Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's Always About Mike

Mike Matusow entered the $1,000 online WSOP event and was quickly felted when he ran A-Q into pocket aces on his second hand. That made for a short stream, but his viewers certainly got their money’s worth, although some may have been offended by the content.

Mike Matusow Melts Down Over Supposed Slow Roll, Allen ‘Acnyc718’ Chang Wins Bracelet

So it can never be an accident?

It can never be a slow internet connection? Yeah, that never happens.

Opponent is multi-tabling?

I have looked away from the computer screen before when I have the nuts. Just to see that my opponent has shoved on me 15 seconds ago. LOL

Of course Mike does have a hilarious history of losing his composure when he has been slow-rolled.

So, he is always looking for it. Always looking for the insult.

Everybody is always out to get him! Tough place to live.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
So it can never be an accident?

It can never be a slow internet connection? Yeah, that never happens.

Opponent is multi-tabling?

I have looked away from the computer screen before when I have the nuts. Just to see that my opponent has shoved on me 15 seconds ago. LOL

Of course Mike does have a hilarious history of losing his composure when he has been slow-rolled.

So, he is always looking for it. Always looking for the insult.

Everybody is always out to get him! Tough place to live.

My thought was exactly that, Mike. I figured the internet connection may have been slow or any number of things when poker is played online.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Norman Chad is famous for saying "New Mike.....SAME as the OLD Mike".

I watched the meltdown (3 part video on Twitter), and something's going on with him. He's always been bitter, thinking that the world is against him, and I think that has fueled his motivation to be a relevant tournament player, and there's no denying he's had success. There's also no denying that he's entertained us over the years, but now he just seems to becoming more bitter as he's getting older.

Everything that was said (maybe slow internet connection, person is a multi-tabler) is a possibility. Also, here's her tweet too that contests that she wasn't slowrolling him.

Attachments

• PHippie.JPG
    PHippie.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 44
Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Norman Chad is famous for saying "New Mike.....SAME as the OLD Mike".

I watched the meltdown (3 part video on Twitter), and something's going on with him. He's always been bitter, thinking that the world is against him, and I think that has fueled his motivation to be a relevant tournament player, and there's no denying he's had success. There's also no denying that he's entertained us over the years, but now he just seems to becoming more bitter as he's getting older.

Everything that was said (maybe slow internet connection, person is a multi-tabler) is a possibility. Also, here's her tweet too that contests that she wasn't slowrolling him.

SO true, honestly the meltdown crossed the line from a "tilt" reaction to being someone that is seriously troubled. If he really is that tilted, he picked the wrong career. It would be a huge thing to be able to overcome that kind of a mental leak and actually manage to be a winning player; I doubt it is even possible.

Anything frustrating on the table should get easier over the years, it is part of being a professional player (as well as a decent person, come to think of it)!

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SO true, honestly the meltdown crossed the line from a "tilt" reaction to being someone that is seriously troubled. If he really is that tilted, he picked the wrong career. It would be a huge thing to be able to overcome that kind of a mental leak and actually manage to be a winning player; I doubt it is even possible.

Anything frustrating on the table should get easier over the years, it is part of being a professional player (as well as a decent person, come to think of it)!

I agree. It's not horrible if the behavior is part of his shtick of building a poker personality. But I would say the Phil H. has the market cornered in that area!

His play wasn't terrible either. He was trying to increase his stack by ~50% early.

But the worst part, as a professional, was his surprise that it was a freezeout! OK, that made me laugh!

I wonder if his play would have changed knowing the tournie was a freezeout? LOL

Look - anybody can get unlucky - anybody can make a mistake - but a professional (or any entrant for that matter) should know the structure of the tournament that they paid $1k to enter.

Better luck Mr. Matusow!

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually like when Mike is getting slow-rolled, he isnt the most adequate person at the tables, he talks a lot of shit and he isnt respectable to others.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not sure how it happened and Mike does over react most times, but I was slow rolled in CC game and the A hole said he was making a point. Not sure who to as I never once miss played or ran down the clock on anyone. So yes I recorded his name so I can mess with him if we are ever at the same table.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mike's getting rowdy again. He played terribly. Why did he even launch the broadcast? The girl was his rival. She made a check on the flop and provoked Matusov to a stupid bluff. Mike Matusov was tricked like a child.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree. It's not horrible if the behavior is part of his shtick of building a poker personality. But I would say the Phil H. has the market cornered in that area!

