well.

Great job all round.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I agree DS! There were so many good things about this, in my opinion (I was listening quite a bit more than watching). Who doesn't love Joey's enthusiasm?! I'm not sure if Wiktor was falling asleep or trying to give that very image (given how much wine he may have been drinking) but he certainly did make things interesting.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I agree DS! There were so many good things about this, in my opinion (I was listening quite a bit more than watching). Who doesn't love Joey's enthusiasm?! I'm not sure if Wiktor was falling asleep or trying to give that very image (given how much wine he may have been drinking) but he certainly did make things interesting.
Thank you so much for recommending this, Shelley. <3
It was fun to watch and fun to play the freerolls beside. I hope, I will be able to watch the next as well. I am still wondering if it was wine or not. Maybe it was some grape juice. :p
Although, he looked tired in between.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looks like Fedor got a 27K win for the first round. This was fun to watch. Thought limitless would talk more since this was supposed to be easy for him :)

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is very interesting.

Thanks. :)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Really enjoyed the 1st match and cant wait for the next one. Nothing better than working from home and having this up. :)

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The session is on now, folks! (currently doing a recap) on GGPokerTV @ YouTube. :)

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
So apart from now playing two tables against each other, Holz and Malinowski were both simultaneously playing the second day of a $10,000 tourney. Fedor actually opening up Viktor’s table so he could keep tabs on his progress there as well.

Additionally, Malinowski was also playing in a 100K tourney. Holy Toledo.

Engrossing play.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Doug Polk thinks it is staged or something
because some plays are very sketchy / bad
Ok Doug always likes a good controversy
but hes also a HU expert and sees little weird things instantly
and you never know :)
we cant trust the (fake news) media
and everything in TV is staged and rehearsed nowadays
even innocent looking "spontaneous" interviews of people
there are even fakumentaries nowadays
can we trust the Ggpoker marketing?
:)

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Doug Polk thinks it is staged or something
because some plays are very sketchy / bad
Ok Doug always likes a good controversy
but hes also a HU expert and sees little weird things instantly
and you never know :)
we cant trust the (fake news) media
and everything in TV is staged and rehearsed nowadays
even innocent looking "spontaneous" interviews of people
there are even fakumentaries nowadays
can we trust the Ggpoker marketing?
:)

My 2 cents....Concocted interviews and staging will ALWAYS be in question to some people and sometimes people will simply look at it as entertainment. If I am not entertained, I don't watch. Marketing is marketing...that's how they get more people to watch. Just like catch lines to a news article, of the title of a book, previews to a movie, etc.

Doug may have a point and he is definitely entitled to it. He will know far more than the average person about HU battles but then who's to say he doesn't create these points of view to get more traction for himself?! If in fact, they are all multi-tabling, who are we to judge? In my opinion, take it for what it is.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think Doug Polk made a sensationalist comment for the sake of it - I like Polk but let's face it he is Mr. Click Bait. Anyone could see there were differences between the first two sessions and I pointed out why - that alone throws the 'staged' idea into question.

The second session, Holz and Malinwski were both caught up in playing the second day of a 10K buy in and Malinowski was also playing a 100K. Due to their concentration going in different directions, banter was limited and Malinowski was not drinking wine (something he likes to do regularly). The atmosphere was more subdued and they seldom got into all-ins- the play more conservative.

I will guess other sessions will be more chatty and 'aggressive' in terms of play if you will. However, the two distinctly different sessions do not indicate it being staged.

Joey Ingram mentioned Polks comments to Holz afterwards. Holz laughed it off and asked why would they bother to get involved in staging a contest? What benefit to either player when they already play for millions? Further, Holz logically asked if it was staged why not 'up the ante' and have them playing for massive stakes for the spectacle of it? If they were not playing with their own money (but GGs as Polk seemed to imply) why not have them playing for million dollar swings every session?

I also have the sense that Polk has a couple of other issues here with the spotlight moving on and the level of play we are watching. To me, this match is more engrossing and its not just because of the presentation. I feel this is and will be a more sophisticated contest than the Polk/Negreanu one.

If Polk anticipates this maybe he just wants to undermine it a little?

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The third session was embarrassing.

Malinowski seemed distracted and folded the best hand repeatedly against obvious bluffs. Joey iNgram was making excuses for him saying you cannot judge a player from one session...but he has now lost three in a row.

Fair enough, maybe you cannot judge this quickly, however it does make you wonder how some of these guys ever got to the level they play for millions on any given day. Yeah the majority might be supremely gifted but a minority strike me as getting there via happenstance, a sort of weird aligning of the planets.

That did not approximate top tier poker yesterday...so I really hope Viktor starts getting his act together otherwise there will be a growing question mark (he got savaged in the chat for instance) about his real capability.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The third session was embarrassing.

Malinowski seemed distracted and folded the best hand repeatedly against obvious bluffs. Joey iNgram was making excuses for him saying you cannot judge a player from one session...but he has now lost three in a row.

Fair enough, maybe you cannot judge this quickly, however it does make you wonder how some of these guys ever got to the level they play for millions on any given day. Yeah the majority might be supremely gifted but a minority strike me as getting there via happenstance, a sort of weird aligning of the planets.

That did not approximate top tier poker yesterday...so I really hope Viktor starts getting his act together otherwise there will be a growing question mark (he got savaged in the chat for instance) about his real capability.

I didn't get to watch any of this one but here is my opinion after what you have stated.

They both need to show they are invested in this challenge if they are going to stream. Otherwise, why would any poker fans be interested in watching them?! I know I would lose interest in what would or should be a good battle ...after all, are they doing this only for themselves? or is this to engage poker fans? I'm disappointed if this is the way the rest of the challenge will proceed. So, here's hoping they get their act together and actually make this a challenge.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I didn't get to watch any of this one but here is my opinion after what you have stated.

They both need to show they are invested in this challenge if they are going to stream. Otherwise, why would any poker fans be interested in watching them?! I know I would lose interest in what would or should be a good battle ...after all, are they doing this only for themselves? or is this to engage poker fans? I'm disappointed if this is the way the rest of the challenge will proceed. So, here's hoping they get their act together and actually make this a challenge.

Thanks for the reply Shells, I agree. It's an odd series, consisting of four sessions only - I did not realize this at first and presume many did not also.

Holz and Walinowski were applied the first session and then distracted the second - I forgave them because they were playing the second day of other tournaments. The third day was hopeless (if you have not heard Holz started calling him 'Foldinowski') with the fourth session I believe will be played this weekend.

Yeah, I believe if sites such as GG are going to promote such challenges they need a level of commitment otherwise people will lose interest. At the tail end of the pandemic, the heads up online duels have become a great way to promote poker if the challenge/stream is quality.

After investing over 15 hours to watch it already (as others) I'll watch the final session as I can't imagine there will be any reason to extend the series. Well have to see but I think there will be good and bad to take away form this promotion.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
So, final session in and it was better than the last session. Malinowski seemed focused, ran well and won 60k back to only lose 90K in total to Holz over the four games.

If I give it a C as a duel then I will still give it an A in terms of production. Cards up, players with video/sound feed and one neutral and enthused commentator is definitely the way to handle these duels in the future.

Organize a Home Poker Game