Men playing in ladies poker tournaments?

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hello.🙂
In fact, I have a rather ambivalent feeling about this.
On the one hand: why not? If he is the only man in the women's tournament, then it can still be called a women's tournament. 🤷‍♀️
Moreover, such an excellent prize for knocking it out can add excitement to women and motivate them to get rid of he sooner. ☺
On the other hand, I may be wrong, but as far as I remember, it is impossible to prohibit men from playing in a women's tournament by gender, but men, unlike women, must pay the full cost of the ticket (although maybe I'm confused with some specific event).
I just don't understand why men climb into the women's tournament? Because there are fewer rivals there? 🤦‍♀️There are really fewer women, so why not let them play in peace? 😤It seems that going to the women's tournament, men naively believe that no one will knock them out there. 😤

But, in fact, specifically in this case, I would not be upset by the presence of a man. It's a pity that no one has knocked him out.🤷‍♀️

O

oroochimaru

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why did the tournament organizers permit him to participate is the true mystery. Has he paid off the organizers? :unsure:
Or is it a publicity stunt to get media attention for the organizers.

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Why would he do that. It's a lady's event and he should not have played. It sad to be honest.
I think it shows a "special" kind of arrogance and insecurity at the same time...very sad!

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Why did the tournament organizers permit him to participate is the true mystery. Has he paid off the organizers? :unsure:
Or is it a publicity stunt to get media attention for the organizers.
At some events, the organizers say the buy in is someting like $1,000, but women get a 75% discount and only have to pay $250 (just an example). From what I can tell, this venue did not do that.

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hello.🙂
In fact, I have a rather ambivalent feeling about this.
On the one hand: why not? If he is the only man in the women's tournament, then it can still be called a women's tournament. 🤷‍♀️
Moreover, such an excellent prize for knocking it out can add excitement to women and motivate them to get rid of he sooner. ☺
On the other hand, I may be wrong, but as far as I remember, it is impossible to prohibit men from playing in a women's tournament by gender, but men, unlike women, must pay the full cost of the ticket (although maybe I'm confused with some specific event).
I just don't understand why men climb into the women's tournament? Because there are fewer rivals there? 🤦‍♀️There are really fewer women, so why not let them play in peace? 😤It seems that going to the women's tournament, men naively believe that no one will knock them out there. 😤

But, in fact, specifically in this case, I would not be upset by the presence of a man. It's a pity that no one has knocked him out.🤷‍♀️
Sometimes when the organizers price the tournament higher then give women a discount, it can discourage men from playing. Legally, they cannot bar men. Or, if they do play, they have to pay a premium. I just think it is bad sportmanship on his part. Yes, it would have been great if a woman could have knocked him out of the tournament.

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why did the tournament organizers permit him to participate is the true mystery.
To avoid legal problems. You cannot prevent a man from paying the buy in and signing up for the tourney because of anti discrimination laws

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Sometimes when the organizers price the tournament higher then give women a discount, it can discourage men from playing. Legally, they cannot bar men. Or, if they do play, they have to pay a premium. I just think it is bad sportmanship on his part. Yes, it would have been great if a woman could have knocked him out of the tournament.
Well, then I remember everything correctly regarding the conditions under which men participate.
Yes, I agree that you shouldn't go where you weren't invited - it's ugly on the part of men and shows what they are, but on the other hand, if a man positions it as a help and an additional bonus for his head or, in case of victory, he wants to direct the winnings to charity or on the development of women's events, then why not - it won't look bad in my eyes.
I'm trying to say that if the goals of men in this case are selfish, then it's really sad. But, the goals may be noble.

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't play the ladies event and I think it's very douchey thing a man to do so, but it's hilarious that they try so hard to bust him and even put a bounty on him and grandpa ended up taking the whole thing.

It's fair to say that all the hate backfired and the ladies kept playing bad poker because they wanted him out.

20230430 211228

Last edited:
mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I wouldn't play the ladies event and I think it's very douchy thing a man to do so, but it's hilarious that they try so hard to bust him and even put a bounty on him and grandpa ended up taking the whole thing.

It's fair to say that all the hate backlashed and the ladies kept playing bad poker because they wanted him out.
Yes, sometimes when you go after a certain player, it backfires. But, what a jerk!