His play wasn't terrible either. He was trying to increase his stack by ~50% early.

But the worst part, as a professional, was his surprise that it was a freezeout! OK, that made me laugh!

I wonder if his play would have changed knowing the tournie was a freezeout? LOL

Look - anybody can get unlucky - anybody can make a mistake - but a professional (or any entrant for that matter) should know the structure of the tournament that they paid $1k to enter.

Better luck Mr. Matusow!

I totally agree about that--the idea of not knowing the structure of a $1k tournament is crazy--especially since the tournaments have been getting heat for their atypical blind structures and high rake.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Mike Matusow is clearly a very stable genius in the mold of his idol. I don't think having AA on a dry board and thinking before calling a shove in the very early stages of a wsop event constitutes a slow roll. I wonder if Mike thinks he was bluffing? If you are trying to convince your opponent that you have a strong hand when you do not, isn't it expected that they will hesitate to call a shove on the flop with the PF nuts?

Someone should explain to The Mouth that his opponent may actually be aware of the fact that the game is a freezeout. That is, they should explain that after they explain to him that it's a freezeout. :deal:

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Mike Matusow is clearly a very stable genius in the mold of his idol. I don't think having AA on a dry board and thinking before calling a shove in the very early stages of a WSOP event constitutes a slow roll. I wonder if Mike thinks he was bluffing? If you are trying to convince your opponent that you have a strong hand when you do not, isn't it expected that they will hesitate to call a shove on the flop with the PF nuts?

Someone should explain to The Mouth that his opponent may actually be aware of the fact that the game is a freezeout. That is, they should explain that after they explain to him that it's a freezeout. :deal:

Mike's rant was taken out on a woman, who has thick skin. :)

In the end, it wouldn't have mattered if his remarks were intended for a man or a woman. It's pretty disgusting what he said during and after. Mike is losing it or has already lost it, in my opinion.

Which leads me to wonder (without looking it up) has he ever been reprimanded for his 'rants' in the past?

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
should Mike have been disciplined for him berating a player

With regards to the Mike Matusow blow up, it doesn't really surprise me that he didn't or doesn't get punished. Take a look at what happened when Phil H kept calling one player idiot after he was beaten with 10-4 for 5-6 minutes. Phil did get punished but he was able to appeal and he got off with just a warning which doesn't surprise me.

I still feel Mike should be disciplined for his online behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mike's rant was taken out on a woman, who has thick skin. :)

In the end, it wouldn't have mattered if his remarks were intended for a man or a woman. It's pretty disgusting what he said during and after. Mike is losing it or has already lost it, in my opinion.

Which leads me to wonder (without looking it up) has he ever been reprimanded for his 'rants' in the past?

The rant(s) is unsportsman-like. But the chatbox was deactivated so...no TOS rules broken?

Katie is right. The longer you play poker the easier the beats are emotionally.

But - he put this beat on himself. It was not a badbeat. It was a perceived slow roll.

Sighhhhh….

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The rant(s) is unsportsman-like. But the chatbox was deactivated so...no TOS rules broken?

Katie is right. The longer you play poker the easier the beats are emotionally.

But - he put this beat on himself. It was not a badbeat. It was a perceived slow roll.

Sighhhhh….

That's true, the chat box was disabled.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember when Shaun Deeb slow rolled Matusow on poker after dark. He did it jokingly and telegraphed it to a couple of other players at the table. I actually think Shaun wanted The Mouth to look at him so that he could kind of let him in on it before he actually turned his cards over, but Mike never looked at him until he turned his cards over. Everyone thought it was funny, but Matusow took exception to it. He was pretty pissed about it and the youtube video doesn't really do it justice. There was more to it than what the video shows. He didn't go way overboard, but you could see that it really bothered him and he let it be known in know uncertain terms that hated to be slow rolled.

Of course, having seen that scene play out in it's entirety, it's easy for me to imagine him having a bad reaction to someone doing it to him again. But, after reading some of the responses to this thread, I have chosen not to even watch the video of this latest reaction to a "perceived" slow roll. I'm afraid it's going to cause me to lose too much respect for him. I'm just going to assume that it was really bad and file it away in my mental file cabinet under Mike Matusow really hates being slow rolled.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember when Shaun Deeb slow rolled Matusow on poker after dark. He did it jokingly and telegraphed it to a couple of other players at the table. I actually think Shaun wanted The Mouth to look at him so that he could kind of let him in on it before he actually turned his cards over, but Mike never looked at him until he turned his cards over. Everyone thought it was funny, but Matusow took exception to it. He was pretty pissed about it and the youtube video doesn't really do it justice. There was more to it than what the video shows. He didn't go way overboard, but you could see that it really bothered him and he let it be known in know uncertain terms that hated to be slow rolled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCjGR3iuiiM

Of course, having seen that scene play out in it's entirety, it's easy for me to imagine him having a bad reaction to someone doing it to him again. But, after reading some of the responses to this thread, I have chosen not to even watch the video of this latest reaction to a "perceived" slow roll. I'm afraid it's going to cause me to lose too much respect for him. I'm just going to assume that it was really bad and file it away in my mental file cabinet under Mike Matusow really hates being slow rolled.

That Poker Night in America episode was the first time I was aware of Mike being so upset.

I don't know if they had a bounty on tilting players or what?

Of course all these guys know each other and it seemed like a home-game to me.

If you watch the whole episode then you can see the attacks on Mike building up.

And of course you can pause the video and actually see the point in time when Mike's heart breaks!

The table was being cruel like a bunch of mean girls in high school.

But I mean - take a Xanax - get some therapy - get over it!

And also - look at that micro smirk on Deeb's face! lol

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always thought that was just Deeb's face. To me his smile looks like a smirk, but it's all the time so I just thought he looked like that. The more I think about it though, the less cool it seems to slow roll someone and expect them to take it with a grin. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad in a regular sized pot, but getting your ass felted is always going to sting and a slow roll is just adding insult to injury in a situation like that.

But since you remember that episode, you can tell me if I'm correct that Mike ended up leaving the table after that.

TheSeaWizard

TheSeaWizard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Say, how come Mike felt the need to bring politics into poker at that time? I am pretty sure there is a time and place for politics and poker isn't the place for it. He should have been focusing on playing solid poker and not blaming "leftists" for being slowrolled, however one may feel about being slowrolled. Why should anyone care about his politics?

Maybe Jonathan Little was right when he said "slowrolling doesn't matter."

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Say, how come Mike felt the need to bring politics into poker at that time? I am pretty sure there is a time and place for politics and poker isn't the place for it. He should have been focusing on playing solid poker and not blaming "leftists" for being slowrolled, however one may feel about being slowrolled. Why should anyone care about his politics?

Maybe Jonathan Little was right when he said "slowrolling doesn't matter."

Yeah, I was trying hard not to lose the respect I had for Mike Matusow. I didn't realize that he was a die hard Trump supporter. He does seem to share Donald Trump's ability to tie unrelated issues together and make them all about himself and how he's the victim of some kind of conspiracy. Now I have completely lost all respect for him as a person.

With regards to the Mike Matusow blow up, it doesn't really surprise me that he didn't or doesn't get punished. Take a look at what happened when Phil H kept calling one player idiot after he was beaten with 10-4 for 5-6 minutes. Phil did get punished but he was able to appeal and he got off with just a warning which doesn't surprise me.

I still feel Mike should be disciplined for his online behavior.

If the Hellmuth incident is the one I think you're referring to, it happened during the main event. If that is the incident, I thought the other guy took it very well. And I loved the way he responded, basically saying that unlike Phil, who had his way paid by sponsors, he had bought in with $10,000 of his own money, so he could blow it off however he chose to. And again, if that is the incident you're referring to, I remember it being Mike Matusow who came over and told Phil that he had crossed the line. That was one of the reasons that I respected Mike.