M

mickeycrimm

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
When I read about the man winning the WPT Ladies Event at Seminole Hard Rock I immediately thought about transgender athletes in women's sports. Why should poker be any different? Take the wsop Ladies Event, for example. It's a 10K buy-in but women get a 90% discount, or pay just 1K to play. The men have to pay 10K to play.This has worked to keep men out of the event.

But what about the current political climate? What about men identifying as women? What's to stop a horde of burly men verbally declaring they are women to play the ladies event for 1K instead of 10K? Can the WSOP legally try to charge them more than they charge women.?Can the WSOP keep these "transgender women" out of the event? I think they open themselves up to lawsuits if they do. In other sports a male identiying as a woman cannot be questioned about it. They have to accept what the person says.

If women in poker support transgender athletes in women's sports then they must support it in poker too. You can't have your cake and eat it too. It's going to be interesting to see if a transgender controversy develops at this year's WSOP Ladies Event.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
@mickeycrimm I support transgender women playing in women's poker events (as long as they identify as female).
I agree completely, because a person's physiology doesn't have any effect at all in a game like poker.
However, transgender women in physical sports is a whole other discussion in my opinion.
Again, I agree completely. My opinion on that is that the sanctioning bodies, athletes, and parents of athletes who are minors should be the ones who work this out. It shouldn't be up to outsiders, including government, no matter which side of the debate they might be on.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In other sports a male identiying as a woman cannot be questioned about it. They have to accept what the person says.
That is only partially true. Sanctioning bodies have requirements that the athletes have to meet and those requirements usually are based upon the athlete being on hormone therapy for an extended period of time, and/or having to meet requirements for testosterone in their blood. I doubt that many, if any, men who aren't trans would want to do that in order to compete.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Though I've never played in one, I've heard that the same thing happens in tourneys for senior citizens.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There’s so many available tournaments I don’t think men should join the women in this tournament. It’s a ladies event and should remain that way. Personally I respect the event and what it’s designed for and never would participate in a woman’s event. Why deliberately join this event and make ladies less likely to wanna play.

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
@MikeCarasone and @MK_ Exactly. These events are meant to bring more women into poker in a more comfortable environment. Some will only play ladies events, but many will branch out to open events.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I read about the man winning the WPT Ladies Event at Seminole Hard Rock I immediately thought about transgender athletes in women's sports. Why should poker be any different? Take the WSOP Ladies Event, for example. It's a 10K buy-in but women get a 90% discount, or pay just 1K to play. The men have to pay 10K to play.This has worked to keep men out of the event.

But what about the current political climate? What about men identifying as women? What's to stop a horde of burly men verbally declaring they are women to play the ladies event for 1K instead of 10K? Can the WSOP legally try to charge them more than they charge women.?Can the WSOP keep these "transgender women" out of the event? I think they open themselves up to lawsuits if they do. In other sports a male identiying as a woman cannot be questioned about it. They have to accept what the person says.

If women in poker support transgender athletes in women's sports then they must support it in poker too. You can't have your cake and eat it too. It's going to be interesting to see if a transgender controversy develops at this year's WSOP Ladies Event.

We have had trans players in Ladies events for many years and it has never been a problem for any of us. We do support it in poker and were supporting it before anyone else ever talked about it.

This guy was not a trans person so let's keep this thread on topic please.

CardsChat members have already proven that they cannot respectfully discuss trans players in poker so any further references to it in this thread will be deleted.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I suppose it is going to happen, especially with Trans rights etc, You only have to Identify as a Woman to take part in some other Women's Sports, why not Poker!
Personally I would feel awkward sitting at a Poker table with 8 beautiful Women playing against me, I just wouldn't know where to look first!:):)
Oh That's Right, My Cards!

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think only women should participate in a women's tournament I don't know how much you have to disrespect yourself to be there, and secondly, how the organization allowed him to participate in such a tournament, I think it's marketing and this will attract a lot of attention and then there will be more women participants

mbermejo174

mbermejo174

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
i dont see any problem men playing with women, but when its a women's tournament, it has to be allowed only women. The staff must do something about it!