As far as Matusow being disciplined, I don't know who would or could discipline him for what he says on his own youtube channel. The poker site doesn't have any power over the content on his channel, unless they sponsor him. Really, his sponsors are the only ones that could hold him responsible in some way by withholding their sponsorship. Or us by not visiting his channel or following him on twitter. If his viewership drops, then his sponsors may withdraw. But that's not likely to happen, is it? After all, it is all entertainment, right? Whether you like it or not, you still want to see it for yourself, the same way everyone loves to see a good rant from the Poker Brat.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always thought that was just Deeb's face. To me his smile looks like a smirk, but it's all the time so I just thought he looked like that. The more I think about it though, the less cool it seems to slow roll someone and expect them to take it with a grin. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad in a regular sized pot, but getting your ass felted is always going to sting and a slow roll is just adding insult to injury in a situation like that.

But since you remember that episode, you can tell me if I'm correct that Mike ended up leaving the table after that.

If memory serves - Mike rebuys - gets felted again and then leaves the table. tells them they all suck as he's leaving - which just makes them laugh harder.

BTW....Mike is wearing a T-shirt that says "0 blowups" !!!!!

This was another situation where Mike shoves and it is Deeb who not only slow-rolls but slow calls with the nuts. If it is me - I tell my opponent verbally as soon as he calls that I have quads. He will be surprised anyways (cuz he called).

I don't think Mike is studying his opponent in this hand. Deeb is smiling and laughing. Of course I don't know what the specific history is between these players. Like from the night before even.

There are a lot of hands that beat an over pair when Mike shoves. Flush is there - any 5 - pocket TT - also slowplayed AA KK QQ. But I am probably also going broker here.

Alternate way to play: Mike checks the turn - Deeb shoves the river -- can Mike fold?

Last edited:
IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, and by the way, I forgot to say that, since I've lost respect from Mike Matusow now anyway, I went ahead and watched the video. I didn't watch the whole three part rant, but I did see the hand play out. Poker Mike points out several reasonable possibilities as to why a call may have taken so long to come. Well how about, she just took time to think about it before calling off all of her chips two hands into a $1000 tournament. After all, he might have flopped a set or had something like J-Q and been open ended. Yeah, very few hands are going to be ahead of her right there, but she can make the correct call and still lose the hand. For instance, if I'm in that spot and I make that call, the board isn't going to run out 2-J. It's going to run out K-J every time.

It reminds me of a hand Annette Obrestad played the first time she played the WSOP main event. I believe she had gone all-in. Her opponent took time to consider before making the call. When he made the call and turned his cards over, she felt like he had slow rolled her. She didn't know why it had taken him so long to make the call. She couldn't imagine what he could have possibly had to think about. She wasn't overly nasty about it, but she did have an attitude. I think she might have still been going on when the turn was dealt where she sucked out. The guy told her that was what he had been considering before making the call.

There is more to think about in those situations than whether I'm ahead this second. I've seen players lay down when they knew they were ahead at that moment, but didn't want to coin flip for all of their chips. I don't think it's inappropriate to try to take a second to consider all of the possibilities before calling off your stack two hands into a tournament.

Kid_M

Kid_M

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Mike has always been this glass half empty/the world is out to get me type of person..

Which came first the slow roll or the Mike Meltdown!?

Last edited:
Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It reminds me of a hand Annette Obrestad played the first time she played the WSOP main event. I believe she had gone all-in. Her opponent took time to consider before making the call. When he made the call and turned his cards over, she felt like he had slow rolled her. She didn't know why it had taken him so long to make the call. She couldn't imagine what he could have possibly had to think about. She wasn't overly nasty about it, but she did have an attitude. I think she might have still been going on when the turn was dealt where she sucked out. The guy told her that was what he had been considering before making the call.

There is more to think about in those situations than whether I'm ahead this second. I've seen players lay down when they knew they were ahead at that moment, but didn't want to coin flip for all of their chips. I don't think it's inappropriate to try to take a second to consider all of the possibilities before calling off your stack two hands into a tournament.

I remember seeing when she talked about this and I could really relate! I played online professionally before I ever played a serious live tournament. It took me a while to realize that people I don't know generally call me a lot tighter in person than online, most likely as a result of my image/just being a woman. I remember a WSOPC in Atlantic City where I thought I was slow rolled initially, but on further reflection realized this was unlikely to be the case.

Fortunately after working that out, I realized that I can generally play laggier in person than I can get away with online :)